Killing an animal to eat is wrong!

I am a vegetarian, and I will like to let whom ever takes me on this debate to go first. I will prove my case in the next round!
Than you

I affirm that I am CON against the resolution above.

As I am CON it is my job to refute my opponent's contentions . Since my opponent has not made any contentions as of yet I can't refute anything and therefore have nothing to debate in this round. I would just like to offer a few definitions:

Animal- any such living thing other than a human being. (

Vegetarian- a person who does not eat or does not believe in eating meat, fish, fowl, or, in some cases, any food derived from animals, as eggs or cheese, but subsists on vegetables, fruits, nuts, grain, etc. (

Wrong- not in accordance with what is morally right or good: a wrong deed. (

Morality- conformity to the rules of right conduct; moral or virtuous conduct. (

That will be all this round, if you disagree about any of the definitions let me know so in the next round.

Good luck.

I would really like to thank my opponent for accepting this debate. I wish my opponent the best of luck.

As my opponent states that an animal is any such LIVING thing other then a human being. Living is any thing with a living memory. My aunt and I had had a recent argument about this and she had stated that different animals can remember on different levels. Some seem to have just the basic genetic memories in the DNA provided at birth.

I would like to ask my opponent a question as well as any reader that have and is intrested in thes debate.
question: Could you kill an animal to eat?
The fowlling link is to a video of how people treat amimals that they eat everyday.

Out of the amount of people in the world that eat meat what percent of that is actually killed by the person that is going to eating the amimal. I don't know the actually percent of that ,nevertheless most of the people (humans) in the US usally go to the store to buy the meat that they will be eatting.

These are some of the reasons for me being a Vegetarian.

>The Environment

1. Conservation of Fossil fuel. It takes 78 calories of fossil fuel to produce 1 calorie of beef protein; 35 calories for 1 calorie of pork; 22 calories for 1 of poultry; but just 1 calorie of fossil fuel for 1 calorie of soybeans. By eating plant foods instead of animal foods, I help conserve our non-renewable sources of energy.

2. Water Conservation. It takes 3 to 15 times as much water to produce animal protein as it does plant protein. As a vegetarian I contribute to water conservation.

3. Efficient use of grains. It takes up to 16 pounds of soybeans and grains to produce 1 lb. of beef and 3 to 6 lbs. to produce 1 lb of turkey & egg. By eating grain foods directly, I make the food supply more efficient & that contributes to the environment.

4. Soil conservation. When grains & legumes are used more efficiently, our precious topsoil is automatically made more efficient in its use. We use less agricultural resources to provide for the same number of people.

5. Saving our forests. Tropical forests in Brazil and other tropic regions are destroyed daily, in part, to create more acreage to raise livestock. By not supporting the meat industry, I directly reduce the demand to pillage these irreplaceable treasures of nature. Since the forest land "filters" our air supply and contains botanical sources for new medicines, this destruction is irreversable.

>Personal Health

6. No deficiencies. There is no nutrient necessary for optimal human functioning which cannot be obtained from plant food.

7. High fat plus cholesterol. Animal foods are higher in fat than most plant foods, particularly saturated fats. Plants do not contain cholesterol.

8. "Carb" deficient. Meat is deficient in carbohydrates, particularly the starches which are so essential to proper health.

9. Vitamin deficient. Except for the b-complex, meat is largely deficient in vitamins.

10. Agricultural Chemicals. Being higher on the food chain, animal foods contain far higher concentrations of agricultural chemicals than plant foods, including pesticides, herbicides, etc.

11. Exposure to livestock drugs. There are over 20,000 different drugs, including sterols, antibiotics, growth hormones and other veterinary drugs that are given to livestock animals. These drugs are consumed when animal foods are consumed. The dangers herein, in secondary consumption of antibiotics, are well documented.

12. Pathogenic Microorganisms. There are a host of bacteria and viruses, some quite dangerous, that are common to animals. When I eat meat, I eat the organisms in the meat. Micro-organisms are present in plant foods too, but their number and danger to human health is by no means comparable to that of those in meat.

13. Shelf life differential. Plant foods last longer than animal foods. Try this experiment: Leave out a head of lettuce and a pound of hamburger for 1 day, which will make you sick?

14. Organoleptic Indications of Pathenogens. Plant foods give tell-tale signs of "going bad".

15. Heart Disease. Meat eating increases the risk of heart disease, this country's #1 killer. The correlation is an epidemiological fact.

16. Cancer prevention. Of all the natural cancer prevention substances found: vitamin C, B-17, hydroquionenes, beta carotene, NDGA, - none has been found to be animal derived. Yet most meats, when cooked, produce an array of benzenes and other carcinogenic compounds. Cancer is infinitely easier to prevent than cure. Soybeans contain protease inhibitor, a powerful anticancer compound. You won't find it in useful quantities in animal based food.

17. Disease Inducing. The correlation between meat consumption and a wide range of degenerative diseases is well founded and includes.....

Kidney Stones and Gallstones

Multiple Sclerosis

Gum disease

Acne. Aggravated by animal food.

>Personal Finances

18. Health care costs. Being healthier on a vegetarian diet means spending less on health care.

19. Food costs. Vegetarian foods tend to cost less than meat based items.

20. Love of animals. I love animals as I love myself. I have no desire to kill them or cause them harm.

21. Respect for Sentient Life. I show gratitude to my Creator(s?) by eating as low on the food chain as possible.

22. Small sacrifice The sacrifice I make is nothing compared to the animals, its life.

23. Natural diet. Our hands, teeth, feet, intestinal tract...even our body chemistry is that of an herbivore.

24. I believe in nonviolence. (Slaughter isn't any diffrent.)

25. World Peace. There can never be peace among men while men are declaring war on other highly developed life forms.

26. Clear conscience. I know what I'm doing is right. I feel good inside about my decision to remain "meatless"

27. Example. To live this way is to protect the underlying values of those around me.

28. Easy substitutes. There are vegetable based substitutes for every meat product imaginable.

[Source: The Whole Earth Vegetarian Catalogue]
The ALF FAQ Video
Animal Rights FAQ
The Taste of Depravity
The Abolitionist Project
Animal Rights Resources
When Meat Is Not Murder
Low IQ Link to Eating Meat
Meat Is Murder (The Smiths)
Meat / Rheumatoid Arthritis
The Post-Darwinian Transition
The Slaughter of Animals for Food
Meat and Bowel Cancer Resources
Slaughterhouse: video (mp4: 5.55Mb)
Red meat: the recipe for bowel cancer?
British meat crisis: has BSE spread to sheep?
Vivisection and Animal Experimentation: video
Contaminated American Meat Threatens Male Sperm Count
Reasons To Be Vegetarian (video advocating cruelty-free diet)

Again I would like to thank my opponent for taking me up on this debate and wish him the best of luck.

I would like to thank my opponent for a very thorough response.

I accept your definition of "animal".

< question: Could you kill an animal to eat?>>

Yes I can. I have done it many times as I hunt duck, deer, quail, dove, pheasant, hog, and geese. I also fish quite often, both freshwater and saltwater.

That video, unfortunately, is true and it's terrible. However, not all food is grown in conditions like that, as they follow the rules and regulations for raising livestock. Seen at the following link: (

10. All exhibitors shall furnish necessary feed, grain,
troughs, and water buckets for their animals & arrange
for their care. Bedding will be furnished by the fair.
11. Entries limited to space available.
12. For livestock limits, see individual departments.
13. Exhibitors must keep their animals, barn area and
grooming area clean or premium monies will be

17. Exhibitors found to be using abusive practices and/or
drugs on animals will be banned permanently from the
fair. The fair will notify all fairs in Washington State of
its decision.

5. Fair veterinarians will inspect all classes of livestock
and poultry before they are exhibited to determine that
the livestock and poultry show no clinical indications
of contagious infectious disease and ectoparasites.
6. Fair veterinarians will reject any animal with
infectious or contagious disease or ectoparasites.
Exhibitors should be made aware that ringworm,
warts, pink-eye, strangles, contagious ecthyma,
scabies, lice, mites, ticks, and fleas fall into these

As you can see, what you saw in those videos was not always legal. Which means that we already are trying to stop atrocities such as that. If everyone followed the law, then those animals wouldn't be in those situations. Farmers and ranchers are required to keep their livestock in good health, well fed, and in sanitary conditions so to say that the majority are (as you seem to be inferring) being maltreated is not true.

To save characters I will simply answer my opponent's points on her numbers, not quote them.

>The Environment

1. However, the US also has to import agricultural crops as they do not make enough locally. So it takes about 127 calories of aviation fuel to bring 1 calorie of lettuce from the UK to here, 97 calories of aviation fuel to take 1 calorie of asparagus from Chile, and 66 calories of aviation fuel are consumed for every 1 calorie of carrot from South Africa. ( Also, plants take up carbon dioxide in the air and reduce greenhouse gases. This means that as a vegetarian, you are destroying what is fixing our planet, while if you eat more animals you will be trimming down the root of the greenhouse gases.

2. Give me a non-biased link for this please.

3. Some of these grains, corn, and beans are grown specifically for livestock purposes. If there was no more livestock, a significant portion of farmers who use to sell food to the livestock would have a hole in their pockets. Efficiency is not an issue here, as humans are the number one priority for making food. This means that if the food amount started to get low then (assuming your statistics are true) livestock would become less profitable and crops would start to be grown instead.

4. If everyone was a vegetarian then more land would have to be cleared for crops. Crops aren't as good as holding soil as the previous vegetation of grasses, shrubs, and trees. The crops will also suck up the nutrients faster and over a couple years the productivity of the land would severely decrease. The farmers would then move on to the next land leaving a bare and desolate area behind. You can see proof of this in Africa with desertification and with the destruction of rain forests in South America.

5. The two major causes of losing the rainforests are poor farmers and corporations. Poor farmers need it to feed their families, but the corporations only for their own greed. These corporations constitute of both ranchers and farmers, depending on what part of the rainforest is being taken. Some areas are best for livestock and are used as such, yet others are used for crops. If either livestock or crops were to suddenly disappear, then the land would just be taken up by the other. This means that getting rid of livestock for crops would not decrease rainforest destruction.

>Personal Health

6. I'm not saying we shouldn't eat plants, I believed a balanced diet is required for the upmost efficiency of one's health.

7. The only fat that is actually bad for you is transfat which is made artificially from humans. All other fats are simply stored calories. So to put it simply, the amount of fat you take in doesn't matter, only the amount of calories. The human body needs cholesterol to survive. "Cholesterol, a waxy substance produced by the liver and found in certain foods, is needed to make vitamin D and some hormones, build cell walls, and create bile salts that help you digest fat." Although your body makes enough of cholesterol on its own having a little extra wont' kill you. It's like dessert, it's good in small quantities and okay to eat as long as you keep it under control. In fact, fats are required to live (

8. Once again, the balanced diet is more efficient for fat and protein intake.

9. That doesn't mean we shouldn't eat it. Should we stop eating ice cream? People should be allowed to eat what they think tastes good as long as it doesn't interfere with the morality of society. Besides, meat contains many other essential vitamins "One way or another your body has to have protein, iron, calcium, enzymes, Vitamin B12 and amino acids every day. " Meat is the only substance that has ALL of these substances readily available for easy digestion (

10. True, but many types of pesticides and other chemicals are used on plants to protect them that aren't used on animals.

11. Please post a link so I know what you're specifically talking about. I'm not going to look up your information for you.

12. Most bacteria and viruses are destroyed when cooked. So as long as your not eating your meat raw you should be okay.

13. Meat stays fresh for a long time as long as it's kept cool.

14. As do many diseases in animals. They will start to act sick, have diarrhea, and other symptoms of the specific disease.

15. Link please.

16. This is a gross overstatement by the media to sell their stories. It is much more likely for cancer to be caused by genetics, obesity, and physical inactivity. Plus "In fact, he says, the polyunsaturated fatty acids or PUFAs in vegetable seed oils are the bane of human health — they actually cause cancer, diabetes, obesity, aging, thrombosis, arthritis, and immunodeficiencies. Their only appropriate use, he says, is as ingredients in paints and varnishes." Soy beans are also believed to make carcinogenic substances when cooked. (

17. Only with improper care and illegal activity such as selling meat taken from a sick animal.

>Personal Finances

18. Most vegetarians cook their foods and use vegatable oil to cook it which is extremely unhealthy. They also have a fat deficiency where the only fats they do get are unhealthy poly-unsaturated (vegetable) fats.

19. They cost less because the food is smaller in quantity and calories.

20. I love animals as well, in fact, I hope to become a veterarinarian.

Not enough characters left, I will continue on your list in the next round.

paramore102 forfeited this round.

I will start off where I last ended with:

21. Many religions have their God(s) asking for animal sacrifices.

22. The ecosystem needs to be kept in check. Without hunters things like the Deer outbreak in Oshkosh, Wisconsin will start to happen. Where the deer population is growing out of hand and the deers eat all the tree saplings, slowly killing the forest.

23. Except for our canines, a human history of being hunters and gatherers, and an evolutionary history of eating meat.

24. I also believe in nonviolence, with humans. I consider animals to be on a lower level than us because we have rational thinking and the ability to reason.

25. Not highly developed enough. We aren't declaring war at all, anywhere.

26. Same with me having a balanced diet.

27. ?

28. And they all taste disgusting (jk). But more seriously these vegetable substitutes are often artificially made and bad for the body.

My problem with your argument is that you base all of your information off of a biased magazine source. You are also very unclear about what your arguments are contrasted with your resolution. You make points as to why you think eating meat is bad and vegetables better but provide no evidence as to why killing animals is wrong. I expected this to be a more LD style debate solely based off of a moral standpoint. I have yet to see this from you and even your ethics area isn't compliable with what you want to prove. You wish to prove that ALL shouldn't eat meat because of ethic problems yet only provide individual opinions to back up this contention.

paramore102 forfeited this round.

It's unfortunate that my opponent was not able to debate me in the latter rounds. I would continue with my argument and get more into it but there's really no point.

Vote CON please.
Posted by InsertNameHere 6 years ago
Meat is yummy...well except for pork... Hehe.
Posted by Pandora_Kin 6 years ago
This Argument Has Been Many Times And It Still Has The Same Answer.. No, It's Now Wrong To Kill Animals, It's Just Wrong. If We Didnt Kill Animals And Were All Hippie Tree Huggers, There Wouldn't Be a "Us", Studies Has PROVED That Without Animal Blood Inside Of Us, We Would Eventually Die. Also Even If We Do Stop "Killing" Animals It Doesn't Mean Other Creatures Will To. Lets Say Theres A Dear And You See It And You "Don't" Kill It, It Will Get Eaten By Some thing/one, Eventually, EVEN If That Doesn't Happen It Will Die EVENTUALLY!!
Posted by FemaleGamer 7 years ago
I agree with pro, its just I love ribs so much. I couldn't leave them behind.
Posted by wjmelements 7 years ago
Why does PRO have points?
Posted by Brewmaster 7 years ago
No no, this is a simple misunderstanding. What the instigator meant to say was "Killing an animal to eat is DELICIOUS" which I'm sure we can all agree to.

Exhibit A: Bacon

Case closed.
Posted by TheSkeptic 7 years ago
"Animals aren't living things. They are animals.
Animals do not have free will; therefore, they are not alive."

The definition of being "alive" does not have to include free will. Especially since we don't have free will to start with :)
Posted by wjmelements 7 years ago
Animals aren't living things. They are animals.
Animals do not have free will; therefore, they are not alive.

(Defaulted CON, PRO forfeited 2 rounds....)
Posted by crackofdawn_Jr 7 years ago
"One could argue that animals aren't living things."

Posted by wjmelements 7 years ago
Those were all serious and winning arguments.
Posted by crackofdawn_Jr 7 years ago
Sorry Will, I was trying to be more serious about this debate because this IS a more serious subject for me.
Vote Placed by paramore102 7 years ago
Vote Placed by Epicism 7 years ago
Vote Placed by wjmelements 7 years ago
Vote Placed by crackofdawn_Jr 7 years ago