naman1609
prunesquallor

Juveniles Should Be Tried Like Adults For The Crimes They Commit

prunesquallor

naman1609

Pro

Yes I think children should be treated the same as adults if the commit a crime because when a a country's constitution allots the rights to all its citizens then laws should also apply to the citizens of all ages. So If A 5 year old creates a crime then he/she should be treated in a court just like an adult so that those values can be incorporated into the child and he/she does not commit the crime again
prunesquallor

Con

I will not be debataing on the said subject just about now, rather, I will give a loose understanding that I have gathered from what my opponent is attempting to suggest. My opponent wants juveniles to be legally treated in the manner of adults- although, he only assers this statement with respect to crime, I will take the liberty of extending it to all legal matters such as contracts, agreements, bank accounts, what have you. Why? Well, it is only rational that since they have to bear the brunt of law enforcement for committing a crime, they should also be allowed to enjoy the privilidges of adulthood.

Essentially, my opponent wants to lower the bar of legal adulthood from 18, to perhaps, 5. Now, how he decided that this age is the correct one is unfathomable to me, however I am willing to play along. In such a hypothetical world, we will have 5 year old children demanding employment, right to marriage, coitus and what not. I hope the absurdity of such a situation is apparent and therefore, I will digress.

I wait for my opponent to at least make a sensible argument. Thank you.
naman1609

Pro

I Just want to clear with my opponent that 5 year old was an example and i meant to say was that when a child reaches 13 he/she party/drink alcohol,etc so they think they are the masters of their minds and that is why they do not listen to their parents and come under peer pressure and to cope up with that peer pressure they commit crimes such as forgery now that is grievous and I strongly think they should me punished for the grievous crimes they commit
prunesquallor

Con

My opponent claims that his "strong belief" should be enough of a motivation to upheave legislations based upon the judgement of countless individuals.

His rationale?

Because 13 year old children "think" they are adults, their status should automatically be raised to adulthood, perhaps "to teach them a lesson". This, I believe, is the moral justification that my opponent has taken pains to come up with.

naman1609

Pro

I request my opponent not to make acquisitions on my beliefs I do have a belief that when a teen commits a crime he/she might be doing it willingly or under peer pressure so it also leads to case of bullying and i also want to say that the child/teen should be given a punishment less than that of an adult but should be tried in court so the he/she understands the meaning of a crime and incorporate better idias into him/her self

Thank You
prunesquallor

Con

As you might have noticed, my opponent started with "TREAT 5 YEAR OLD CHILDREN AS ADULTS!", then he mellowed down to "NO, DON'T PUNISH 5 YEAR OLD CHILDREN, DO IT TO 13 YEAR OLD TEENAGERS INSTEAD!" and consequently "I HAVE A BETTER IDEA! DON'T TREAT TEENAGERS AS ADULTS, BUT DO SEND THEM TO COURT AND SHOW THEM AROUND!".

Since my opponent refuses to stick with a particular idea, I can only interpret this situation as his attempt at humor.

Posted by naman1609 3 years ago
naman1609
TO prunesquallor,

Dear sir/madam I think dogs and cats are an exception as they aren't counted as citizens of a country. I totally agree that there should be a threshold in the law for children under the age of 4 as they do not know what they are doing. But after the age of 5 if a child thinks he/she is big enough to think on his/her own issues then he/she can be tried for the same crime but i also say that the should be tried as adults for grievous crimes
Posted by prunesquallor 3 years ago
prunesquallor
What about a 5 month old infant that has no idea what is going on? What about cats and dogs? There is a reason why we need at least a threshold (even if arbitrary) as a demarcation.
Vote Placed by joshizinfamous 3 years ago
joshizinfamous
naman1609prunesquallorTied
Reasons for voting decision: Easy Vote. I think it was a joke too. Con could work on organization. Other than that......
Vote Placed by Cobo 3 years ago
Cobo
naman1609prunesquallorTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro failed to establish a clear argument.