JoseASuarezLopez
the_streetsurfer

Keep Creationism Out of Public Schools

JoseASuarezLopez

Pro

Creationism and Evolution had being in a dispute for a long time, since Charles Darwin published the Theory of Evolution back in 1859. Church and Science had been in a disagreement on our origin. The separation of state and law prohibited any religious teaching in public school. Religious leaders argue that school should teach Creationism because we can't prove is wrong; however, Creationism should not be teach because makes many science branches invalid, we need to improve our education levels, and simply because is wrong.

Admittedly, religion is an important part of many people, a vital part that should not be taken away. Creationism can not be disprove nor prove, so it should be teach as one possible explanation of our origins. However, Creationism is against many confirmed branches of science such as astronomy, biology, paleontology just to name few; making the education unhealthy for our kids. Not teaching Evolution is lying about our history, our origins; also closing the minds of our kids, making them not interested in science the most important subject.

In addition, our education system needs to improve if we want to keep competing with the rising economies in the world. The United States is in the 17th place in education levels, at this rate the U.S. will not be able to maintain a superpower rank in the future. Developing nations such as China, Russia and India will take our place in economy and sciences in the upcoming years. If we don't do nothing today, expect to see our nation, the nation we're so proud to be part of, degraded from a world power to become irrelevant on international affairs.

Finally, There's not enough evidence to prove anything about Creationism. Creationism has zero evidence besides the Bible, a book written thousands of years ago and translated from many different languages. Evolution has a lot more evidence ranging from fossils to the slow change of species, including us. Using Evolution as an explanation is a better explanation overall, because there is plenty of evidence to support it and is a better idea to be teach than Creationism.

In conclusion, Creationism needs to stay away from our schools. Creationism does not belong to the education system anywhere on this planet. Science is based on observation and experiments not about what we think might be true. Science had come a long way; it explains every mystery in a reasonable way. Creationism is simply wrong and not okay to be teach in school.
the_streetsurfer

Con

Hello!
This will be my first debate on this site, so here goes...

I will begin by responding to your thoughts and then I will offer my opinion of this subject.

Point 1: We should keep creationism out of public schools because creationism goes against science.

You mentioned that creationism is against astronomy, biology and paleontology. This is not true. A person that believes in creation (lIke me) believes in creation instead of evolution. You see, evolution is just one scientific theory. Just because I don't think evolution is real doesn't mean that I disagree with biology and astronomy. For example, I am guessing that you don't believe in the bible. However, you might believe in some if the things that the bible talks about, I.E. Love your neighbor, etc... Just because you agree or disagree with a part of something doesn't mean that you agree or disagree with the entire thing. So, just because creation contradicts one scientific theory does not mean that it contradicts all of science.

Point 2: We should keep creation out of public schools because it hinders our educational system.

This point is similar to the last point. I agree that our educational system isn't up to par. However, this isn't creation's fault. Here is a link: http://blog.aarp.org.... This is a chart that shows our educational decline since 1970. The U.S. used to rank much higher than it does right now. These statistics actually help my side of the argument, if any. Way back when, creation was taught in our schools and the U.S. ranked high on the education charts. Now, creationism has been replaced by evolution and look at what has happened... I know this fact has little to do with the decline of U.S. education but I brought this up to prove your point wrong.

Point 3: We should keep creationism out of public schools because there's no proof.

We both stand agreed on this point. There simply isn't any "solid proof" for creationism. But, there is no "solid proof" for evolution. Each theory has evidence but there isn't any solid proof that evolution is in fact 100% real. No one was around when the earth came about so we will most likely never know the right theory. That being said, I could use this sentence as an argument for my side by swapping evolutionism for creationism: We should keep Evolutionism out of public schools because there is no proof. Now, either way, neither of those arguments are valid so they should just be ignored.

(Side note: Let's not make the rest of this debate about Creationism vs. Evolutionism. Nobody was there so nobody has solid proof.)

I have addressed my opponents points and refuted the main arguments. Now for my case. The issue here is that there's no easy way to approach this. If creationism is banned from public schools than that is unfair for christians. However, if evolution is banned than that would be unfair for non - christians. My opinion would be to stop teaching about the origin of life at public school. Again, nobody has solid proof for either of these theories so the schools shouldn't decide which one is right or wrong. That is the decision of the students. I would suggest that schools ask the students about which theory they agree with and then provide those students with reading material regarding the subjects. That way the students can learn about what they believe in and not be forced to study something they disagree with.

Thank you and I look forward to your response!
JoseASuarezLopez

Pro

JoseASuarezLopez forfeited this round.
the_streetsurfer

Con

I've never had someone forfeit on me...

Anyway, I will just treat it as dropped arguments. My case still stands and my opponent has not responded to my arguments against his case. Those reasons give me the upper hand in this debate.

Thanks!
JoseASuarezLopez

Pro

JoseASuarezLopez forfeited this round.
the_streetsurfer

Con

Hello!

Since my opponent has failed to respond to any of the arguments I have made, I think that I have upheld my burden of proof and upheld the resolution. I'm not sure why he forfeited all his rounds but I know that he dropped all of my arguments.

Thanks!
Posted by rickkoretoff 3 years ago
rickkoretoff
As an educator who teaches social studies, I believe both creationism and evolution should both be presented within the science classroom to be taught about just as religion is taught about in social studies. By teaching about religion I am not proselytizing or advocating, but only informing my students of its existence. I think the same can be said for creationism and evolution: both should be introduced and taught about but neither specifically declared to be fact within the classroom. It should be left to the students to decide which theory they find viable and allow creative discussion and debate to ensue. If only one view is allowed to be taught, then there is an improper balance in the education as students will only see one perspective. Being introduced to multiple perspectives will only help students open their minds to various possibilities and allow them to make their own conclusion in the matter. Thoughts or comments?
Posted by Stalin_Mario 3 years ago
Stalin_Mario
Evolution should be taught in science class, while creationism should be taught in history(as a part of the religion unit) or in English(as a part of a religion unit). Creationism should never be taught as fact, while Evolution should be taught as a scientific theory.
Posted by incredebater 3 years ago
incredebater
It should not be taught, but it should be taught about, as history.
Posted by Jifpop09 3 years ago
Jifpop09
Keep evolutionism out of public schools. Anyways, under US law, schools are not allowed to talk about creationism or evolutionism. This is in every state.