trevortrunck
handywandy

Kevin Durant is a better basketball player than Lebron James

Started: 4/8/2013 Category: Sports

trevortrunck

Pro

Kevin Durant is a way better total basketball player than Lebron. His stats shows you that and what he does with his team is way more impressive then what lebron can do with his stacked team
handywandy

Con

I am not here to put down Kevin Durant in any way, shape, or form. However, compared to Lebron James as a "total package" basketball player, Durant doesn't compare.

It is often argued that Durant is a better scorer than Lebron, and Kevin does in fact have some stats to back that up (his 3 consecutive scoring titles). And even though Lebron has only won a single NBA scoring title, he has averaged more points per game throughout his career with 27.6 PPG, compared to Durant's 26.6 PPG. And while this isn't a staggering discrepancy, points per game is one of the only stats that people usually give Durant the advantage on.

Moving on to another stat which is close in comparison, but still goes to Lebron, rebounds. The 6'8" Lebron averages 7.5 rebounds per game compared to the 6'10" Durant's total of 6.8. While again this isn't a huge difference, when given Durant's height advantage you'd like to see more boards.

While both of these players are without a doubt outstanding athletes, Lebron is a better total player than Kevin Durant. And no stat more clearly illustrates my argument than assists. Durant's 3.1 assists per game dont even come close to Lebron's shocking 6.9 assists per game!!!! All this proves is that even though lebron might not be the leagues leading scorer every year, he gets the rest of his team shots. Many times he is able to do this with his big body by driving to the basket and attracting double teams.

From points per game, to rebounds, and to assists, Lebron is superior in every category. There is absolutely no question as to who is the better "total" basketball player is
trevortrunck

Pro

Kevin Durant Is a WAYYYY better scorer than lebron james. That shouldn't be up for discussion. Yes I will agree Lebron is a slightly better rebounder, but it is to a point in which it does not matter at all. Now to the assists, Lebron has a distinct advantage when it comes to this category due to the fact that majority of the possessions that the heat get the ball will always go through Lebrons hand so he has the opportunity to pass or shoot. Kevin on the other hand has a player on his team named Russell Westbrook who in fact takes the most shots on the team. So more than half of the possessions Kevin does not get a chance to get an assist because hes not put in that situation. So when ever he does get the ball he is going to try to score, which he succeeds in.
handywandy

Con

My opponent's argument is false in several different aspects. His points make sense but he doesn't have any proof in the form of stats to go with his claims.

His first mistake: He claims Kevin Durant is a "WAYYYY" better scorer than Lebron James, while at the same time Lebron averages more points per game (27.6) than Kevin's 26.6. And this is not due to Kevin taking less shots, Durant averages 23.3 FG attempts per game while Lebron only shoots 24.1.. Saying Durant is a better scorer is fine by me but please introduce some stats to support you next time..

His second mistake: My opponent claims that Kevin Durant "has a player on his team named Russell Westbrook who in fact takes the most shots on the team". Once again, the statement is fine to say but you have no evidence to support your claim. Not only that, but the claim itself is entirely false.. Russell Westbrook averages 18.5 shots per game while Durant takes 23.3... So clearly Westbrook doesn't take the most shots on the team.

The fact that Lebron not only can score large amounts per game but also set up shots for the rest of his team leaves no doubt that he is a better all around player.

Sources: (remember to add Field Goals to 3PT shots per game when finding total shots per game.)

http://sports.yahoo.com...
http://sports.yahoo.com...
http://sports.yahoo.com...
trevortrunck

Pro

Im beginning to think that this guy im arguing against does not know that much about basketball, he is only using statistics. Im going to be the first one to tell you that stats lie. For example when Kevin Durant passes to one of his wide open teammates they miss more often then when lebron passes to one of his wide open teammates.

To you saying that Russell in fact does not take more shots is true this year, but in the past years it has not been true. Also to your stats saying Lebron averages more and barely shots less, I disagree. Whenever Kevin gets the ball he has a much tougher time scoring because everyone can double team him because he only has one other good player on his team. While Lebron has a bunch of superstars on his team so he only gets guarded by one guy each time.

Also If Kevin was a part of the Heat, the heat would be way better then they are now with lebron james
handywandy

Con

My opponent obviously doesn't know how to debate. In a debate you can't simply make statements without using stats, or else I could throw out any statement and the voters would have no way of knowing whether it was actually legitimate, so that is why I depend on stats in this argument.

Also, my opponent completely contradicts himself in his last two arguments. In his R2 argument, he claimed that Lebron had an advantage in assists because when he got the ball "he has the opportunity to pass or shoot", but when Durant gets the ball he always "is going to try to score" because Russell Westbrook takes more shots. When i proved that statement to be false, my opponent changed his argument to the fact that Durant can pass the ball as much as Lebron (contradicting his earlier statement) but "when Kevin Durant passes to one of his wide open teammates they miss more often" which is a pure opinion that also goes against his earlier argument.

Moving on from my opponent's contradictions to himself, the simple question in this debate is who is the better "complete, all around" basketball player, and there is no question when it comes to this. Lebron is an amazing scorer, like Durant, but what he excels in beyond scoring (rebounding, passing, defense) Kevin cannot even compare.
trevortrunck

Pro

When I talk about a better basketball player, that does not mean who is currently having a better year or stats just on this year. I mean these players careers. Not just this year.

And just to let everyone know this guy im arguing against is full of crap and feeding you lies because in fact Russell Westbrook does take more shots than Kevin Durant. ESPN.com clearly states that Russell averages 18.9 field goal attempts and Kevin averages 17.8 field goal attempts and that is adding 2 point attempts and 3 point attempts together. And if you really think about it, in one whole season Russell Westbrook takes about 100 more field goal attempts than Kevin Durant does. Lebron does not have anybody on his team competing with him on shot attempts.

Also to my opponent stating that Lebron is a better passer is also retarded, yes he may average more assists, but if you were to look up team stats (which is linked below) you will come to find that the Heat have a better shooting average. To add onto that Lebron's carrer turnover average is higher then Kevin's (Will also be linked), so to all of his assists he also turns the ball over. Also to compare there assist average really is not fair because they play two completely different positions. Lebron is a point forward, if you watch there games over 50% of the time he will be carrying the ball up the floor. Where as Kevin does not. So which proves my point on why Lebron has more assist opportunities.

Also how can you say that he is a better rebounder and defender when he only averages .2 rebounds more per game and "there is no stat" to back up defense. Kevin averages more blocks then Lebron and barley any less steals. Which are the only "stats" you can base defense on.

So to all of these "Stats" my opponent is giving me, About 50% of the ones I looked up are actually wrong. So to all of you people thinking this guy im arguing is smart and using good stats to prove his points are wrong. So all in all this person im arguing against is wrong and in fact Kevin is a better total basketball player.
handywandy

Con

handywandy forfeited this round.
Posted by zliner2 3 years ago
zliner2
Cool I just got a free PSN card code at A279;http://psn.freegiftcode.com...
Posted by zliner2 3 years ago
zliner2
Posted by Silence_Boy 4 years ago
Silence_Boy
The key to this argument is "ALL AROUND better basketball player". LeBron James is simply a brute who can throw himself through the defense and put a ball in a hoop thats 2 feet away. Real skill in basketball is about how good they are at shooting! lebron james has a notoriously horrible shot for being a "superstar". lebron james' 3pt% is .337, while kevin Durant's is .372. and lebron's free throw % is .747, while kevin's is .884. kids in highschool have better free throw %'s than lebron. Lebron's assist count is due completely to the fact that he usually runs the ball down.
Posted by ldelaneu 4 years ago
ldelaneu
Lebron James is a better player. First, Kevin Durant can't do what Lebron did in 2012. First, he won the league MVP. Also, he won the finals MVP, got his championship ring and he won another gold medal, even though Durant did too. Lebron can play every position. Lebron also has Dwayne Wade and Chris Bosh on his team. Kevin Durant has Russell Westbrook and last year he had James Harden also a three point shooter. Durant can only play small and power. Although, Durant has a three point shooting advantage. Lebron is in the prime of his career right now, and no one is stopping him.
Posted by trevortrunck 4 years ago
trevortrunck
sorry i forgot to post my sources here they are

Thunder stats - http://espn.go.com...
Heat stats - http://espn.go.com...
Kevin Durant stats - http://espn.go.com...
Lebron James - http://espn.go.com...
Posted by TheVoiceOfReason67 4 years ago
TheVoiceOfReason67
like handydandy says "Im beginning to think that this guy im arguing against does not know that much about basketball, he is only using statistics." Im beginning to think that this guy arguing does not know that much about debating, he seems to be against evidence