Juvenile offenders

Juvenile offenders who are 18 and younger should be tried as adults.

I accept. I believe that juvenile offenders who are under 18 should not be tried as adults.

I agree I don't think you read my position in it I'm against juvenile offenders being tried as adults
I think that they deserve a second chance and I think if you put a teenager In jail for life it makes them lose hope of ever being a better person. I have research that 90% of juvenile offenders dont turn out to be adult criminals so I think they deserve a second chance what's your say on it?

Sorry for misunderstanding your first statement. Despite the fact that I agree with you, I will be arguing for juvinile
offenders to be tried as adults.

My Argument

The first point I would like to make is the mentality that juvenile offenders have. They know that the punishment for commiting a crime which would get an adult in a large amount of trouble, will not get them in as much trouble. Therefore they are more likely to re-offend. I the UK alone, 72.3 per cent of under-18s re-offended within 12 months of being released from custody for the year ending September 2011. In addition 47% of adults are reconvicted within one year of release, but nearly three quarters (73%) of under 18 year olds are reconvicted within a year of release. This happens because the punishment is not as serious. If the were tried as adults the re-offending rates will be reduce because of the severity of the punishments. This will then save money and stop youths from becoming juvenile offenders in the first place.

Thank you for changing your view on it for the sake of the debate. :)
yes, those facts are high but I think its unfair that just because some don't use their second chance wisely dose not mean they all do. I read an article about this 17 year old kid who made a stupid mistake of drunk driving and killed someone, yes it is a devastating mistake and he was sent to life in jail. The kid whose name was James Stewart killed himself after being charged as an adult because he lost hope because just one really stupid mistake he will be in prison forever. I would source it but I cant find it online. so, in conclusion yes some people do deserve to rot in jail forever but I think if you do that to juvenile offenders you are depriving the world of what they could do if they change. you never know they might cure cancer or something.

Thank you for your argument. The 17 year old you described did make a silly mistake and was therefore given a life sentence which may seem unfair, but it fits in with the three main resons of imprisonment.

The first one is Punishment. The boy was punished, probably to harshly, but it was still to make sure the the next main reason for imprisonment works correctly and that is Prevention/Rehabilitation. This means that the 17 year old, after going to jail for most of his life of is highly unlikely to drink drive again as he has had a first hand experience of the consequences of drinking driving. The story of the 17 year old and his punishmen lead on the one of the most important reasons for sending people to jail and that is Deterence. The fact that one peson was given a life sentence means that someone who will see the story from the news, the internet, magazines e.t.c, will be less likely to drink drive becaus they have seen what can happen to them.

So despite the fact that one person ot a harsh sentence, his story is likely to reduce the chances of anyone who have heard it, drink driving and one of those people who may have decided not to drive home after he went the pub because he's heard of the 17 year old's story might be the one to find a solution to cancer.

To conclude if juvenile offenders were charged as adults it would be a case of one getting intlo more trouble and without a second chance, but therefore stopping multiple people from getting into the same situation he was in. Therefore juvenile ofenders hould be trialed as adults.
Vote Placed by CJKAllstar 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Grammar and sources to Pro. Pro has sources to prove his stance and did in more detail explain his view. Arguments were stronger.