Nataliella
phil42

Just for fun! 1+1=2

phil42

Nataliella

Pro

I firmly believe that 1.0+1.0=2.0, or, 1+1=2. There is much physical proof of this. One example:
Put all your fingers down. Now hold up one of your fingers (just not your middle, because that's rude, although it doesn't matter in the mathematical sense). That is one finger. Now hold up another finger. If you know how to count, the next number should be two. You are holding up two fingers. Bravo!

For more proof of this, check your calculator. Whether it be your phone calculator or Googor your fancy algebraic calculator you used for calculus last year, you will get the same answer when you type in "1+1" and "=" (or "equals" or "ans" or "answer" or "go" or whatever other synonym for the answer of the equation): 2.

http://www.google.com...
Elementary School
My fine, healthy fingers
phil42

Con

Wrong! 1+1 does not equal two!

Proof: The word rain plus the word bow produce the word rainbow.
rain+bow= rainbow

The numerical number 1 added to the numerical number 1 produce the number 11!
1+1= 11

Using this logic, it is safe to conclude that 1+1 does not equal two!
Nataliella

Pro

I would like to thank my opponent for joining this argument.
I must refute, however, the notion that one word plus another word makes one compound word, and therefore 1+1=11 because the two numbers are next to each other. Using the commutative property of addition, we know that a+b=c, and therefore b+a=c. Let's try out this property with my opponent's theory that numbers are added by putting numbers next to each other. Let a represent 4, and b represent 9. So 4+9= 49, according to my opponent. But since b+a must also equal c, 9+4= 94. So mathematically, c must equal c. But 49 does not equal 94. Therefore, adding numbers by putting them side-by-side is wrong. The commutative property has no limitations or exceptions, so even though switching around 1 and 1 will still get you 11 if you go by my opponent's addition rule, other examples do not follow the commutative property, hence making 1+1 not 11.
Also, my opponent seems to have mixed up their place values. When I say 1+1, I mean the value of one plus the value of one (2), not the place value of one in the tens place value plus one in the ones place value (11).

Algebra 1 Class
phil42

Con

I would like to point out that it is the fault of my opponent for not specifying that she was arguing that the value of 1 plus the value of 1 equals the value of 2. Therefore, since I first introduced the number as a numerical number rather than a number with value, it is her fault for not specifying, so I shall stick to my conclusion.

My opponent says: "Using the commutative property of addition, we know that a+b=c, and therefore b+a=c. Let's try out this property with my opponent's theory that numbers are added by putting numbers next to each other. Let a represent 4, and b represent 9. So 4+9= 49, according to my opponent. But since b+a must also equal c, 9+4= 94. So mathematically, c must equal c. But 49 does not equal 94. Therefore, adding numbers by putting them side-by-side is wrong."

Since I am arguing that the idea that 1+1=2 is wrong, I am also opposed to the idea that a+b=c. a+b does not equal c because a+b= ab just as rain+bow = rainbow. bow+rain does not equal rainbow because it would equal bowrain. It all depends on the arrangement of the terms,silly.

Conclusion:
The numerical number 1 added to the numerical number 1 produces the numerical number 11
Posted by D.Wolf 3 years ago
D.Wolf
Ha-ha. Clever and interesting statements.
Posted by DerArchitekt 3 years ago
DerArchitekt
a=b
a^2=ab
a^2-b^2=ab-b^2
(a-b)(a+b)=b(a-b)
a+b=b
b+b=b
2b=b
2=1
Posted by PBJS 3 years ago
PBJS
Pple you can just argue in base 2 and one where 1+1 is 10 in base 2 and 1+1 doesnt even exist in base one, since there are no specifications to what base this number is in, 1+1 is not necessarily 2.

Think of the computers that use binomial base!!!
Posted by STAGIESTCOSINE 3 years ago
STAGIESTCOSINE
Con argues "a+b = ab" whereas Pro would argue ab =a*b. In a mathematical argument i'd go with the person applying algebra rather than person applying English linguistic semantics to written equations.
Posted by deever 3 years ago
deever
Rain+Bow =/= Rainbow. All you get is a wet piece of cloth.
Vote Placed by Ragnar 3 years ago
Ragnar
Nataliellaphil42Tied
Reasons for voting decision: CONDUCT: Terrible semantics from con. ARGUMENT: Indeed con got me to follow pro's finger thing, when I held up two fingers it resembled an 11, not a 2. In fact I'm not sure how to twist any of my fingers into such a thing.
Vote Placed by yoyopizza 3 years ago
yoyopizza
Nataliellaphil42Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Phil argued Con well, it was overall a funny argument with the true winner predesided, so I gave that to nataliella, and arguments to phil
Vote Placed by KroneckerDelta 3 years ago
KroneckerDelta
Nataliellaphil42Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro did not define the + operator in the first round. Con offered an alternate definition (concatenation) and showed that 1 + 1 != 2, using Con's definition. Con does not need to abide by the commutative property as Pro did not specify that their definition of + had such a property in Round 1. If Pro had properly framed the initial debate, it would have been framed in a way that would have made debate pointless. Pro's argument then becomes: assume 1 + 1 = 2, therefore 1 + 1 = 2. They must define + first and in doing so, they will basically make this assumption a priori. Pro did not rigorously define addition and thus Con was able to choose a more novel definition that did not have the property 1 + 1 = 2.
Vote Placed by Benshapiro 3 years ago
Benshapiro
Nataliellaphil42Tied
Reasons for voting decision: For some reason con made me question whether 1 + 1 = 2 or 11. It wasn't enough to convince me so ill say its a tie. Pro used google calculator as a source and con had no sources.
Vote Placed by PiningForASilverLining 3 years ago
PiningForASilverLining
Nataliellaphil42Tied
Reasons for voting decision: shaking my head, Con is just being silly and they know it