lnhsjayhawk
birdlandmemories

KU is better at college sports than MU

birdlandmemories
Started: 1/27/2014 Category: Sports

lnhsjayhawk

Pro

KU vs. MU has been going on for a while, but 2012 ended it with a KU basketball win. I think KU is the superior school regarding college sports. Pro is for KU, con is for MU. I wish good luck to my opponent.
birdlandmemories

Con

I accept. By MU, do you mean the University of Missouri?
lnhsjayhawk

Pro

Yes, I have nothing against University of Miami, I at least they're decent at football unlike Mizzou fans claim to be. If you want to debate for Missouri, tell me and I can add on more rounds to make up for his one.
birdlandmemories

Con

Missouri is coming off a 12-2 football season, including a trip to the SEC Title Game [1]. Kansas is coming off a 3-9 football season [2]. Therefore, Missouri is better at football. Also, Missouri is higher in the Capital One Cup standings [3].

[1] http://espn.go.com...
[2] http://espn.go.com...
[3] http://www.capitalonecup.com...
lnhsjayhawk

Pro

You are correct in saying that MU is better at football currently, and is higher in the Capital One Cup standings at this time. However, we are talking all-time here, therefore I will explain KU and it's rivalry with MU. First let's start with the championships. MU has 2 all-time championships in all sports, with the most recent being in 1965. Therefore, KU has more championships in Basketball (5) than MU has in all other sports combined. I believe that our sometimes bad performance in other sports is more than made up for by basketball, as this stat proves. We also claim the inventor of one of the most popular sports in the U.S. This would be with James Naismith and Basketball, of course. If you look at MU, however, they cannot lay claim to the invention of a sport. Now back to the championships. KU has 13 overall national championships, with most recent being in 2013, in Women's Outdoor Track. Quite a bit more recent than 1965. Now, let's move on to the fans. One of the things that makes up a good college team is their fan base. KU's best fan base is in College Basketball, and that leads me to saying that Allen Fieldhouse has been rated as the top College Basketball Arena/Venue by Andy Katz of ESPN. We have been sold out in every single home game since around the 2002-2003 season. This makes all other teams in our conference pale in comparison to us. Mizzou's most loyal College Basketball fan base is the Antlers, a student group. They have recently been kicked out of MU's arena 2 consecutive times, and have known to do terrible things in the past - Voters, look them up. Arguably, MU's best fan base is in College Football. However, they pale in comparison to the rest of their league. Let's just say that they are in the SEC, and are competing with their fans. To wrap this up in order to save time, I give my final points. KU rightfully claims Basketball superiority, as their all time record vs. MU is 172-95, KU leading. However, MU claims Football superiority. They have been dominant as of late, but if you look at history, they are fairly equal. The all time record is with MU leading, 56-54. Not so dominant. For these reasons and many more, I respectfully ask for a Pro ballot in today's debate.
birdlandmemories

Con

Thank you, con for your arguments. I will now refute them.

"You are correct in saying that MU is better at football currently, and is higher in the Capital One Cup standings at this time."

My opponent agrees. Also, Missouri has a better all-time football record than Kansas with Missouri having a 652-531-53 all time record [4] and kansas having a 578-589-58 record. Missouri also has 6 more conference titles than Kansas.

"MU has 2 all-time championships in all sports, with the most recent being in 1965."

My opponent is wrong. Missouri has one more championship than Kansas in baseball, which means Missouri is better at baseball and football than Kansas, while Kansas is only better at basketball.

"We also claim the inventor of one of the most popular sports in the U.S. This would be with James Naismith and Basketball, of course. If you look at MU, however, they cannot lay claim to the invention of a sport."

Again, you have already proven you are better at basketball. My opponent has no shown that they are better at any other sport.

"However, MU claims Football superiority. They have been dominant as of late, but if you look at history, they are fairly equal. The all time record is with MU leading, 56-54. Not so dominant."

Since Missouri does lead the head to head record, they are able to state that they are superior at football. Missouri also has a better all time football win percentage than Kansas.

I have proven that Missouri is better at baseball and football, my opponent has only proved that Kansas is better at basketball. Missouri is better than Kansas at 2 sports, Kansas is better than Missouri at only 1.

Thank you pro for this debate and good luck in future ones.

Vote con.

[4] http://en.wikipedia.org...
[5] http://en.wikipedia.org...
Posted by birdlandmemories 3 years ago
birdlandmemories
@yanks4eva: can you explain your rfd a bit more? I want this to be a fair debate for me but also my opponent.
Vote Placed by Krazzy_Player 3 years ago
Krazzy_Player
lnhsjayhawkbirdlandmemoriesTied
Reasons for voting decision: Sources provided only by Con.
Vote Placed by Jay-D 3 years ago
Jay-D
lnhsjayhawkbirdlandmemoriesTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con was the only one who actually used any sources. Arguments were too shallow to call, conduct and S&G looked even too.
Vote Placed by Yanks4eva 3 years ago
Yanks4eva
lnhsjayhawkbirdlandmemoriesTied
Reasons for voting decision: The arguments were fairly equal but the sources were only used by con
Vote Placed by TeaPartyAtheist 3 years ago
TeaPartyAtheist
lnhsjayhawkbirdlandmemoriesTied
Reasons for voting decision: Good debate. Arguments were equal, as Con did show slight superiority in 2 sports, but Pro demonstrated KU's basketball tradition. Con used sources and was easier to read, but could have said that the discussion was NOT about all-time, as Pro should have mentioned that in the first round.