Foliya
jgal5065

Junk food should be banned in schools.

jgal5065 has forfeited round #2.
Updated: 1 month ago Status: Debating Period

Foliya

Pro

Hello! In my opinion, it would be better if all fast food were banned in schools. First of all, junk food is very harmful: besides obesity, it leads to many problems connecting to digestion and skin. Also, children spend most of their time in school, so taking such measure can help them to follow healthy life style.
jgal5065

Con

Hello Foliya, I look forward to our discourse.

First off, I believe a proper definition of "junk food" is required for this debate to have any real meaning. I'm sure we can all agree that a candy bar, ice cream, or a bag of chips would fall under this definition, but what of food that are considered unhealthy, but certainly qualify as a meal? Is a cheeseburger junk food? Or chicken nuggets? Or pizza?

One could argue that, while having a normally, relatively healthy menu, a school could announce "Pizza Wednesday" to boost student morale and enthusiasm while having a (in the grand scheme of things) low impact on their overall health. Children are naturally drawn to junk food, with a biology that encourages consuming as many calories as possible but lacking sufficient wisdom to know the danger that can bring. Using this desire to reinforce good behavior could provide a net benefit in children's academic careers and life. Children enjoy junk food, but instead of banning it, we could seek to use that to our advantage.

My second point is simple. Junk food is cheap. While it would be lovely to put all the children on a strict, natural diet with all their nutritional needs met, it's a rather expensive endeavor. Serving anywhere between a few hundred to several thousand students requires that the kitchen function in certain ways. It's called a cafeteria for a reason. Things will need to be frozen. Anything that spoils quickly is unrealistic. Food needs to be mass produced everyday within a few hours, and there needs to be be an excess, to be absolutely sure no student could possibly be refused a meal. Junk food fits perfectly in this category, being cheap, easy to mass produce and store. It only amounts to one meal out of presumably three to a student and can be offered at an affordable rate to both the parents, and the taxpayers.

On top of all that, this is more a problem for parents of children to deal with rather than the state. I would presume under your changes to the system, children would still be allowed to bring their own lunches. If a parent truly cared about what their child consumed and was financially stable enough to send them with a quality meal, they would, and do. The ban of all junk food also encourages a form of a black market to form within the school. I can speak personally about going down to my local store on my bike to purchase Coca Cola only to pack it in my "lunch" the following week. I would sell this "contraband" to my fellow classmates and use the profits to purchase things to make my own lunch more enjoyable. A market will form whenever there is demand. And whether you'd like to admit it or not, the demand for junk food at school lunches is very real and won't go away as long as children are children.
Foliya

Pro

For me, junk food is food containing high levels of calories from sugar or fat with little fiber, protein, vitamins or minerals. All you said, including pizza, cheeseburger, is considered to be junk food.
Nowadays the large number of teenagers and children in the US suffer from the overweighting. Most of them don't have enough wiil power to force themselves to eat healthy food. In that case, the school policy of "healthy nuitrition" can help them significantly.
In additionif schools create the "Pizza Wednesday", it would seem like school manipulate and bulldose children with the help of junk food. in that case, children won't trust to the school any more
Posted by weezy_debating 1 month ago
weezy_debating
I think junk food shouldn't be completely banned because then kids would get really bored with lots and lots of healthy things and not a single create. However, i think schools should let kids have a little bit of junk food after a main meal. For example, today i had blackberry crumble after lunch. Thank you.