mariabahena21
Tmurdock

Kids should wear school uniforms

mariabahena21

Pro

This would reduce bullying!
Less money spent on clothes.
it can encourage school spirit.
Tmurdock

Con

Intro: I see the world become so uniform. Everybody has to be the same. I like people who are different.
Eric Cantona

Contention 1: Freedom of expression. We have a right to express ourselves how we choose. We are individuals. We are not the same. We need to express ourselves. The index did a story on March 20th, 2013. It states, "The lack of access to freedom of expression is a problem that particularly affects the already marginalised "" that is, minorities facing discrimination both in developed and developing countries, from LGBT people in African countries, to disabled people in Western Europe. While the scale of their struggles varies greatly, the principle is the same: within the context of their society, these groups face greater barriers to freedom of expression than the majority. If they are unable to communicate their ideas, views, worries and needs effectively, means they are often excluded from meaningful participation in society, and from the opportunity to better their own circumstances. In other words, discrimination is one of the core elements of unequal access to freedom of expression." We need freedom of expression. https://www.indexoncensorship.org...

Contention 2: School uniform policies are bad. They don't have that much power. Plus it targets the wrong people.The gaurdian did a story on June 19th, 2014. It states, "The state sixth-form college I attended had a nonexistent clothing policy " many of us took our A-levels in pyjamas without a teacher batting an eyelid " and a track record in results that rivalled the nearby private schools. At one of those private schools, my teenage boyfriend was being harassed, repeatedly, about his haircut by a cohort of adults. At one point, the headmaster of this prestigious institution was left with his head in his hands by the very idea of a (clever, well behaved) young boy whose naturally curly hair went slightly past his ears. Suspension from school was seriously discussed " even expulsion. He was a straight-A student. It was utterly absurd."
http://www.theguardian.com...

Contention 3: Costs. I could buy a few days worth of regular clothes in exchange for this single school unifom. Here are the prices of school uniforms per gender. Now compare that to your own shopping readers. Think about how absurd this really is. Claims are there of saving money. Really? More like wanting them to spend more. http://www.classroomuniforms.com...

Conclusion: School uniforms are bad in more than one way. I hope this has helped shed some light on the situation. Please vote for me.
mariabahena21

Pro

mariabahena21 forfeited this round.
Tmurdock

Con

Just restating what I have already said. School unifoms are bad. Please vote for me.
mariabahena21

Pro

mariabahena21 forfeited this round.
mariabahena21

Pro

#1- Uniforms provide a lot of time that has been wasted upon choosing the "perfect" outfit.
#2- it provides a positive impact on peer pressure
#3- improves students achievement by 64%
#4- increases self esteem by creating equality
#5- having the freedom to wear own clothing cause gang affilation
Tmurdock

Con

we don't need to be robots and make equality. Equality should come in treatment. It gives students expression. It might be raising grades, but I rather have a human than a robot. It doesn't help peer preassure like it stated in my second point. If gangs are a problem than ban it in school. Are club activities not gangs? It won't stop people outside of school. All please vote neg.
mariabahena21

Pro

mariabahena21 forfeited this round.
Tmurdock

Con

my opponent has given up. Please vote for me!
Posted by ithink-ithink 1 year ago
ithink-ithink
Oh it was also made of wool, which made it really uncomfortable at first, but you got used to it after a while.
Posted by ithink-ithink 1 year ago
ithink-ithink
I loved my uniform. I had a 450 year old traditional uniform (Christs Hospital, UK).

If you'd like to use it in your argument, Pro, our uniform;
(a) was provided by the school - no cost to us, we just had to return it on leaving/replace if damaged in a way that was our own gross negligence
(b) was very suitable for the cold weather, much better than any 'home' clothes I had
- we had a separate summer school uniform like many schools
(c) was kept, by majority choice of the students, even after multiple votes were set up by school administration on whether to keep it or not.
(d) was only required in formal situations (i.e) Class, School Ceremonies, External academic or musical events - so there was plenty of opportunity to wear your own clothes etc.
(e) Was so ridiculously unflattering (seriously, look it up), you never ever had to worry about how stupid/fat you look, because you always look stupid/fat and everyone else does.
Posted by palmertio0 1 year ago
palmertio0
As someone who wore a uniform for 8 years, I can tell you that khakis and polos are not very comfortable.