MyWordsOfWisdom
squonk

Kurt Cobain was murdered.

Started: 1/22/2016 Category: Music

MyWordsOfWisdom

Pro

Kurt Cobain was said to have committed suicide, but the evidence of the scene tells a different story. He had too much heroine in his system to kill himself. He would have been unconscious almost instantaneously. There was no time for him to pick up the shotgun and pull the trigger. Also, the "suicide note" was not one at all. It was mostly random writing up until the end. Then, the note turned into a cliche suicide note, but the odd part about this new turn was it was in different handwriting that looked messier. There are more incriminating clues that point towards Courtney Love as being guilty in some way or another. When reading the "suicide note" aloud, she changed the words to receive more sympathy. Also, the two were getting a divorce and Kurt was in the process of removing Courtney from his will. If this were to happen, she'd be left with a lot less money. But, since Kurt died, she received everything. That sounds like a pretty good motive to me.
squonk

Con

I will be arguing that Kurt Cobain was not murdered.

It is true that Kurt Cobain died with a high concentration of heroin in his system. However, heroin affects people differently depending on their level of tolerance. For this reason, we cannot be certain that "he would have been unconscious almost instantaneously." Unless you know precisely how tolerant he was, you can't say precisely how he would have been affected by the dose.

As for the suicide note: it definitely looks like a suicide note, right from the beginning. "I haven't felt the excitement of listening to [or] creating music for too many years now," it says. Cobain writes about his anhedonia; how he doesn't enjoy performing anymore: "Sometimes I feel as if I should have a punch-in time clock before I walk out on stage." In conclusion: "I don't have the passion anymore, and so remember, it's better to burn out than to fade away." I don't see how this can be considered "random writing."

At the bottom of the note (following Cobain's signature) it says: "Frances and Courtney, I'll be at your alter. Please keep going Courtney, for Frances. For her life, which will be so much happier without me. I LOVE YOU, I LOVE YOU!" Admittedly, the writing looks different in this part. I postulate that Cobain added this on at the last minute, in what must have been a moment of extreme anxiety, sorrow, and pain. Maybe you'd write a little differently, too, if you were moments away from shooting yourself in the head with a shotgun.

I read the transcript of Cobain's suicide note while listening to Courtney Love read the note aloud. I don't know what you're talking about when you say "she changed the words to receive more sympathy." Furthermore, so what if she did? It would not be evidence that Cobain was murdered by anybody, much less Courtney Love.

Many married couples fight, and many married couples talk about divorce. You don't know what their marriage was like. Both were drug users, and Cobain was bipolar. He might have been "getting a divorce and removing Courtney from his will" several times a week. But look at his last words: "I have a goddess of a wife who sweats ambition and empathy..." In any case, the fact that Courtney Love inherited a bunch of money as a result of Cobain's death does not make it reasonable to conclude that she killed him, or arranged his murder, or that his death was anything other than a suicide.
MyWordsOfWisdom

Pro

MyWordsOfWisdom forfeited this round.
squonk

Con

Pro has provided no compelling reason to believe that Kurt Cobain's death was anything other than suicide; nevermind murder.
MyWordsOfWisdom

Pro

MyWordsOfWisdom forfeited this round.
squonk

Con

That's a wrap.