ktl07
MUffEbunga

Keynesianism did not solve/end the Great Depression

Started: 9/14/2011 Category: Economics

ktl07

Pro

As a student, I have come across several texts presented to me in classes which give an ostensibly practical solution to nearly all recessions- in this case, the Great Depression. However, under further analysis, I find that this solution holds no actual value and falls when its economic principles are closely scrutinized. Furthermore, I find that government only exacerbated the issue with each act of intervention.

Rules: I only wish that the contender refrain from biased, harmful statements and present all arguments from an objective perspective.

The contender may begin with his/her opening contention or argument.
ktl07

Pro

ktl07 forfeited this round.
MUffEbunga

Con

MUffEbunga forfeited this round.
ktl07

Pro

ktl07 forfeited this round.
MUffEbunga

Con

MUffEbunga forfeited this round.
Posted by DanT 5 years ago
DanT
I would be more incline to believe World War II ended the Great Depression, while the New Deal made the situation worse. The second world war, increased demand on American Products, both domestically and globally, thus increasing the number of jobs available. The Military Enlistment, as well as the Draft both decreased unemployment, and population density. The demand for American goods, and the decrease in the job competition, both was created more so by the Second World War than by the New Deal.
Posted by ktl07 5 years ago
ktl07
Alright thanks for the tips. Actually I meant this actual debate- since Muff put "no no" as a response as has been banned do I win this one by default if I don't respond? Or is it tied? Just wondering how this site works.
Posted by Ore_Ele 5 years ago
Ore_Ele
That depends entirely on your debating skill. Word of advice, define words in your OP. In this case, "keynesianism." If you leave it open, your opponent will define it in a way that best benefits them. While semantics can kill the purpose of a debate, it is still a factor that should be considered.
Posted by ktl07 5 years ago
ktl07
Yeah, I'll PM bluesteel. Will I lose this debate?
Posted by Ore_Ele 5 years ago
Ore_Ele
Muff has been banned again. You may wish to re-start your debate by creating a new one. I suggest actually issuing a challenge to Bluesteel, rather than making an open challenge. Muff/Nono typically likes to come on and ruin all debates that he can before getting banned again.
Posted by wiploc 5 years ago
wiploc
I'd like to see that debate. Why don't you guys challenge each other to a new debate, and report the troll, presumably a reincarnation of repeatedly banned user NoNo, also known as, You've Ben NoNoed, and at least one other name.
Posted by bluesteel 5 years ago
bluesteel
There's a lot of evidence though that monetary policy ended the Great Depression. mr muff managed to take this before I could, unfortunately. It seems he's just trolling.
Posted by RoyLatham 5 years ago
RoyLatham
Good topic. A number of scholarly books have been written in recent years contesting the idea that Keynesian policies ended the Depression. Too bad Obama hasn't read any of them.