severedarms
AirplanesAndBaseball

Kids ages 12 to 17 should be able to choose the legal guardian with whom they live.

severedarms

Pro

-I simply just need help coming up with both affirmative and negative points for my debate class. Help would be much appreciated-
AirplanesAndBaseball

Con

Thanks, I am willing to help here. Good Luck with this in your debate class. Anyway, I believe that the legal guardian of a child under the age of 18 should first and foremost be the child's biological parents. If, however, that is not an option (i.e. the parents have passed away, or the parents have put the child in an orphanage) the decision should be made of someone of a higher power. It is only the best for the child, the child can't say - "Oh, I will live with Aunt X because she lets me eat candy and play Call of Duty." The child must be in the hand of someone that will love them and successfully provide for them. This decision is best left up to an adult or someone of a higher power (i.e. a judge)
severedarms

Pro

Well a point that I have is that at the age of 12-17 a child should be able to determine whether or not they are in a safe environment. I believe that the child should have to speak in front of a court and state the reasons why they want to live with someone else; and if the reason is silly such as letting them eat candy and play COD, then it should be up to the court. But if they have valid reasons such as being abused, then I believe they're old enough to choose.
AirplanesAndBaseball

Con

AirplanesAndBaseball forfeited this round.
severedarms

Pro

severedarms forfeited this round.
AirplanesAndBaseball

Con

severedarms

Pro

severedarms forfeited this round.
AirplanesAndBaseball

Con

severedarms

Pro

severedarms forfeited this round.
AirplanesAndBaseball

Con

Posted by cheyennebodie 2 years ago
cheyennebodie
There is a reason we do not let them vote. They are not mature enough to make those decisions.If it were up to them thye would eat and drink all the wrong things. And would gravitate to the parent that lets them do whaever they want. They have no lived lifes experiences enough to see the pitfalls in the decisions they make. There are people who never reach that level of maturity no matter what there age.