maddox101
Coolguy11

Kneeling at the anthem

Coolguy11
Started: 12/4/2017 Category: Sports

maddox101

Pro

Recently football players and other sports people have been kneeling at the anthem. A lot of people think that this is not okay for players to kneel at the anthem. However it is their right as an American citizen. The first amendment is, " Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances. " If you see anywhere it says you are not allowed to protest please make that known but for know I think you have the right to kneel at the anthem. It is just your opinion that you feel they should not kneel at the anthem.
Coolguy11

Con

How's it going. I realize that people have a right to not stand during the anthem, so I am not going to argue about that aspect. However, I do think that having a right to do something does not make it socially acceptable. For example, I can call somebody fat and stupid; I have a right to do so, but that does not mean I should be doing that. In fact, I should not be calling people any names, nobody should. I think kneeling for the flag is disrespectful. Bottom line: should it be legal? Yes. Should it be happening? No.
maddox101

Pro

Thank you for responding. When people kneel at the anthem they are protesting. There is nothing wrong about protesting. In America you have the right to protest. You don't have to agree with it. They could care less about what we think but its their right. They are just taking advantage of their rights. If you don't like people having the freedom of protest then find somewhere else to go or run for president, but in America its their right and you have no control over it.
Coolguy11

Con

Again, I understand they have a right to do so. I"m not trying to take away anybody"s freedom. However, having a right to do something does not mean you should do that thing, or else one can say everybody should be owning guns and writing newspapers. I have a right to be a jerk, doesn't mean I should act like one. I think there are two reasons against kneeling: first, it"s not respectful to the flag; second, I don"t even think it"s effective in its purpose. Obviously the flag represents our country and the people who fought to preserve our freedom; I think they should be honored by saluting it. For the second reason, what is kneeling supposed to accomplish? I don"t think any racist is gonna be watching football and think "these guys aren"t standing, maybe I should change my ways." There are more efficient ways to meet the objective these athletes have. I especially don"t think they should be doing this right before the games. People tune in to watch football, not activism. What do you think?
maddox101

Pro

First of ya'll you have said you could do something because it's your right even though it's not the right thing to do twice. Anyway I understand that you don't think its right but what they do is not up to debate. They don't care about the people at home thinking what their doing is wrong. They are just trying to make a statement which they obviously are. Half of those athletes are probably just doing it for money. If you want to change something why don't you write a letter to some of those people who are kneeling.
Coolguy11

Con

"I understand you don't think it's right..." yes, isn't that what we're debating? "What they do is not up to debate." Then why are we debating this? "Half of those athletes are probably just doing it for money." That is quite possible. I guess I could write a letter but that is beside the point. I understand they are trying to make a statement but the question is: is kneeling an appropriate way to go about this? There are plenty of other ways to make statements including social media campaigns, petitions, etc. that don't involve disrespecting the flag.
Posted by GrantCarr1999 6 months ago
GrantCarr1999
I do not agree that players should be able to knee during the National Anthem. Everyone has freedom of speech, but to what extent? First off, the NFL grants players a platform that gives them popularity; yet, the players want to completely destroy the league that writes their check? Rather, I feel like they are trying to use the NFL to back them, that--yes, there are several problems and unfair justices, especially against African Americans, but how can they come together as a team to not destroy the integrity of the game fans love to watch, but help join forces in standing for what is right, while not sacrificing rituals with no harm.
Posted by AmericanModerate 7 months ago
AmericanModerate
The uneducated brutes who partake in sports can do whatever they so please at the sports centers. Frankly the entire concept is disgusting to me, but they have an ability to show their politics as the constitution dictates.
Vote Placed by BryanMullinsNOCHRISTMAS2 7 months ago
BryanMullinsNOCHRISTMAS2
maddox101Coolguy11Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Argument goes to CON.