Jonah was devoured, digested, and died in the belly of a great fish.

I'm arguing that Jonah was devoured, digested, and died in the belly of a great fish. Nobody could survive inside a great fish for 3 days and 3 nights. [0] The jaw produces the most pressure of all muscles in humans. [1]

"Pressure is different from force — pressure takes into account the area over which a force is exerted. The muscle that takes the prize for delivering the greatest amount of pressure is the masseter, or the jaw muscle, according to the book "Clinical Oral Science" (Reed Educational and Professional Publishing, 1998)." [1]

I can only imagine the jaw strength of such a fish. Let alone possible teeth and stomach acids. Finally, there is the matter of oxygen, I don't see how Jonah could breath for that long.

"In the 1980s, Mayo Clinic researchers measured digestion time in 21 healthy people. Total transit time, from eating to elimination in stool, averaged 53 hours" [2]

I know this is human digestion times, but in general food doesn't stay long inside a human's stomach. Meaning the stomach digests very quickly.

Even if Jonah's metabolic activity was decreased Jonah could have maybe survived an hour or two at max.

"There are other ways to suppress metabolic activity. When US toddler Michelle Funk fell into an icy stream in 1986, she survived an estimated 66 minutes underwater, preserved by deep hypothermia that reduced her metabolic rate to almost nothing." [3]

Awake would be even less with only about 22 minutes, and that's assuming pure oxygen being inhaled before hand. [4]

The only way Jonah could have survived for three days and three night is with God providing a miracle. Yet, within the Bible I haven't read any miraculous accounts of God helping Jonah survive the time within the belly of the great fish.

To recap, the teeth would have shredded Jonah, the jaw would have crushed Jonah even without teeth, the stomach acid would digest Jonah, and he would have ran out of oxygen within two hours at most. The only event that could have saved Jonah was a miracle by God. Yet, there is no mention of such a miracle. I find this hard to swallow.

Furhtermore, the Bible clearly states Jonah was dead. Yes, that's right, the Bible states there was no such mircale and that Jonah died inside the belly of the great fish.

"From inside the fish Jonah prayed to the Lord his God. 2 He said:
“In my distress I called to the Lord,
and he answered me.
From deep in the realm of the dead I called for help,"

So where do people get these inaccurate ideas that Jonah survived inside the whale? Clearly, in my mind Jonah was killed by the whale and the Lord ressurrected him and had the whale spat Jonah out. Thanks for reading and thanks in advance for accepting.

The story is used as an allegory. It was used by Christ in reference to himself, his death and ressurection.

*Of Jonah-

(Forshadows Christ's death and ressurection)

-For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of a huge fish, so the Son of Man will be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

Matthew 12:40

Jonah did come out alive according to Christ.

-The men of Nineveh will stand up at the judgment with this generation and condemn it; for they repented at the preaching of Jonah, and now something greater than Jonah is here.

Matthew 12:41

-We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life.

Romans 6:4

Christ referenced many Old Testament stories as analogies, some allegorically, metaphorically, and literally in reference to the day of judgement.

-The Queen of the South will rise at the judgment with this generation and condemn it; for she came from the ends of the earth to listen to Solomon's wisdom, and now something greater than Solomon is here.

Matthew 12:42

*With Noah-

(Forshadows Christ's protective covering blood, from the wrath on a world of violence with judgement, then a New Heavens and new Earth)

-Now the earth was corrupt in God's sight and was full of violence.

Genesis 6:11

-Just as it was in the days of Noah, so also will it be in the days of the Son of Man.

Luke 17:26

-People were eating, drinking, marrying and being given in marriage up to the day Noah entered the ark. Then the flood came and destroyed them all.

Luke 17:27

*And with Lot-

(Forshadows a rapture like event going into wrath and judgement due to bloodshed of the innocent, and rampant immorality)

-It was the same in the days of Lot. People were eating and drinking, buying and selling, planting and building.

Luke 17:28

-But the day Lot left Sodom, fire and sulfur rained down from heaven and destroyed them all.

Luke 17:29

-Therefore, just as sin entered the world through one man, and death through sin, and in this way death came to all people, because all sinned.

Romans 5:1

-Nevertheless, death reigned from the time of Adam to the time of Moses, even over those who did not sin by breaking a command, as did Adam, who is a pattern of the one to come.

Romans 5:14

-But the gift is not like the trespass. For if the many died by the trespass of the one man, how much more did God's grace and the gift that came by the grace of the one man, Jesus Christ, overflow to the many!

Romans 5:15

-Nor can the gift of God be compared with the result of one man's sin: The judgment followed one sin and brought condemnation, but the gift followed many trespasses and brought justification.

Romans 5:16

-For if, by the trespass of the one man, death reigned through that one man, how much more will those who receive God's abundant provision of grace and of the gift of righteousness reign in life through the one man, Jesus Christ!

Romans 5:17

-Consequently, just as one trespass resulted in condemnation for all people, so also one righteous act resulted in justification and life for all people.

Romans 5:18

-For just as through the disobedience of the one man the many were made sinners, so also through the obedience of the one man the many will be made righteous.

Romans 5:19

The Old Testament is a winding metaphorical allegory of man's fall into sin, the law, Christ's life, death, and ressurection, the battle between God's children (with Christ) against evil in the darkness confounding darkness with light, and then of judgement, the wrath of God, redemption, and God's love for His children, and the price he paid at Calvary showing the highest conceivable judgement and the highest conceivable love manifested in and on one man, Christ, thus transforming us into His image as is pleasing in His sight.

The point? Seeing the story of Jonah is used comparatively with our ressurection to life in Christ in Romans and Christ's ressurection to life from death in the Gospel, and it tells us of Jonah doing other things after escaping the fish, we can safely assume he was alive and well when he escaped the fish.

Round 2 rebuttals

"The story is used as an allegory. It was used by Christ in reference to himself, his death and ressurection."Brontoraptor

Whoa, Brontoraptor slow down. You mention Jesus Christ then make all these references assuming Jesus Christ existed. This is the old testament we are talking about here. To jump from old testament to new you have to provide proof Jesus existed. You have not given any proof other than the new testament.

"Where Do I Find It?

Jonah is the fifth of the so-called "minor prophets," the twelve shorter prophetic books that make up the final portion of the Old Testament. " [6]

I will attack my opponent's rebuttal by claiming that Jesus Christ never existed. First and foremost there is a lack of historical evidence that Jesus Christ existed. [7] [8] Impact, the lack of evidence that Jesus Christ existed indicates that Jesus never existed. Thus, Brontoraptor's entire argument is destroyed.

Finally, Jews and many other religions don't believe in Jesus as the son of God.

"Stated simply, the Jewish view of Jesus of Nazareth is that he was an ordinary Jewish man and, most likely, a preacher living during the Roman occupation of Israel in the 1st century C.E. The Romans executed him — and many other nationalistic and religious Jews — for speaking out against the Roman authorities and their abuses." [9]

This provides further evidence that even if Jesus existed, he was not the son of God. Impact, since Jesus either didn't exist or even if he did, he wasn't the son of God, Jesus' interpetation of Jonah and the great fish should have no impact, thus destroying Brontoratpor's argument. Thanks for debating.

"assuming Jesus Christ existed."

He existed. I've already done this debate. It's an easy refute. To simplify, there is more evidence for Jesus than most historical figures, and that is if you exclude Biblical references all together. Pro can argue with history and historians if he feels so inclined. Or he can start another seperate debate about the "historcal truth of Christ", and I will gladly defeat him.

("Was Jesus Christ a Historical Person" Debate)

"Finally, Jews and many other religions don't believe in Jesus as the son of God."

Except for the the Jews who started Christianity, Jews for Jesus", etc...

Buhhdism is a nontheistic religion that claims no creator.

If Pro wants to try to give Hinduism some logical validity despite its rapid displacement by Islam, he is welcome to challenge me in another debate.

If Pro wants to take Pro on why we should bow logically before any other religion, I'll gladly dismantle that argument in a seperate debate.

Here is Islam's correlation to the Bible-

Seeing Pro rejects Christ, saying this argument is based off of the OT alone, then all I have to do is prove Jonah was alive after exiting the fish. Pro has made my argument easier for me.

As for Jonah, here is what we know according to the story:

1)Jonah was engulfed by a large fish. never mentions him "dying" specifically in the story. Pro has assumed attributes to the story. Specualtion is proof of nothing. I can say, "I think Michelle Obama is a man because Barack has referred to her/him as "Michael" on multiple accounts", but it is not proof of anything. Thus, Pro is wrong and cannot prove his assertion using only the OT.

2)Jonah was vomited out by the fish alive. (Jonah 2:10 and Jonah 3:1)

So...unless Pro believes in ressurection, Jonah could not have ever died, seeing he was alive and preaching in Ninevah after the big fish swallowing. Thus, Pro is on thin ice in this debate and it is cracking quickly.

Figures you would think Jesus Christ existed, not only as a historical figure, but as the son of God. This was about 2,000 years ago. They didn't' have printing presses, digital cameras, the internet, and so forth. The Bible has been translated a bunch of times. In the early days the Bible was just pieces of parchment. None of this fancy printing press created book we are used to.

I've been conned so many times, I don't even believe the roman empire existed. Why? Lack of evidence. Just shows we are diametrically opposed in what we believe and don't believe. I can only guess people who believed Jesus existed had a fairly sheltered life. As for me, I've gotten beaten around and betrayed enough I've gone somewhat feral and trust nobody, not even myself.

I'll tell you what I think happened with Jonah. I think Jonah had an identical twin brother. Jonah, fell of a ship and got eaten by a great white shark. Then, his twin brother replaced him. End of story. Simple, logical, and believable. Same with Jesus, if Jesus existed he has a twin brother named Judas. Judas was crucified on the cross, and then Jesus went on to preach.

Watch the movie the Prestige (2006). This is the story of Jonah and Jesus Christ. [10].

"I don't even believe the roman empire existed."

Well...that says it all.

"As for me, I've gotten beaten around and betrayed enough I've gone somewhat feral and trust nobody, not even myself."

Posted by Stupidape 2 months ago
My deepest and most sincere sympathies for your loss brontoraptor.
Posted by brontoraptor 2 months ago
Quit making excuses and act like am an for God's sake. I watched my entire family be gunned down as a kid in Libya, fled for asylum to the Netherlands, fought to become a legal American citizen, then made my own company and made myself. If I can get through mine, you can quit being a spoiled American and man up like the rest of us. There are billions with lives you would never trade out with. Get up and act like you have testicles.
Posted by Stupidape 2 months ago
Way to ignore my last arguments Brontoraptor. Will be the last time I tell anything personal about myself on the internet. Your response is scarily enough typical. Seems to be a trend on the web, anyone complains, even a little and attack them for complaining.

I still think its much more plausible that Jonah had an identical twin as opposed to surviving the belly of a great fish for three days and three nights.
Posted by vi_spex 2 months ago
Posted by Commondebator 2 months ago
Con doesn't have to disprove the existence of Jonah. No one can "disprove" anything. The burden of proof is on you, and if there isn't any evidence that Jonah exists in the first place, then that automatically means "Jonah" was never eaten by a fish.
Posted by Stupidape 2 months ago
"This debate could be an easy loss for Pro, provided that con could state that Jonah never really existed the first place...That would basically defeat the entire resolution..."

Stating is one, proving non-existence of Jonah would be more difficult. Plenty of people saw Jesus, he is a real person. The question remains though was Jesus the son of God? Does God exist? Just because Jesus Christ exists, doesn't automatically mean he was special.

Since Jesus was a real person, son of God or otherwise, then probably Jonah was a real person also. Any ordinary person can be eaten by a great fish. So, I don't think arguing Jonah never existed is a strong argument.
Posted by Commondebator 2 months ago
This debate could be an easy loss for Pro, provided that con could state that Jonah never really existed the first place...That would basically defeat the entire resolution...
Posted by JesusIsGodForever 2 months ago
In the ESV bible it says that called out to the Lord, out of the belly of sheol, which means 'world of the dead'.
Woah, that's a great explanation.