Joseph Stalin was more evil than Adolf Hitler

I will argue that the actions of Joseph Stalin were more evil than those of Adolf Hitler. *Evil being defined by kantainin ethics and morality

I accept this challenge. I will argue that Adolf Hitler was much more evil than Stalin.

Adolf Hitler is often thought of as one of the most cruel leaders in history. The westerner world has characterized him as the most brutal leader of his age. North east of the nazi regime rested the Soviet Union. Led by one of the cruelest and most brutal rulers of all time.

Stalin rose to power by piggy backing off of the influence of Vladimir Lenin. After becomeing the leader of the Soviet Union, Stalin proceeded to push Russia into national socialism. Socalism, being a political perspective is by no means evil. Although, Stalin soon used his power as a totalitarianist leader to brutally execute tens of millions. Stalin actually signed documents requiring his to police/military to kill a minimum amount of people per day. The daily quota of executions Stalin demanded -regardless of a crime - soon caused the numer of deaths under his orders to far surpass that of Hitlers. ( )

It is often claimed that Hitler is the ultimate evil of the last thousand years because he attempted to purge a race from the earth. The truth is he used the jews as a lightning rod for all of germanys problems, thus unifying his counrty against one enemy. Wheareas; Stalin killed to create fear amongst his people and solidify his position as the undisputed and terrified leader of the USSR. This technique has been used for centuries by the wolrds most brutal and feared dictators.

Joseph Stalin was responsible for 3-60 million deaths far surpassing that of Hitlers. The only reason this topic is even under debate due to the fact that Stalin opposed the Nazi forces. If he had not fought against the same enemy as the allied forces he would easily be known as the the most diabolical man to walk the earth.

-Thank you opponent for selecting such an interesting topic to discuss. From my perspective, even as a Communist I think that Joseph Stalin was much more evil than Adolf Hitler. The reason I became a Communist was not because of Stalin. I have always been deeply influenced by Vladimir Lenin's and Karl Marx's idea. I have never looked up to Stalin as my inspiration for this ideology.

Who were they:

Before we start this debate, I think it is important to clarify who both of these individuals were.

Joseph Stalin: Joseph Stalin was the leader of the Soviet Union from 1920s until his death in 1953. Stalin was promoted as the general secretary of the Central Committee in 1922 after part taking in the Russian Revolution in 1917 (1). Before Stalin was able to reach his rule, he was an armed robber, a hired killer and a thief (my own knowledge).

Adolf Hitler: Adolf Hitler was the chancellor of Germany from 1933-1945 and a dictator of the Nazi Party from 1934-1945. Hitler was subsequently responsible for the World War II in Europe and the Holocaust (2).

Point 1:

It's true that Hitler did set up concentration camps which killed a lot of war prisoners and most importantly Jews. But I could argue that Stalin has committed human violation crimes which were much worse. For instance, Stalin has been setting up Gulags which were Soviet forced labor camps for war prisoners. Gulags were primarily located in Siberia, and the laborers were supposed to work in all kinds of conditions, no matter how cold it was or how sick the laborers were. Stalin has always claimed himself as the greatest ruler of all time. He has even tried to arrest a man, Gregory Zhukov who has protected and saved many Russian colonies during the World War II (1).

Point 2:

Stalin has caused the Ukrainian famine which killed over 2.4-7.5 people resulting in starvation. The famine was a cause of economical and political issues. The famine has begun in 1932 and ended in 1933. Mainly, it was caused by Stalin because the people spoke against his rule. The Ukrainians tried to start their own Independent Movement and speak out against Stalin.

Point 3: The summary

Stalin has approximately killed over 20 million people, including 14.5 million who starved to death. And one million were executed due to political offenses. 9.5 million were sent to labor camps, and none of the people returned from these camps alive (4).

Drakekachnic forfeited this round.

Samuel60 forfeited this round.
Posted by Samuel60 2 years ago
Sorry, I have changed my view point and decided to argue against Stalin.
Posted by Drakekachnic 2 years ago
Hitler blamed germanys problems on the jews to unite the country against a common enemy. Stalin killed peasants so he was feared as a leader
Posted by Dynasty2468 2 years ago
Impossible to debate since Joseph Stalin led Soviet Union to victory while Hitler's "Reich" crumbles in just 6 years. Joseph Stalin killed more people than Hitler, but HItler mainly focused on Jews and disabled while Stalin was killing off his rivals....Not sure which is more evil.
Posted by Drakekachnic 2 years ago
Wow I need to work on my spelling, haha.
Posted by FuzzyCatPotato 2 years ago
Ew, Kantian ethics
Vote Placed by bladerunner060 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Both sides forfeited. But I'm awarding conduct because Con attempted, rather bizarrely, to change what he was arguing for *to be what Pro was arguing for*. It wasn't even a concession; based on the comments and the lack of acknowledgement in the round for the change, I think it warrants conduct in addition to arguments. As always, happy to clarify this RFD.