Mirza

Kids should not play neopets it is a bad influence on them

Mirza

Pro

Kid should not play neopets, it can teach them bad habits that they should not be learning.
Mirza

Con

I thank my opponent for instigating this debate.

Unluckily, my opponent provided no definition of "Neopets." I will do that for both of us, then.

Definition of Neopets: a virtual pet community game. See source #1 for more information please.

My opponent holds the view that the virtual pet community game called "Neopets" can teach children bad habits that they should not be learning, and therefore the should not play the game. My opinion differs. I shall present arguments that support my view on this game, which I find being very educative in certain ways for children.

-- Arguments --

o Educational material

If this game was, in fact, some sort of a horror game, then I would not have a moral objection to the statement that my opponent made. However, this game has nothing to do with scary content, rather it has a variety of games that are educative in one way or another.

I must say that I want to ask my opponent to present his case first because it would be more educative with some arguments and refutations. I wish to know whether or not he wants to participate in this debate further.

I will in the next rounds elaborate on educational material.

I look forward to a response from my opponent. I thank him in advance.

-- References --

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org...

Pro

Why is neopets bad for kids?

1. They have a category called "luck and chance" under its games
I do not think kids should be learning the concepts of gambing at such an early age, since this site is for all ages. There are games from poker, to dice, scratchcards, Keno, craps, slot machines, lottery tickets and you can even bet on a poogle at the race track... called "poogle racing". I'm sorry I do not care how educational it is, my child is sooner or later going to connect poogle racing with horse racing, scratchcards with real life scratchcards, lotto tickets with superlotto tickets. Poker, dice, craps, and keno are all games that are gambling games in real life.

2. Neopets promote animal violence. First of all neopets you get to raise an virtual pet on your own, you can feed it, play with it, make it a little home, and even put it in a "battledome"? In neopets kids can even stock up on weapons by using virtual money (neopoints) to throw their virtual pet into a arena for fighting purposes. Dog fighting and cock fighting anyone? It is also teaching the child to stock up on weapons...

Neopets has 2 features that are horrible for any child to learn animal violence/abuse and gambling that should defeat any educational merit it has. "Get your Neopet in fighting condition!"

http://www.neopets.com...
http://www.neopets.com...
Mirza

Con

-- Rebuttals --

1. Luck and chance

I am personally against gambling, but this game does not require you to use any game categories that include gambling. In fact, you have to be at least 13 years old in order to play games of luck and chance.[1] If you are a parent, you can set up an account for your child and have some sort of parental control. This way, you do not have to worry about what your child is playing.[2] If he is under 13, he will not even be able to play games of luck and chance.

2. Animal fight

My opponent claimed that Neopets promotes animal violence. I see no such thing at all. It is true that the virtual pets can be in battles, but there is nothing really "violent" over it. There is no bloodand you hardly get to see some sort of a physical fight. It is unrealistic. Furthermore, as can be seen on this video,[3] there is nothing that can make a child willing to make real animals fight. These animals are to unrealistic and they even have some sort of weapons, like Ice Club. If a real pet can use that one I would sincerely want my opponent to tell me which one it is.

-- Arguments --

As I said earlier, this game has educative material. For instance, people can communicate with each other since it is a massive multiplayer game. This can improve their communication skills, social interest, and basic language skills. This affects people in a very good way. Moreover, there is "stock market."[4][5] This can help children learn about the principles of the market, even mathematics, which is indeed positive. Maybe some of the features of "stock market" is not positive for everyone, the basic principle of it and its similarity to the real market is intriguing.

There are also contests, such as contests about writing a good story to Neopets. This can encourage competitiveness between children which is creative and positive. When children compete they challenge their own minds and set new standards for themselves that make them willing to always follow with the rest, i.e. other competitors. There are also puzzle games, which are good for the brain. They improve mental skills in solving tasks quicker and more efficiently, and can improve the overall quality of problem solving.

I thank my opponent for not forfeiting.

-- References --

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org...
[2] http://www.neopets.com...
[3] YouTube --> /watch?v=sb_GJZAbHBU
[4] http://www.neopets.com...
[5] http://strategywiki.org...

Pro

FYI: Your youtube link don't work

Rebuttal
1 Luck and Chance
Kids create accounts without their parents knowing. Why not lie and say your 13 to get access to all features of the game? Parents are not going to monitor their kids 24/7. I started playing neopets in 3rd grade, I had 4 accounts and I was 18 years old on all those accounts, to gain access to all the games available. Parents generally do not look over everything their kids are doing online, that's why so many prepubescent boys have seen a porn photo or movie before age 18. [1] The link here is to prove that parent intervention is not always there kids do not get monitored on their internet access ability. There is nothing preventing them from lying about their age to play these gambling games at a chance to win more neopoints.

2.Animal Fighting
There is no blood but the description of violence is there. If you write down the pet bites, slashes, or attacks with sword that still instills the image of a violent image in the kids head. If kids can visualize image of animal fighting on the internet and since neopets treats it as just a game, kids will just add the two together instead of neopets lets have our dogs fight. Kids learn to raise money and spend it on weapons and defense weapons instead of feeding their pets because there is multiple channels to acquire free food on the site. ( soup kitchen, free omeletes, free jello, etc) What are all these kids going to spend their neopoints on? definitely not on taking care of their pets by buying them food. Also they are kids they cannot distinguish reality from fiction, they believe a big fat guy with flying reindeer delivers presents to them in a single night... I doubt they have a good sense on a grasp of what is possible.

My opponent points out the communication aspects of this game. I do not know who my child is playing with on these sites. They might not even be kids they could be 40 year old perverts trying to lure little children. This can have a very negative effect. I don't want my child associating with strangers I don't know the potential risk factors are too high considering it is the internet. The Stock Market on the site is not a popular game at all, in fact on neopets most popular games section it includes 4 luck and chance games.( 2 slot machine games, Wheel of Excitement, and coconut shy) Kids play the slot machines, Wheel of fortune, and a rigged carnival game more than they do the stock market. Why? because they are just kids... Kids do not want to play the stock market its not a real game. These educational games can be used but kids with their low attention spans will not play it. Proven by the popularity rate. [2]

Again these contests are not popular, kids are playing more of the luck and chance games than the games that actually have to be thought about.

http://www.sync-blog.com...
http://www.neopets.com...
Mirza

Con

-- Rebuttals --

1. Children sneaking to gamble

I said that parents can create accounts for their children. If they do that, not all children would try to make other accounts, especially if they achieve a lot in their pre-existing accounts that they do not want to give up. Furthermore, if a child is so keen toward gambling or playing games of luck and chance, then the Internet offers much bigger problems. A game like Neopets does not do such a thing. It may have a negative category, but if a child desires gambling then he will not hesitate to find a more useful website for that. Neopets is about much else.

2. Animal Fighting

Letting the imagination of children grow is a very important thing. A parent can easily tell his kids that animals must never fight but that the game is just for fun, and they will understand. When they paint pictures of some sort of a magical fight, there is nothing negative about that. They grow and learn about different things and can perhaps minimize imaginations in a way that they still have them but are able to have more realistic ones that they can apply to their own lives.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge..." - Albert Einstein

3. Communication

My opponent argued that children might talk to perverts who wish to lure them. Dear readers, is it really reasonable? We need to look relatively at things. Surely luck and chance games might not be good; chatting with strangers might not be good; however, Neopets is just one game and site among millions of others. If we compare it to other sites, it is not bad at all. In fact, it can be a very good start for using the Internet. Learning how to deal with different content, not talk to all kind of people, avoid spreading personal information, all of this is good in helping a child with learning how to use the Internet properly.

4. Popularity

As for games of luck and chance being most popular, perhaps it is because children feel ease with them. What is the problem? The Internet is enormous. They can go to Miniclip[1] and find another game if they want. Neopets, however, can teach them how to sort out the different content and stick to what fits with your own rules. Children may not want to play Stock Market, but it remains there. If the parents encourage their children to play this rather than games of luck and chance, then maybe they will start doing so.

-- Closing comment --

So far, my opponent has not offered a strong argument against Neopets. He has yet to prove that the negative sides outweigh the positive ones.

I thank him and look forward to the last debating round in our debate.

-- References --

[1] http://www.miniclip.com...

Pro

My opponent has already conceded that the Luck and Chance category games are bad. "It may have a negative category" He defends this though by implying that if kids really did want to play gambling games they do not have to go to neopets. I got to say this is a really weak point to make... Kids do not own credit cards so they cannot do any actual gambling... trying to find new sites to gamble on would just be a waste of time considering there is already a good gambling site they are used to (neopets). Parents making accounts for their children is a good point, but making an account on neopets is not hard, neither is transferring all your items from one account to the other. If a child wanted to play the extra games not available to them due to age they can simply make a new account, change the birthday, and transfer all their items from their other account into the new one via, trading posts, store sales for money transfer, and gift giving to friends which neopets allows. Luck and Chance have games that are in the most popular section meaning kids are playing those games very frequently at the young age they are in. The fact that neopets even have a negative category should make parents force their kids to not play it.

Animal Fighting...
A parent can tell the power rangers are just a T.V show but it does not stop the kids from reenacting it in school. Kids reenact unreal games all the time its not new. [1] The article shows that a kid accidentally killed his brother trying to reenact a game he played on the PS2. It is a matter of time before the kids will want to make their violent game more real, by pretending knives are "magic swords" or using the actual pets as fighters in a "battledome" Kids can also learn and grow if they make the mistakes of reenacting these violent acts. As parents do they really want to take that chance of their children reenacting the descriptive battle in a neopets battle dome? Instead of continuing to allow these kids to have a chance of exposure to this negative material, parents should just find other ways to entertain their kids like sports, reading, educational television or etc. A child does not need violence to spark his/her imagination, sorry CON.

3. Communication
Just because its not as bad as other sites its okay??? So just because neopets might have a lower abduction rate we should still take the chance and use it? If you tell that to a parent, you really think they will continue to allow their kids to play neopets? We do not know who we are talking to on the internet... anyone can be using those usernames that makes them seem like little kids. Kids can learn not to make mistakes on the internet, but lets not hope that they make the very mistake first before learning not to do it.

4. Con I am going to use your argument except kids DO play the gambling games and YES it is still there, they are more likely to start gambling first then to play the stock market that is what neopet statistics based on popular games have showed. Neopets is widely popular among kids, I have not even heard of miniclip, kids are drawn to the popular sites and sadly neopets is one of them.

Closing comment
Con has already conceded to my point that the luck and chance games are negative. His solution to all my contentions are to not worry about it because kids can go to other sites and play the exact same kinds of games. Well kids can also just stay on these sites and continue to play these kinds of games which still leads to early exposure to gambling... What if neopets was what started the desire to gamble in a kids life in the first place? Animal Violence I have already shown that kids will reenact what they play, watch, or read because they are kids they are naive they do not know what is real or not. (EX. Santa Claus) As for communication just because neopets is not as bad as other adult sites does not mean that it automatically becomes a good site. A school bully who picks on the weak is bad but just because he did not put people through the holocaust like Hitler did, does that mean his actions become good now? No it doesn't

1.http://www.geek.com...
Mirza

Con

My opponent said began by making a long statement about games of luck and chance in Neopets. First of all, I must say that my opponent has argued too subjectively. He speaks of himself not wanting his kids to be influenced by this or that. Where are studies showing that this game influences children in a negative way? Where are they? I see none in this debate. Furthermore, my point is not weak. When I say that children would easily be able to find a site of gambling, I mean that if they are desiring gambling very much, they will easily find other sites and play e.g. Poker. Neopets offers some games of luck and chance but it is no big deal, and I will tell why.

My friend Mohammad[1] said that it can actually be good for children to play games of luck and chance. He explained that when they try them and realize that even without playing for real money, they can still lose a lot, e.g. time, patience, good feelings, maybe friends, etc. They eventually realize that games of luck and chance are bad because they do not get much out of them, except bad things. This clearly indicates that they may actually not want to gamble for real if they play games of luck and chance in their earlier lives. I can also use myself as an example - When I was younger, I used to play some games of luck and chance. I never thought of playing for real money. Moreover, as I sometimes lost only because other people were lucky with chances, I strayed more and more away from these games. Today, I have little interest in most of them, and I despise gambling. Therefore I say that games of luck and chance can indeed "help" children with staying away from real gambling.

o Animal fighting

My opponent has offered no studies proving or indicating that virtual animal fight can lead to children wanting animals to fight for real. Is there a survey showing that children believe that pets should fight? Is there such a thing? Maybe, maybe not. But one thing is clear: My opponent has offered no evidence for that. Moreover, the incident of a child killing his own brother is saddening, but this happened on a PlayStation 2 game that is depicting clear violence.[2] That is with use of gunfire, too. Neopets shows nothing similar to that. It only describes the fight and there is nothing violent at all.

o Communication

The communication part is good. It is one of two lesser evils. The Internet is filled with thousands of chat sites and games with chat. If kids play Neopets, they easily learn how to cope with different people talking to them. If Neopets is bad for chatting, then the whole Internet is.

All in all, my opponent provided no real evidence for his claims, but mostly his own opinion. I see no surveys or studies. I thank him anyway.

-- References --

[1] http://www.debate.org...
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org...
Posted by bossyburrito 4 years ago
bossyburrito
I love Neopets. I just did the Altador plot thingy. Funnily enough, I got here by looking up Neopets.
Posted by Mirza 6 years ago
Mirza
Loserboi,

Wikipedia cites sources and I came with others, too. Just because Wikipedia is one among them all makes it no less valid.

sllewuy,

The video works. You type YouTube.com/ and then watch?v=sb_GJZAbHBU - It works just fine.
Posted by sllewuy 6 years ago
sllewuy
you never fixed the youtube video which was supposed to prove your point
Posted by Loserboi 6 years ago
Loserboi
I don't like wiki... college has done bad things to me
Posted by zGodMode 6 years ago
zGodMode
HERP DERP VIDYA GAMES ARE BAD MKAY
Moron...
Posted by mongoose 6 years ago
mongoose
Gambling fictional money away can be a good thing. My younger brother played a gambling game on Kingdom of Loathing, and managed to get a lot of Meat (the currency) through it, but then he began losing it all. Then he stopped. Imagine that.
Posted by Mirza 6 years ago
Mirza
Loserboi,

How did he have the most reliable references?
Posted by m93samman 6 years ago
m93samman
Mirza correctly points out that Blank's arguments were not in any way warranted; they were simply emotionally-charged opinions backed up by a hate of gambling. Regarding spelling and grammar, both sides had several mistakes. Tie. Mirza did have some references to outside sources that actually pertained to the debate; the pornography argument didn't seem to connect with me. Conduct- tied.
Posted by lovelife 6 years ago
lovelife
Lol first thing I always do is invest in the stock market, I also make trades for all the useless stuff I get, such as dung, rotten shoes, and the omelet. I have my pets eat the jello.

Also I do not do battles, I also don't buy food.
When playing luck and chance games like blackjack I put all but 100np in the bank and use only that. I generally stop when I have 9,000np, 2 days ago it was 25,000np.
Posted by InsertNameHere 6 years ago
InsertNameHere
I had about 500,000np in the bank at one point, but spent it all. Haha.
Vote Placed by sllewuy 6 years ago
sllewuy
BlankMirzaTied
Vote Placed by Xenith967 6 years ago
Xenith967
BlankMirzaTied
Vote Placed by shadow835 6 years ago
shadow835
BlankMirzaTied
Vote Placed by grandma-john 6 years ago
grandma-john
BlankMirzaTied
Vote Placed by BobMarleyIsDead 6 years ago
BobMarleyIsDead
BlankMirzaTied
Vote Placed by austinyb 6 years ago
austinyb
BlankMirzaTied
Vote Placed by WhoDaFoo4 6 years ago
WhoDaFoo4
BlankMirzaTied
Vote Placed by mongoose 6 years ago
mongoose
BlankMirzaTied
Vote Placed by Loserboi 6 years ago
Loserboi
BlankMirzaTied
Vote Placed by lovelife 6 years ago
lovelife
BlankMirzaTied