cameronl35
BlackVoid

Kobe is a better basketball player than Lebron

Reasons for your voting decision - Required
Started: 9/11/2011 Category: Sports

cameronl35

Pro

Kobe is a better basketball player than Lebron for many reasons. I would like to first define what this better is "of superior quality or excellence: a better coat; a better speech."
http://dictionary.reference.com...
BlackVoid

Con

Thanks to Pro for initiating this good topic. I'm very passionate about this issue and look forward to debating it.

Definitions:

I accept my opponent's definition of Better.

The word "is" indicates that this is about the present time, not 5 or 10 years ago. Though I feel LeBron has been better for the last 5 years, the resolution questions the present time only.

C1: Stats

The best stats we can use come from last year's basketball season. Lebron averaged more points, rebounds, assists, steals, and blocks, and had a better field goal percentage and shot the three better (1,2). In the playoffs he had a better field goal percent, as well as more rebounds, assists, and blocks again.

The John Hollinger efficiency ratings put LeBron as the most efficient player in the league, 4 spots ahead of Kobe (3).

People also love to say how clutch Kobe is. Actually, this is more a product of how many last minute shots he takes rather than how often he makes them. You're bound to make a game-winner every now and then when you're taking them all the time. Kobe only averages 31% shooting in the clutch, over 10% less than his normal average. LeBron has a higher shot % in the same time period (4).

C2: Other things

Kobe is 33 and LeBron is 26. Most fans can agree that a player's athleticism starts to fade in the thirties. This is evident as he takes more jumpshots now than at any point in his career, rather then driving to the basket which would require elusiveness he simply doesn't have anymore. This is also shown by his field goal % and points per game declining in recent years.

C3: Kobe has a bad personality

This doesn't actually relate to being a better basketball player, but I feel like bringing this up.

Kobe had 16 technical fouls last year (5). A technical foul is attributed to poor conduct on the basketball court, such as excessive arguing with refs, verbally abusing other players, or starting fights. Lebron on the other hand only had 7, despite being the person everybody's looking for to do something bad.

Kobe was also fined $100,000 last year for yelling a gay slur at a referree. After receiving another technical foul, Kobe argued with the ref briefly before sitting down on the bench. After slamming his towel on the ground, Kobe yelled "Hey Bennie!" (the ref), and when the ref looked his way, Kobe called him a "F*cking faggot". (6)

Even discounting the personal stuff, the numbers show that at the very least, LeBron is a better basketball player at the present time.

I look forward to my opponent's reply.

1. http://espn.go.com...
2.http://espn.go.com...
3. http://insider.espn.go.com...
4. http://espn.go.com...
5. http://espn.go.com...
6. http://www.huffingtonpost.com...
cameronl35

Pro

My apologies, I didn't give enough details for my intro. I want to argue over the players at the peak's of their careers, for to me that is a more intense and fun debate. Would you like to restart?
BlackVoid

Con

Um...well I actually do think that Kobe was better when in his prime...

You should probably reopen another challenge then. Sorry for the confusion :/
cameronl35

Pro

Oh I apologize so much I just want to say NOBODY VOTE so I don't get a loss. THIS IS NOT A DEBATE THERE WAS A TOPIC CONFUSION. Again I apologize and thanks for your efforts. :(
BlackVoid

Con

I would suggest that people vote on their own discretion. I hope you get a good opponent for the debate you want though.
Posted by cameronl35 5 years ago
cameronl35
Fair enough. Just making sure I don't come across as desperate or dumb. :)
Posted by Maikuru 5 years ago
Maikuru
Haha don't worry cameron. I'm laughing (yes, I'm still laughing) more at BV's reply, which is classic.
Posted by cameronl35 5 years ago
cameronl35
Maikuru, let me remind you this is one of my first debates. I don't see what you are implying but I can assure you I am a lot more competent in this site now and understand how to debate better.
Posted by Maikuru 5 years ago
Maikuru
Pro: Oh I apologize so much I just want to say NOBODY VOTE so I don't get a loss.

Con: I would suggest that people vote on their own discretion.

This exchange made me laugh. Hard.
Posted by BlackVoid 5 years ago
BlackVoid
No worries cam, I was pretty sure you didn't. Some people just randomly vote on old debates.
Posted by Viper-King 5 years ago
Viper-King
Blackvoid, if you are angry, I will change my vote.
Posted by Viper-King 5 years ago
Viper-King
What happened?
Posted by cameronl35 5 years ago
cameronl35
BlackVoid, I never sent Viper to vote on this. It was all his discretion.
Vote Placed by thett3 5 years ago
thett3
cameronl35BlackVoidTied
Reasons for voting decision: Counter.
Vote Placed by Viper-King 5 years ago
Viper-King
cameronl35BlackVoidTied
Reasons for voting decision: This I'm going to vote-bomb because Pro said that he didn't clarify well and to vote against him when he accidentally didn't clarify.
Vote Placed by F-16_Fighting_Falcon 6 years ago
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
cameronl35BlackVoidTied
Reasons for voting decision: Same as below.
Vote Placed by Double_R 6 years ago
Double_R
cameronl35BlackVoidTied
Reasons for voting decision: Clarification of the resolution is the responsibility of the Instigator, and Cons interpretation was very reasonable. In terms of fairness, it may not be fair for Pro to get the loss, but it is no more fair for Con to not get a victory when taking the time to put together a strong argument in response to a challenge due to Pros lack of clarity.