Omjordan
Cooldudebro

Kids on unauthorized social media sites

Omjordan

Omjordan

Pro

I'm doing a personal narrative at school. My topic was that parents SHOULD let their kids have unauthorized social media sites. Meaning that the parents don't look at what their kids are doing. My argument is that I'm for it (assigned by teacher). I'd like to see other people's reasons to help me out. Are you for it? Why?
Cooldudebro

Con

I accept! Good luck! State your case.
Omjordan

Pro

There is such thing as Reporting, blocking and privating your account, if you feel the need to. If someone is being 'bullied' or hurt by another they can report and block that person. Most social media has the option to put their account on private which will keep random people from seeing private information.
Cooldudebro

Con

I will state these facts:

Case 1: hackers

Even if your account is private. Hacker may hack into your account and steal your information.

Case 2:

Why be on a social networking site if you want it private? That is the whole case of social networking!

Case 3:

Many kids do not know how to block or make accounts private.

Case 4:

There are a lot of pedofiles on social networking sites. A lot of kids don't know better, and give them their information. This could lead to families getting robbed or the kids being abducted.

Case 5:

Your parents should monitor it to make sure you are doing what you are supposed to and keep you safe.

These are my opening statements. Thank you!
Omjordan

Pro

Putting your accounts on private is actually smart:

1) you can still connect with your friends and people you know
2) it's keeping unwanted viewers out
3) you get a notification if people want to follow or add you, you can decide for yourself whether or not to let them
4) it doesn't limit what you can do

Passwords:

1) most sites require special characters for a password: 1 number, one uppercase letter, one symbol, etc. this makes it harder for hackers.
2) parents can tell their teens not to use an obvious password, for example, 'password'
3) Social media sites will ask you personal questions that only you know

Teens not knowing how to block/report/flag:

1) if a teen does not know how they can ask their parents
2) most social media will walk you through it after you sign up
3) usually you just click options for the comment or picture, etc., and will will tell you

My other reasons:

Respect:

1) if parents are constantly checking to make sure that their teen is safe and not up to anything all the time, the teen will feel like the parent is invading their privacy.
2) if you're doing this you obviously don't trust your child and don't respect them
3) teens want personal space; they want to feel free and not have their parents yelling all the time

Rebellious teens:

1) most over-protective parents' teens get rebellious
2) they're constantly being watched and being told 'no' so they act out
3) they will do things that you tell them they can't do, etc.
Cooldudebro

Con

Rebuttal 1:

A hacker can easily hack into it. Many children also do not know how to do that.

Rebuttal 2

Many passwords as their names and the numbers 123 after it. Also, hacker can easily breach a websites security.

Rebuttal 3:

They can't ask their parents because the debate is about it being unauthorized. How can they ask their parents if they don't approve? I am a 12 year old and I know the values of free space. But when you have too much or free space that can harm you they need to take away the space.

Rebuttal 4:

Dude, parents need to be a little strict to crush rebellion! This is a statement that anyone can see is incorrect!

I have proved un authorized social networking does more harm than good. Thank you.
Vote Placed by PiercedPanda 10 months ago
PiercedPanda
OmjordanCooldudebroTied
Reasons for voting decision: I believe that pro won this debate. He had more convincing arguments. Con did not rebuttal very well. He was unable to effectively render Pro's arguments invalid