cada.beck2017
PhilosophicalUmbreon

LGBT Rights - For or Against?

cada.beck2017 has forfeited round #2.

cada.beck2017

Pro

I feel like LGBTQ+ people don't get enough rights just because they're gay/bi/pan/trans/etc. LGBTQ+ rights are human rights too. While I am not LGBTQ+ myself, I have friends that are and now that Trump is president, they are terrified for their lives. No one should have to live in fear like that, and I hate seeing them like that.
PhilosophicalUmbreon

Con

I think we need to set some foundations.

LGBTQ+ = The collective term for reference to people identifying as lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer/question or other(s), it's the people who do not conform to the heterosexual and cisgender majority. [1]

Gender identity = The intuitive sense of how individuals view their gender, irrespective of their biological sex. [1]

Sexual orientation = The pattern of sexual attraction based on gender. [1]

Human right = "Human rights are the basic rights and freedoms that belong to every person in the world, from birth until death." [2] "They apply regardless of where you are from, what you believe or how you choose to live your life."

Rights apply to all people. However such rights do not mean guaranteed outcome. For instance under the U.S. Constitution all American citizens have the unalienable right to own private property. Does that mean all U.S. citizens will own property? Not necessarily, but likely. Just because it is a right does not mean the government is going to give everyone a house and an iPad. All it means is people have the right, undeniably, to be able to own a house and an iPad. This fundamental understanding of rights is crucial for this debate.

Since burden of proof is on my opponent, for they state "I feel like LGBTQ+ people don't get enough rights" (they need to proof as such), I will not provide an argument in this round. I expect my opponent to A) state which rights are not given to LGBT(Q+) people but are to hetero-cis people, B) why LGBTQ+ rights are human rights and C) how Trump is somehow a threat to LGBT(Q+) people.

[1] http://sja.sdes.ucf.edu...
[2] https://www.equalityhumanrights.com...
Posted by PhilosophicalUmbreon 11 months ago
PhilosophicalUmbreon
@mschechtel17

The debate's category is "society" What is your point?
Posted by mschechtel17 11 months ago
mschechtel17
This sounds like a social issue rather than a political one.
Posted by TheUnexaminedLife 11 months ago
TheUnexaminedLife
Specify what country and what rights are deprived...