Viper-King
The_Fool_on_the_hill

LD Topic: When in conflict, personal freedom ought to be valued above economic security.

Viper-King

Viper-King

Pro

LD Debate:

Round 1: Acceptance/Acceptance
Round 2: Affirmative Constructive/Negative Constructive
Round 3: Affirmative Rebuttal #1 & Cross-Ex/Negative Rebuttal #1 & Cross-Ex
Round 4: Affirmative Rebuttal #2/Negative Rebuttal #2
Round 5:Voting Issues & Conclusion.

So this will be a Lincoln-Douglas Debate. Round #1 is just for acceptance of both sides. Round #2 is the structure where you have all you arguments. No new arguments after that. Round #3 is the first rebuttal with cross-ex questions. Cross-ex questions' maximum are 30 and the negative answers them in their 1st rebuttal while the affirmative answers them in his 2nd rebuttal. Round #4 is the 2nd rebuttal. After the 2nd rebuttal, there will be NO arguments after it. There will be no rebuttals after Round 4. Round #5 is why you won and you're concluding statements. Good luck, fellow LDer.
The_Fool_on_the_hill

Con

The Fool: I hope you will be able to remain noble in argumentation. my the right understanding catch the hearts of Voters.

I take these debates ethics seriously, pls respect them. If we are both looking for knowledge as appose to deception then there is no reason not to.

Debate ethics:

-straw men are to be taken seriously.

-No semantic games. Semantics are for clarification only, never for vagueness (the most precise definition is the best)

-a response must assume what most likely was meant by the speaker.

-refutation must quote the claim being refuted.

Viper-King

Pro

Just to tell you that next round is NOT your rebuttal for the sake of it but instead you're negative case (you're cconstructive). Also remember that this is a LD debate. Well, here this goes.

Nelson Mandela once said "Money won't create success, the freedom to make it will." It is because I agree with Nelson Mandela that I stand Resolved: When in conflict, personal freedom ought to be valued above economic security. To show what I mean, I have offered these definitions.

Definitions

Personal freedom-freedom of the person in going and coming, having equality before the courts, security of private property, freedom of personal opinion and its expression, and freedom of felt conscience subject to the rights of others and of the public.
Economic security-the condition of having a stable source of financial income that allows for the on-going maintenance of one's standard of living currently and in the near future.

Value

My value in this debate round is liberty. I will give the definition of liberty for the purpose of this round. My definition of liberty is the right to do whatever the person wants that does not hurt society. Liberty is important and is vital for everyday life. Therefore in this debate round, liberty will be my value.

Criterion

An educated public is an essential ingredient of a truly free society. My criterion for this debate round is education. Education is very important in the case of achieving true liberty. I will define education for the purpose of this round. The definition of education is the imparting, acquiring and the learning of knowledge for the benefit of society through teaching and learning. Therefore, education is my criterion.

Contention One: Personal Freedom Upholds Liberty.

Let's take a look at the example of the USA in 1775. The British thought that they should have received more money because they had protected the colonies from the French so the English king had a series of direct taxes followed by other laws imposed on the people in America without any representation. The people in the USA thought it was unfair because there was no politics involved and the new laws infringed on their rights as Englishmen.

In the course of two years, groups of colonies created the Committees of Correspondence which became shallow governments, rejected the British Parliament and replaced it with the Provincial Congresses. In response to protesting in over the British Parliament's attempts to regain authority, the British sent combat troops, destroyed local governments, and made direct ruling by appointed rulers from the British. The colonies got angry and secretly gathered up their own military and started fighting in 1775. They fought for personal freedom. As a result, they won the war and had what we call liberty today.

The people sacrificed their lives to get liberty for their country and to allow America to be the freest country of all. Therefore my conclusion is that personal freedom upholds liberty.

Contention 2: Education Promotes Liberty.

Education is very important because it promotes liberty. Take a look at Muammar Gaddafi's Libya. The dictator killed many educated critics because of their knowledge about personal freedom. The majority of the people whom he killed were educated people who wanted liberty.
Talk about personal freedom spread throughout Libya and there became a revolution with lots of support from countries who stand for liberty. The rebels won and now even though the new country is better than before, it still has a long way to go but at least they have more freedom than before. Education was a crucial factor in Muammar Gaddafi's downfall and the beginning of liberty in Libya. Therefore education promotes liberty.

Contention 3: Economic Security Harms Liberty.

I will give you the example of China today. China is the 2nd largest economy in the world and is the world's fastest-growing major economy with consistent growth rates around 10% in the past 30 years. It is also the largest exporter and the 2nd largest importer on the planet Earth.

China's industries are booming and are competing fiercely with the USA. China's rapid-growth is long-lived and shows no signs of slowing down. Their booming industries have liberated millions of people from poverty and have spread across its vast population. China is economically secure and its economy is growing bigger and better.
However, China is still a Communist country, and is still far less from her Asian neighbors' liberty. As big as it is, she still has very limited personal freedom. Therefore economic security harms liberty.

Ronald Reagan once said, "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free." Therefore my three points are personal freedom upholds liberty; education upholds liberty; and economic security harms liberty.
The_Fool_on_the_hill

Con

The_Fool_on_the_hill forfeited this round.
Viper-King

Pro

Meh. My opponent basically did the exact same thing as last time. Well, if he's going to debate, he will have both his Constructive and his Rebuttal.
The_Fool_on_the_hill

Con

Viper-King

Pro

What the heck? As LordKnuckle would say "Troll"!!! I guess my sheer awesomeness destroyed him..
The_Fool_on_the_hill

Con

Viper-King

Pro

Vote for me... And just to say how awesome I am...

So yeah.
The_Fool_on_the_hill

Con

Posted by larztheloser 4 years ago
larztheloser
I would do this, but I'm short on time right now. I actually like this topic.
Posted by Zaradi 4 years ago
Zaradi
Resolved: Individuals have a moral obligation to assist those in need
Resolved: It is morally permissible for victims to use lethal force as a deliberate response to repeated domestic violence
Resolved: Targeted Killing is a morally permissible foreign policy tool
Resolved: Access to drinking water ought to be valued as a human right instead of as a commodity

And if you can convince me,

Resolved: Justice requires the recognition of animal rights.
Posted by Viper-King 4 years ago
Viper-King
What topics do you want to do? Also this resolution is TOUGH!!!
Posted by Zaradi 4 years ago
Zaradi
A debate program I wasn't aware existed until a few hours ago.
Probably not. I was assuming that you did topics that I already knew about.
Besides, the resolution is kinda crappy.
Posted by Viper-King 4 years ago
Viper-King
Are you gonna do it or not?
Posted by Viper-King 4 years ago
Viper-King
No. Stoa is a debate program of LD.
Posted by Zaradi 4 years ago
Zaradi
Sorry, never heard of STOA. Had to look it up.
And that would make sense why I've never heard of it...
Do you do NFL topics?
Posted by Viper-King 4 years ago
Viper-King
Very new actually. It's this year's Stoa Edition topic of the year.
Posted by Zaradi 4 years ago
Zaradi
How old is this topic...?
Vote Placed by 16kadams 4 years ago
16kadams
Viper-KingThe_Fool_on_the_hillTied
Reasons for voting decision: its called a forfeit