juantutri
darkkermit

Kissing is just like shaking hands. It has no meaning in itself.

juantutri

Pro

If not for what we generally think (like in our culture), "joining lips" with another person doesn't have a special meaning. It is just like shaking hands.

Definitions:
kiss-joining the lips (not for affection or emotions as it will defeat the purpose of this debate)
darkkermit

Con

I'd like to thank Pro for starting this debate. Pro has two parts to the resolution. The first is that kissing is like shaking hands. The second is that kissing has no meaning in itself.

Definitions:
Meaning - the sense or significance of a word, sentence, symbol, etc.; import; semantic or lexical content
Like - Possessing the characteristics of; resembling closely; similar to.
Shake hands- The grasping of hands by two people, as in greeting or leave-taking.

C1) Shaking hands and kissing are not similar
The two actions are different by definition. The act of kissing involves the joining of the lips while a handshake involves the grasping of hands. Furthermore, the action of handshaking involves a greeting or leave-taking while kissing does not.
C2) Kissing has a meaning
Pro has stated that kissing has a meaning. He just gave the meaning of kissing.
//joining the lips (not for affection or emotions as it will defeat the purpose of this//
juantutri

Pro

I would like to thank Con for accepting this debate.
I found that I did not define my first claims well.
I would like to define "special meaning" as meaning involving emotions such as love.

I would like to give these counter arguments:
1. Shaking hands and kissing (exclusively "joining lips" as I have written it) are similar in these ways:
a. they involve two persons joining/touching body parts that are similar with each other;
b. they contain meaning that are given by society and its traditions and not for the actions themselves. Example, shaking hands does not have anything to do with meeting people. They could have pinched each other's chests, etc. Same with kissing.
2. Yes, kissing has meaning and that is joining of the lips. But it has no special meaning if people won't imply so. You can kiss a snake and still not love it.

I do not say that kissing must not have significance in our society or that it's meaning replaced. I claim that it will not have meaning if we didn'
darkkermit

Con

I reject the definition since there would be nothing to debate. Your definition of "special meaning" means "emotions", while your definition of kissing means "no emotions". if I look up "special" or"meaning" in the dictionary, no definition involves the words "emotions", so I had no way to infer your meaning earlier.
1)Another difference between kissing and handshakes. Hands are washed frequently while lips are not. By joining lips, you make your self susceptible to the diseases herpes,mononucleosis, and hepatitis which can't be rid of by washing. [http://infectiousdiseases.about.com...] Simply kissing a stranger is hazardous to health.
2)So it doesn't involve emotion if people don't involve emotion? That's self-evident in everything,making this debate pointless.
Kissing decreases stress, releases endorphins, and increases oxytocin(positive mood neurotransmitters). This response can't be explained by "society" www.bestkisses.com/kisses-for-heal
juantutri

Pro

juantutri forfeited this round.
darkkermit

Con

Since jiantutri forfeited the round I will just reiterate:

Convincing Argument:
-Jiantutri made no attempt to refute the final meaning of "special meaning" in the last round. Since I rebutted the problem with his definition of "special meaning" , I see no reason to accept his definition.
-I explained why kissing and handshaking are dissimilar. Again jiantutri made no effort to make a rebuttal

Conduct:
Juantutri forfeited, a move of improper conduct

Spelling/Grammar: Juantutri had a run-on sentence "I claim that it will not have meaning if we didn'" I have no idea what Juantutri meant. I'm not sure about any grammar or spelling errors I made, but please feel free to post them in the comments section both to help others vote correctly and help me improve as a debater.

Convincing Sources:
I gave one citation, Juantutri gave no sources.

Vote CON
Posted by Alex 7 years ago
Alex
Does anything have meaning that we don't give to it?
Posted by Loserboi 7 years ago
Loserboi
i think the question is which one is most likely gonna get u a sexual harrassment charge
Posted by MarquisX 7 years ago
MarquisX
i think the question we must ask pro is that would you kiss another man?
Vote Placed by lovelife 7 years ago
lovelife
juantutridarkkermitTied
Vote Placed by I-am-a-panda 7 years ago
I-am-a-panda
juantutridarkkermitTied