GriffinGonzales
pheonixduprese

LD debate is better than CX.

pheonixduprese

GriffinGonzales

Pro

I would like to start off this debate with some definitions...
"LD" - Lincoln-Douglas value based debate.
"CX" - Cross Examination debate (also known as team policy debate).
"is" - is
"better" - Of superior quality or excellence.

With the definitions out of the way I'll move on to my contentions.

CONTENTION 1 : LD makes you smarter.
Over the course of a year there are 5 LD topics that a debater must research and learn inside and out. In CX, there is 1. I think that because there are more topics per year, a debater must work to learn more than one subject therefore giving that debater more knowledge overall.

CONTENTION 2 : LD allows for debaters to have more time actually debating.
LD is a two person debate. Which means that each debater gets half the time in the entire debate. CX debaters get one quarter of the total time. If you are going to sacrifice your Saturday to go to a speech and debate tournament, don't you want to spend as much time possible actually debating?
pheonixduprese

Con

Resolution- Lincoln-Douglas (LD) debate is better than Cross Examination (CX) debate.

I will first review my opponents points, then make my own.

First and foremost, you stated that LD makes you smarter. Factually, this is untrue, because LD deals mostly with values, as it places heavy emphasis on logic, ethics, and philosophy. Many things could not be proved right or wrong, therefore you cannot rely on fact. In CX, you're changing government policy, therefore in theory the Constitution should be able to support which ever side has more merit.

Second, time=/= quality of debate. In student congressional debate, each session is 2 hours, and you might be talking for 15 minutes of that if you're lucky. That doesn't necessarily mean that the overall enjoyment of the session is taken away. You still get to hear the other side of the point, the other side of the whole debate. It doesn't take away from the fun.

I'm running out of characters.

Therefore I urge you to vote in negat
GriffinGonzales

Pro

First of all, my opponent stated that learning about values and philosophy do not make you smarter than learning about policy. To refute this I will bring up individuals such as Plato, Sun Tzu, Albert Einstein, Madam Curie, ext. All of these people baised their work on values, philosophy and theory and they are all revered for intelligence and foresight. Whereas I cannot think of a single person who is known as a genius because they biased their work on policy making. Also as I stated before you get 5 times more topics in LD than CX.

Secondly my opponent stated that student congress is enjoyable because it is quality time spent talking. I don't see how this connects to the fact that in LD you get to spend more time actually debating your opponents and therefore learning than in CX.

I also want to bring up that in Urban Dictionary LD debate is defined as "the best frickin kind of debate". Did you hear that? Urban Dictionary says its "the best". Good luck neg.
pheonixduprese

Con

I'm not going to have time to present my own points, am I?

I stated that FACTUALLY LD doesn't make you smarter. It doesn't try to teach you facts, it uses opinions and logic to try to come up with the result. Plato, Sun Tzu and the rest were all great minds because they knew about the tangible things in the world, not just what other people think about them, which is what LD debaters do. And you stated that you get 5 time more topics in LD than CX? Yes, but it gives you less time to prepare, therefore you don't get to know the topic nearly as well as you do in CX. Quality debates are based on the knowledge of the topic by the debaters, no?

You stated in your first argument that each debater gets more time debating than in CX, but that doesn't mean that LD is a more enjoyable debate. Then I brought up student congress, in which you have less time to actually talk but you still have fun from listening to others.

Therefore since I have clearly proved PRO wrong, please vote neg.
GriffinGonzales

Pro

This 1000 word limit really sucks :)

Anyway, my opponent claims that being factually intelligent is better than being logically intelligent. I would refute that saying that yet again, there are so many more people revered for logical intelligence than factual intelligence. My opponent also stated that LD-ers only care about what other people think about them. I'm not sure I understand why that is, so if you could elaborate that would be great.

Secondly, yes it is true that you get to know a topic better in CX, but as you stuck with that same topic over the course of a year, you may become bored with it and eventually it will lead to CX not being as enjoyable as it should be. Whereas in LD the topic cycles every two months. Enough time for you to get to know the topic and debate it at a few tournaments, but it doesn't become boring.

Now my opponent seems to make out LD as a non-quality debate. But my opponent has not given a reason why, elaborate please

www.nflonline.org
pheonixduprese

Con

First,
I was stating that the Great Minds that you stated made observations about the tangible world, and used those observations to do whatever, instead of using someone else's observations, which is what LD debaters do (generally).

Second, wouldn't you be excited to do CX after all that preparation? Thinking, "Oh, yes, I have a great idea for this policy, now let's go do this!" CX gives you more time to make better conclusions that, in the end, result to a better debate. CX topics also tend to be more in-depth, which would facilitate the need to spend more time on research.

In conclusion, I regret that there was a 1000 word limit. It made it so I could not make my own points, unless I failed to refute my opponents. I hope that you can see that over the course of the debate, I have proved that CX debate is just as good as LD, and therefore the Resolution: LD Debate is Better than CX, is negated. Please vote in negation when voting. Thank you to the voters as well as PRO.
Posted by pheonixduprese 7 years ago
pheonixduprese
Good debate, although I must say people are probably very polarized dependent on what type of debate they're in. ;).

Fun debate, we should do it again some time! With more characters.
Posted by pheonixduprese 7 years ago
pheonixduprese
Oops meant more space.
Posted by pheonixduprese 7 years ago
pheonixduprese
Yeah, my first twitter debate, too. It was defininatly a challenge. Whenever I do a debate, I set the max amount of characters that way we have plenty of tips. <-------------- Protip.
Posted by RoyLatham 7 years ago
RoyLatham
I am not very familiar with either debate style, so I relied solely upon what was presented by the debaters. It did not help that this was one of those debates with severe character limitations -- a twitter debate. It was interesting and I would like to have heard more.

I give the edge to Con. The world is driven by facts, so it is better to get used to working in that environment.
Posted by GriffinGonzales 7 years ago
GriffinGonzales
Yeah that is never smart :) As long as you vote for yourself I don't feel so bad about doing it myself. Hey! It looks like we're neck and neck! :)
Posted by pheonixduprese 7 years ago
pheonixduprese
:P Last time I was in an election I voted for the person I was running against... and they won by one vote. X(. So, I no longer vote for the other person.
Posted by GriffinGonzales 7 years ago
GriffinGonzales
That's okay, Ill vote for myself too.
Posted by pheonixduprese 7 years ago
pheonixduprese
I've never debated CX or LD before, so this was a challenging debate for me, thank you! Also, I voted for myself. Sorry.
Posted by GriffinGonzales 7 years ago
GriffinGonzales
Ooops I thought there were four rounds!
Posted by pheonixduprese 7 years ago
pheonixduprese
LD is a one person debate in the NFL.
Vote Placed by savvyboy781 7 years ago
savvyboy781
GriffinGonzalespheonixdupreseTied
Vote Placed by devinni01841 7 years ago
devinni01841
GriffinGonzalespheonixdupreseTied
Vote Placed by RoyLatham 7 years ago
RoyLatham
GriffinGonzalespheonixdupreseTied
Vote Placed by GriffinGonzales 7 years ago
GriffinGonzales
GriffinGonzalespheonixdupreseTied
Vote Placed by pheonixduprese 7 years ago
pheonixduprese
GriffinGonzalespheonixdupreseTied