RationalMadman
divinedebateralpha

L is more intelligent than Light but Light is more efficient at using his intellect

RationalMadman

RationalMadman

Pro

If you have not seen the anime series Death Note, please do not debate.

This is based on the anime, not the manga comic books. I believe that L is more intelligent than Light Yagami but that Light is able to use his intellect to a greater extent than L.

Con has to take ONE of THREE stances, if you can't pick one, don't accept the debate:

a) L is not more intelligent than Light.
b) Light is not more capable of using his intellect as L.
c) Both

I shall state definitions.

More: in greater quantity, amount, measure, degree, or number.[1]

Intelligent: displaying or characterized by quickness of understanding, sound thought, or good judgment.[2]

Efficient: performing or functioning in the best possible manner with the least waste of time and effort.[3]

Intellect: the power or faculty of the mind by which one knows or understands, as distinguished from that by which one feels and that by which one wills; the understanding; the faculty of thinking and acquiring knowledge.[4]

[1] http://dictionary.reference.com......
[2] http://dictionary.reference.com......
[3] http://dictionary.reference.com......
[4] http://dictionary.reference.com......

First round is acceptance and choice of either style A,B or C of debate.
divinedebateralpha

Con

I shall accept this debate, and don't worry I know the anime very well. I shall choose option a) "L" is more intelligent than Light! I look forward to this debate for Death Note is One of my favorite Anime shows
Good Luck my friend.
RationalMadman

Pro

Option a was not that L was more intelligent than Light, it was that L was NOT more intelligent than Light.

I shall now explain why L is more intelligent than Light.

L being more intelligent is apparent in that he has torn down many master criminals in the past. Don't deny this, we both know it's a stated fact in the anime. Not only this but he finds out who they are, how they do it and plans every move... in his head! Not at one point in the anime (unless for recording purposes) does L ever type or put pen to paper regarding his thought process. He only ever writes to record what has happened or has been found, not ever to form plans themselves or to take record of who may or may not be Kira.

I defined intelligence as displaying, or characterized by, quickness of understanding, sound thought or good judgement. IT is blatant that both L and Light has intelligence levels (I won't say IQ since IQ's validity is debatable) are far superior to the average human, that's just how the characters are portrayed from the beginning of the anime. Light is the top of his entire year group in grades and yet is able to also maintain the killing process while maintaining top grades! However, what Light is good at is memory, as is L. Memory and retention of information is only related to perhaps the 'good judgement' since if one can remember everything about an event or person they can judge it 'good' or 'better'. On the other hand, in terms of quick understanding and sound thought L thrashes Light. Quick understanding is displayed where L notices Kira was standing on the train when the FBI Agent Raye Penber dies on video and a mere shadow comes at the last second. To interpret the situation in an instant of viewing the video indicates EXTREME speed of understanding. Additionally, as an orphan L was the smartest in his orphanage, an orphanage where all genius children were taken to be turned into detectives, this is proven by the fact that out of all of them Watari (the former head of the orphanage's selection process chose L to be his accomplice in the world of fighting crime). In fact Watari begins to see L as his superior, shown by how willingly he brings L cakes, ice cream and offer L any assistance at any time, instead of leading L the teacher becomes led by L (teacher being Watari). Light Yagami never seems to surpass any of his superiors in terms of talent at something.
divinedebateralpha

Con

divinedebateralpha forfeited this round.
RationalMadman

Pro

Vote pro.
divinedebateralpha

Con

RationalMadman

Pro

Vote pro.
divinedebateralpha

Con

divinedebateralpha

Con

Posted by RationalMadman 4 years ago
RationalMadman
L was more intelligent than N theorator.
Posted by TheOrator 4 years ago
TheOrator
@ishall
I've heard of those arguments, but I don't like them so I don't take them (otherwise I would be debating this). It's a personal thing, these restrictions aren't actually that restricting, but it's the just the point of the matter. Plus, I've seen a match where this guy tried to make the INSTIGATOR accept very restricting rules without even asking if he could make rules, so I don't know what he'll do next :P

Anywho, I disagree witht he resolution. I think that L was fiercely intelligent, but not as intelligent as Light. However, if this was a question of "is N more intelligent than Light" I don't think there'd be any question.
Posted by SarcasticIndeed 4 years ago
SarcasticIndeed
Those are the only stances you can take, ishall.
Posted by RationalMadman 4 years ago
RationalMadman
dude option c is the choice to not choose a or b.
Posted by ishallannoyyo 4 years ago
ishallannoyyo
Never heard of a debate where Pro FORCES Con to choose between just 3 arguments, doesn't that seem cheap?
Posted by RationalMadman 4 years ago
RationalMadman
Exactly so why not go con.
Posted by SarcasticIndeed 4 years ago
SarcasticIndeed
Seeing as how L has made incredible traps throughout the story, and Light's actions were always carried by arrogance (especially after L dies), I don't see how would Light be better at utilizing his intellect.
Posted by adontimasu 4 years ago
adontimasu
We can't be too sure. :P
Posted by RationalMadman 4 years ago
RationalMadman
TYTY43 shall not accept.
Vote Placed by famer 4 years ago
famer
RationalMadmandivinedebateralphaTied