pageantgrl
sherlockmethod

Kids shows go way over the limit.

pageantgrl

Pro

Kid shows go way over the limit. As though im a huge south park fan I feel it can lead to harm or discomfort of it's viewers. Not only that but child shows are being to be just as bad. for example:

South Park:
cartman always make some stupid comment about kyle being Jewish or some one being black or any minority you can possibly think of.

That's so Raven:
In a early episode talking about black history month Raven was going to apply at her favorite store called "Sassy's" Raven did not get the job because she is black but her white friend got the job even though she was really bad.

South park:
it has sexual themes to it and has crude behavior and humor that comes with it.

Suit life on deck:
A character by the name of London Tipton was telling her room mate Baily Pickett how much she must love to be a only child then Baily said "I'm not a only child i have 4 brothers and 7 sisters." London said "Wow your parents need a hobby"

I mean really does no one notice this?

now with that i hand this challenge to my opponent.
sherlockmethod

Con

I thank my opponent for offering this debate.

My opponent feels that kid shows are stepping over the line. The topic "kid shows" is very broad so I will stick to the examples my opponent provides for us.

South Park:
This show is inappropriate for children. I agree completely, but I do not see how this show is a kid's show. The show is aired late at night on a cable network and the language and humor clearly make this a show for an older audience. My opponent must provide some evidence that this show is meant for children. The fact that Cartman et al are children will not work as many movies featuring children are clearly inappropriate for children (The movie "Kids" is a perfect example). I submit to voters that South Park is not a show for children; therefore, it should not be held to the same content standards as youth based programming. Because this show is not for children, it cannot be used to show how shows for children go over the line.

That's so Raven:
Now this is a show targeted toward youths, I agree. Pro uses an example of an episode addressing racism. I submit to voters that racism and stereotypes are matters children deal with on a daily basis. The show's star is black and she was denied a job because of her race. Why is this bad for children to know? The show is bringing a common situation to light for younger viewers by showing how racism affects them and not just their parents. Some themes are better addressed with children by using examples relevant to them, like a first job. I see no problem here. I grew up in the ‘80's so such matters were addressed in many shows (The Cosby Show, 227, and A Different World). We have been here before. Shows meant for families deal with this subject all the time. Because history of television has shown that addressing racial issues is a common theme, I cannot say, based on Pro's argument, that addressing race puts a youth based show over the line.

Suit Life on Deck.
This is a show for youths, I agree. My niece watches it when we babysit her so I am familiar with Zach and Cody somewhat. The example provided by Pro addresses having multiple children and the off hand comment of "needing to get a hobby". Humor is a good way to address matters with children and unless the stork theory is still taught, most kids watching a show full of teenagers is probably aware that sex is involved with baby making. I see nothing wrong with a joke about finding a hobby outside of sex when talking to teens. I welcome it! I want that joke in every kid's show. This example does not bode well for Pro as sex can equal babies and teens need to think harder about engaging in such acts carelessly. Because sex is a subject that teens must come to terms with today, a show targeted to young teenagers is not out of line by making a joke concerning the act needed to produce multiple children.

Some kid's shows have crossed the line, but I am only addressing the points Pro offered. At this point, the resolution is not confirmed.
pageantgrl

Pro

the reason i have compared south park to children shows is to show it's much of the same thing. My opponent has said that it is not a children show but even though much of the younger generation watches it My daughter goes to school were 5th graders watch that show.

for thats so raven. Disney channel if showed towered little children I'm sure a black family would not be so happy having their 7 year old son/daughter watch something like that which is so directed towered their race. a Disney should not be like that.

suit life on deck.

same thing as above even though a 7 year old child would not get it the do not mention any thing of so called stork it was just a very dry idea of a joke they should have watered it more down such as "the stork must be tired" or "the stork should just have the mail man deliver them in your mail box" just saying "wow your mom needs a hobby" is very crude and should not be addressed that way.
sherlockmethod

Con

I thank Pro for her response,

South Park:
Pro now asserts that South Park is not a kid's show, but kids watch it. So what? This debate is about kid's shows not South Park. Since you agree South Park is not a kid's show, it is outside the scope of this debate.

That's so Raven:
What was so wrong with this particular show? The star was denied a job because of her race but the show did not tell us such actions are appropriate, only that those actions affect people. I am not sure a black family would be upset about the show. Here is the recap for voters:
http://www.tv.com...
The show centered on the courage of the children to stand up for themselves and fight unlawful discrimination. Why would a black family be unhappy about such a story? Why would any family? The story was focusing on black history month and racism in hiring is an important issue. Pro still has not shown how this is over the line.

Suite life on deck:
Pro feels the joke on this show was crude, but I think declaring the show "over the line" is a bit over the top. I do not want to repeat myself as Pro simply reworded her argument from the first round. The "hobby" involved is having children, and a spoiled teen character and only sibling makes a joke about doing something other than having children. Considering young children watch this show I support the statement. Find a hobby other than unprotected sex and baby making. Thank you Disney! Pro has not shown how this is over the line.

I don't have much to go on here. Pro simply restated the argument; I showed in the previous round that such matters have been the subject of much older shows and seem to be on par. Going into our conclusions, Pro has not upheld the resolution.
pageantgrl

Pro

pageantgrl forfeited this round.
sherlockmethod

Con

My opponent forfeited. She repeated the last round and gave little support for her position. I see no need for a long conclusion. The resolution was not upheld. I showed South Park was not a kid's show and the other shows are simply addressing matters relevant to the age group.
Posted by King_da 6 years ago
King_da
south park is totally not a kid's show. it's not even on a kid's show channel.
Posted by sherlockmethod 6 years ago
sherlockmethod
I only vote on forfeits, Pro forfeited all pts Con.
Posted by pageantgrl 6 years ago
pageantgrl
I was not addressing south park to a fully blown kids show..as well the younger generation does watch it.
Posted by Kinesis 6 years ago
Kinesis
It's a show lots of kids watch. :)
Posted by Korashk 6 years ago
Korashk
Since when is South Park a kids show?
Vote Placed by YouImpossibleChild85 6 years ago
YouImpossibleChild85
pageantgrlsherlockmethodTied
Vote Placed by philosphical 6 years ago
philosphical
pageantgrlsherlockmethodTied
Vote Placed by sherlockmethod 6 years ago
sherlockmethod
pageantgrlsherlockmethodTied