Karma exists not as a physical reality, but as a psycho-spiritual reality for all self-aware beings.

I will be arguing for the existence of Karma. Karma is defined here as the psycho-spiritual principle that the conscious intentions of any self aware individual are the only causes of mental anguish and personal fulfillment.

The BOP is on me to prove the existence of this psycho-spiritual principle. If my opponent can prove that mental anguish or personal fulfillment can be directly caused by something other than conscious intention, then he wins.

I do not support the just-world hypothesis.

Round 1 will be acceptance and any courtesies either wishes to administer.
Round 2 will Pro's opening argument and con's rebuttals
Round 3 will be rebuttals and whatever new arguments either side wishes to add
Round 4 will be a conclusion, each side summing up their arguments for their position. No new arguments may be given.

Whoever might disagree with me, I look forward to debating you. Let the best argument win!

Fulfillment can be described as a sense of satisfaction arising from the completion of a goal or developing one"s abilities or character. In order to create a goal, one must consciously have a desire or intention. In order to achieve a goal, conscious effort is required. In order to develop one"s abilities, one must consciously work at whichever ability they are trying to improve.
The character, or set of mental and moral qualities of an individual, can only be determined by examining his or her habitual intentional actions.
In order to develop character, one must change their habits by exercising critical self-awareness and self control.
Therefore, fulfillment can only be brought about through conscious intention.

When someone is in a state of anguish, they are distressed by their condition. The condition they are in is unsatisfactory, and in order for someone"s anguish to be alleviated their condition must be changed. Therefore we can call anguish a type of desire. When someone is anguishing over something, it means that they are taking in a reality that they wish were not true. If there is no tension between the reality that someone is taking in and the reality that he or she wants, there can be no anguish. Therefore, desire, which is a type of conscious intention, is required for mental anguish.

I will further argue that one"s degree of general personal fulfillment is determined by their attitude towards life and towards others. Living a principled life and setting standards and goals for oneself is key to personal fulfillment. Not compromising on your principles for the sake of conformity or personal gain will make one feel like a more self-determining, free individual, which will increase his or her self-efficacy and result in him or her being more determined to overcome challenges and achieve goals. To overcome a challenge, to achieve a goal is to demonstrate to oneself that when hard work and perseverance, determination and devotion are put in, change is possible. Personal fulfillment is the fruition of individuality. It is the sense that "I" stand for something, and that "I" will not be swayed by externalities. It is using your originally empty and unfulfilled existence to create a full, free, self-determining, self actualized person. When one is actualized as a person, existence is meaningful, because the self is not just consciousness that will disappear, it is a life that has been lived to the fullest.
Every moment of conscious existence is potential. What a self-actualized person has actualized is really this potential: in every moment of his or her existence, he or she stands for (means) whatever accomplishments or developments and whatever meaningful personal connections they have made. A self actualized person is not jealous of others" success but happy about it: others, too, have attained their inner purpose.
Also, for the self-actualized there need be no hatred or anger towards others: they"re doing what they do, they stand for what they stand for, and I am doing what I do, and what I stand for is all that I can control. By standing firmly for something and by being eager to make personal connections, we can live life to the fullest, eliminating the existential anguish that ruminates "I am nothing, I am going to die, I am not worthwhile, etc." and feel fulfilled in our lives no matter what good or bad attempts to come in from the outside.

you stated "Therefore we can call anguish a type of desire. When someone is anguishing over something, it means that they are taking in a reality that they wish were not true. If there is no tension between the reality that someone is taking in and the reality that he or she wants, there can be no anguish. Therefore, desire, which is a type of conscious intention, is required for mental anguish."
um thanks for the meaning but has nothing to do with the topic..............

Not only your statements is off topic there is no proof or evidence no source no anything....
i would like a better explanation please...........

In the Buddhist tradition, Karma is a different concept than what we believe it to be in the West, and I'm trying to explain that. Karma is Sanskrit for Action, so when a Buddhist tells you that your situation is your own Karma, he means that it is your own action. We create our situations in our minds: objectively, there is only BEING independent of any situation. Like a cached web page, most of the information about our situations is not based off of raw sense data, but what we are used to interpreting our situations as being. For example, every time you enter a hotel room, are you quickly accustomed to it, or do you go around examining and toying with everything to get to know the new room? Most adults tend towards the former. This is because we already have the concept of "hotel room" in our minds, so the brain doesn't need to integrate nearly as much information about where we are in order to realize that it is a hotel room. Our concepts, including our self-concepts and our worldviews, are all inductively derived. Since you cannot become aware of the true nature or "essence" of a phenomenon through induction, all of our "knowledge" is conventional and relative rather than objective and absolute.

All situations, including those in which we are excited or angry, content or frustrated, fulfilled or anguished, are created by the mind.

If we cultivate attachment and hatred, we are more statistically likely to be in a distressed state. If we cultivate self-efficacy and a positive and compassionate attitude towards life and everyone else in it, we are statistically more likely to be in a state of fulfillment. I will demonstrate these individually.

Addiction is a great example of attachment cultivated in the past causing suffering in the future. Say that I do heroin. The more heroin I do, the more accustomed I become to the high state, and the less accustomed I become to sobriety. The more accustomed I am to being high, the more I crave it. In my endeavor to notice my high, I progressively do more and more heroin, and the more and more alien sobriety becomes to me. When I have come down all the way, it's like I've had my warm, cozy blanket torn off me and I've been thrown out in the cold. I'm now in a situation where I will have to face suffering no matter what because of my past actions: but the more I delay the suffering of withdrawal by continuing heroin, the deeper I entrench myself into it.

Say you take the attitude that everyone else is bad. You are more likely to treat them badly, so they are more likely to take the attitude that you are bad and treat you badly, so you are more likely to continue believing that they are bad and so you continue to treat them badly. You have started with a seed of distaste for others and sewn it in your actions towards them. They helped to nourish it: together, you grew a hatred plant.

Let's review. The more regularly you consciously desire something and fulfill that desire, that desire will remain, but the fulfillment will not. Also, your attitude towards others is likely to affect their attitudes towards you.

If you go into life attempting to contribute something new to the world and to connect with others, your fulfillment will be based on the value of the principles that you stand for and the value of the connections you have made with others. If you stick to your principles, you will be self determined. If you approach others compassionately, you will gain from their happiness and you will be motivated by their suffering. All this leads to a deeper feeling of connection between the individual and the world in which he exists. The individual will feel like a real thing within the world, something inseparable from existence that is dependent on what is and one of the determinants of what will be. This, I define as self-actualization. It's opposite, isolation, is experienced by refusing to empathize and connect with others and by not standing for any principle, and will ultimately result in meaninglessness and a deep sense of unsatisfactoriness.

IceClimbers forfeited this round.

According to the philosophy that you're failing miserably to argue against, you should really at least TRY in this debate that you have accepted. You have nothing to lose.

Please don't forfeit the next round. At least ask me some questions.

IceClimbers forfeited this round.
Posted by Strycora 2 years ago
Let me know in the comments section if YOU think you have an argument against this.
Vote Placed by phantom 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Double forfeit.