Kids today care too much about material possession instead of what they have.

First things first, this is a friendly debate. I don't want this to turn into a nasty argument in which both debaters go home grumpy.
I am a kid myself, and I would be the first one to admit that people my age these days don't care about the right stuff. This is especially hard on parents knowing that their children's would always want more than what they were given. I have befriended many people who were always talking about the next edition of a purse, or phone and sometimes even video games. What these people don't realized is that they have more than enough to survive. I get that it's always nice to have something that you have wished for a long time, but it is not okay to keep asking for more. It is frustrating to see that people of my generation are acting this way. I know from personal encounters that it only takes a few new phones and designer clothing to drive a person to act with arrogance.
I think that we should focus on what we have instead of what we don't have, because it is then that a person begins turn sour. I await for my opponent and hope that we have a nice debate on this topic.

Hey. I'm a kid too, and I'm happy to discuss this issue with you today.

In the way I view it, people in general have become more materialistic than ever because we realize that the societies in which we function throughout value materialistic objects. Society as a whole has become more geared towards accepting and approving of those who possess things that are believed to be manifestations of popularity, wealth, and social status. The stem of the issue is how society as a whole views new objects. Things that you mentioned, such as purses and smartphones, are valued because people talk about it. They view it as something important. And because of this ideology that a majority of people use, society has deteriorated to a point where not only children, but people as a whole depreciate the value of the objects we have.

However, I feel we are geared towards more materialistic things because children have it (as I feel) much tougher in the "old days." Common Core and standardized testing distributed by federal and state governments are what compel teachers to stick to a much more rigorous and standardized methods of teaching. This pressure also extends to students, or at least in the districts I live in. Students frequently compare test grades, homework answers, and academic levels to define themselves in a social class in school. Although I can not say I am a proponent of this, I want to point out that this is how society is evolving. This added pressure in school also creates a desire for nicer things.

I close my opening arguments by basically stating that students want better things because they are under more pressure in school, as well as because society pressures children and people in general to do so. These materialistic objects are viewed as more valuable, and has in turn created children who feel that such luxuries are necessities.

Thank you for accepting my challenge with this debate.

Before I state my opinion for this round, I would like to comment on your argument. I understand that society has evolved and as a result the people in these societies will also evolve. I also understand that there is pressure in many aspect of life that very nearly forces children to think that these materialistic objects to be a necessities, but as I stated in my previous argument, the only problem with this sorts of things will leave kids wanting for more.

The problem with this is that children don't realize that these possessions doesn't equals joy. Each and every one of us know deep inside that that happiness doesn't exist in these object. But when we were born we have been told a different thing. We started chasing for money and buying things that is supposedly able to make us happy, but when in reality they are only illusions. Soon enough these kids become addicted to always having something.

Another point I would like to state is that these material possessions not only change the ways a person act, but also the way a person thinks. When a person is used to having something that they don't need, they will think that those things they have are nothing. And then we would have a poor kid in another country who would kill to have what they have. We have seen this kind of attitude in movies and it's s sad that this kind of thinking exist it real life.

I conclude my argument saying that life is too valuable to waste chasing possessions.

Humans, from the beginning of time, have sought wealth and materialistic manifestations of happiness and symbols of wealth and power. When looking back throughout history, many of the greatest empires in the world were built on the infrastructure of vanity and wealth. They tax people at ridiculous rates to gain more wealth for basic services, such as passage through territories they own.

I understand that you dislike how society is progressing into a place where children and people in general continuously want more and more. However, people are psychologically inclined to want more, whether it is wealth, power, or knowledge. You may have the opinion that this mentality is wrong and negative, but you cannot impose these ideologies on others. How children act is based solely on how parents teach them, and if their parents continuously feed them more and more, there is not much you can do to stop it.

However, I'm a child who lives in the United States currently. I'm trying to convince my parents to get me an iPhone, and I feel like I have legitimate reasoning behind wanting one. It's mobile, it provides information, it has GPS in case I am lost, it's multifunctional, it can take pictures, it has communication tools, and many kids at school use it for things like games and social media. The list goes on.

I was trying to point out that at times, children legitimately deserve something they are asking for.

I would also like to point out that people like the idea of rewards after doing something good. I have one friend whose family gets him a new electronic once he does twenty outstanding things-winning sports competitions, piano competitions, excelling in school, being nominated for academic excellence, etc. People feel entitled to things when they complete tasks-and most times, this reward is expected to be based on money or wealth. For example, the economic system of Capitalism we employ in America and countries like Europe and Canada, is based on the sole ideology that hard work reaps rewards. Isn't that the American Dream? When students work hard, we are psychologically inclined to want a reward for completing tasks. These rewards can be something small, like an ice cream sundae at the local ice cream shop, or it could be something bigger, like a Nintendo DS or an XBox 360.

Despite these opinions I have about the issue, I would like to say that I greatly appreciate everything that I have and I try not to take things for granted. I can sympathize with your mentality that everyone should appreciate what they have, but simply put, life isn't like that. People are prone to take things for granted in a world that is becoming more and more oriented to judge people based on appearances, wealth, and materialistic possessions.

w.toosmart forfeited this round.

radent6547 forfeited this round.
Vote Placed by TheAdamb99 1 year ago
Reasons for voting decision: Very close debate guys. Few tips - state what sources you use to gain extra votes! Well done to both sides!