jihee.suh
Geneva

Korean parents should stop giving stress to Korean students about studying

jihee.suh

Pro

I am a korean student who gets extreme stress from studying just because I was born in Korean and I have korean parents. Wherever I go, adults tell me to study hard and they tell me that if I dont study hard then I will not be able to go to a really good college and I will mess up my whole life. This is the actual reality of Korea's some kind of addiction to education. Globally, there are places besides Korea where people think education as a very important thing. I know that education is a very important element of people's lives but Korea's education system is abnormal. And why are adults in Korea so impatient? They panick so much. If education becomes just a period of torture, what student would actually learn something. Studying is not everything in a person's life. Yes, we use what we learned[our developed knowledge about the world] when we become adults and live in this world. But education does not have to be so strongly insisted to students. I went to this academy when I was young. Their was this youn girl who went to the same academy as me. She was in 1st grade then. I heard from her that she goes to the academy in the morning everyday before she goes to school. And she wakes at like 5 every day. Are you serious? Do you think that this is right? A first grader who just started learning goes to a academy before she goes to school and she wakes at like 5 A.M. How is she even going to grow? Isn't it common sense that health and body condition are WAY more important than education? Even in advertisments, Koreas addiction to education shows. Their is this advertisment about soy-milk for babies. The advertisement says that if your kid drinks this soy-milk then they will be the most smartest of babies. And 3 babies come out and do this block-building contest. The baby that drinked the soymilk won the contest. So wrong.
Geneva

Con

I understand how that could be very stressful, but the students will achieve a lot in life. School teaches us to be responsible, hardworking, etc. By setting goals for themselves and achieving them, the students learn not only the subjects they are taught at school but imnportant life lessons that will help them later on in life. I think often the pressure level for high school students, especially (and very often) asian students is very high but it is beneficial for them in many ways. The bottom line is that the parents want the best for their children but often overdo it by pressuring them and giving them too much work. That is understandable but children that have that problem can talk to their parents and reach a solution together. But the hard work they are given is for their own good and should not be reduced.
jihee.suh

Pro

In my opinion i think this is the explanation to why Korea has the highest rate of suisides in the world.There are other reasons such as bad family relationships and bullying problems but i think the main reason is stress and pressure because of studying
Geneva

Con

"The world is for the survival of the fittest."
By encouraging their children to study hard the parents are only preparing them for the real world where the competition is very high. So the suicide rates aren't not be because of the pressure the students are getting from their parents but because of the competition they are forced to face. According to the wikipedia article on suicide rates, "Of the 29,501 suicides in South Korea between 2009 and 2010, the causes were: psychological despair 28.8% (8,489 cases), physical pain 22.6% (6,672), economic difficulties 15.9% (4,690), and family problems 11.4% (3,363)."
If a person has internal issues of psychological despair no matter what external factors surround the person, he will still eventually suicide. The problem is not the stress, studies and students or parents. It's the competition, personal internal psychological challenges the person has, and the way he percieves the work he is given that affects him.
jihee.suh

Pro

jihee.suh forfeited this round.
Geneva

Con

Geneva forfeited this round.
Posted by RyuuKyuzo 4 years ago
RyuuKyuzo
I had unusually lenient parents, but I saw how this sort of culture affected the other students. This is particularly true for Korea; if you don't have some kind of college degree, people don't look at you the same. In most NE Asian countries, students don't just go to school, they go to after-school-school as well. In Japan, these are called "Juku". Sure, things have cooled down in Japan since the introduction of Yutori education, but it's still a high-pressure atmosphere.

I feel for you, jihee. It's not a fun way to spend your youth.
Posted by RationalMadman 4 years ago
RationalMadman
This is about all races and nations... not just Koreans.