SkepticsAskHere
headphonegut

LOST was the greatest T.V. series ever

Reasons for your voting decision - Required
Started: 5/21/2011 Category: Arts

SkepticsAskHere

Pro

Round 1: Acceptance
Round 2: Constructive
Round 3: Rebuttals
Round 4: Closing Arguments

My friend showed me the show Lost about a year ago and it has turned out to be the most interesting show I have ever seen! J.J. Abrams is a genious in everything to the exposition of the characters to the surprise twist endings.

Whoever accepts this doesn't have to offer another show that they think is the greatest, they merely have to refute the resolution

4 8 15 16 23 42
4 8 15 16 23 42
4 8 15 16 23 42
4 8 15 16 23 42

I tried to make the rounds 108 minutes but debate.org doesn't have a setting for that.

Just remember that the first round is acceptance, there are only four rounds, and the island is not done with you yet.

So if anyone would like to go on board to Oceanic Flight 815 then accept the debate and let's go!
headphonegut

Con

Thank you for starting this debate

I accept this challenge I might introduce maybe two tv shows that are better than lost such as the practice or Boston legal or Dr. House
SkepticsAskHere

Pro

Thanks for accepting the debate!
Here we go!

First of all I would like to ask my opponent to choose one of those shows that he thinks is the greatest T.V. show so that I can properly analyze his position. He can still bring up other shows when arguing with me but if you would like to offer a counter plan, please limit it to one.

Contention 1: Lost was planned from the beginning. Usually when a show starts they may have a couple of shows or even a season planned out before they begin filming, however, every episode was planned out before the first episode was filmed. J.J. Abrams intended it to have exactly six seasons. This also makes Lost one of the few shows ever to not be cancelled. Now of course the writers added and edited details along the way, but this is an extremely unique. Details that are observed in season 1 come back up again in season 6 and if you catch them most people respond with an "OH SNAP"!

Contention 2: Lost's references to the real world. Lost makes references to modern society through the titles of the episodes (Deus Ex Machine, A Tale of Two Cites, Exodus, Numbers etc.), Books that appear in the series (Bible, Dear God, it's me Margaret, Charles Dickens, A Tale of Two Cities, To Kill a Mockingbird, etc.), refers to major world religions (Islam, Christianity, Buddhism, Hinduism, etc.), nicknames given to the characters (A.K.A. Sawerisms), and even the names of the characters (Rousseau, John Locke, Jeremy Bentham, etc.). These references to society causes viewers to take a personal, and more intimate, interest in the show.

Contention 3: Lost has been nominated and won countless awards.

Below is a list of awards won by the show, the writers, actors, etc.
However there are so many awards that I'll send you the full list of awards in my sources.

In 2005, Lost was nominated for twelve Primetime Emmy Awards and won six, including "Outstanding Directing For A Drama Series" for series co-creator J.J. Abrams and four Emmys for the pilot episode. The show also won "Outstanding Drama Series", which was considered a surprise win because the Emmys had rarely recognized science fiction or fantasy shows in the category. The following year, the series was nominated for nine Emmys. In 2007, Lost was nominated for six Emmys. Terry O'Quinn became the first Lost actor to win an Emmy Award, picking up a trophy for "Outstanding Supporting Actor – Drama Series" for his performance as John Locke in "The Man from Tallahassee". In 2008 the show gained eight Emmy Award nominations, of which six were Creative Arts Emmys, and won the award for Sound Mixing. In 2009, Lost received six nominations and won two. Michael Emerson became the second actor from Lost to win the award for "Best Supporting Actor in a Drama Series". The website DharmaWantsYou.com won a special award for "Outstanding Creative Achievement in Interactive Media - Fiction". In 2010, the final season of Lost received thirteen nominations, including a fourth "Outstanding Drama Series" nomination. The show won another award for Editing for the final episode.

Good luck to my opponent in the next round and I do remind him to try to keep his arguments short.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Souces:
General
headphonegut

Con

Thank you again for starting this debate.

I am going to assert that Dr.House was the greatest TV show. Your criteria for the greatest Tv show is 1. that it should be planned from the beginning, 2. that it should make references to the real world, and 3. how many awards the show has won however I feel that you are asserting that lost is the greatest tv show and still continues to be great which is in direct violation of your resolution.

Definitions
Lost: A tv show made by JJ Abrams
House: A tv show produced by David shore and Brian synger.
Greatest: the superlative term of great meaning above all else, the best which none can compete with or compare to.
Was: past tense from the verb to be indicating that something is in the past but no longer continues to be in the present. Example- house was the greatest Tv show and now Lost is the best tv show.

C1 - The show "house" has an amazing cast such as hugh laurie, omar epps, kal pen, jennifer morrison, jesse spencer, robert sean leonard, lisa edelstein, and many more. In the beginning House was a very well made show it had horactian retorhic and sort of rooting for the guy devoid of feelings who's misanthropic who saves people with his amazing intellect and instincts which makes him take risks with patient lives in order to save them; however now in recent episodes there was a musical which I believe wasn't that funny or humorous and had stopped taken vicodin which took something away from his character I believe that's why they put him back on vicodin but the dammage has already been done.

C2 - "house" has won a myriad of awards and so has the main character which I believe is what made it the greatest.

Thank you I await your response.
SkepticsAskHere

Pro

Thank you for accepting this debate once again!

I feel that you are asserting that lost is the greatest TV show and still continues to be great which is in direct violation of your resolution.

Well to be grammatically correct I inserted the word was in the resolution because the show has reach and completed its final season. This is simply for grammatical purposes. My case however supports the fact that Lost was the greatest TV show ever by showing that it is still the greatest series ever made.

I accept my opponent’s definitions.

C1 - The show "house" has an amazing cast.

My opponent has made the claim that the show has an amazing cast, however I would like to remind my opponent that three of the main supporting actors were replaced in one simple swoop, which began a process of repacking House’s assistants. This would lead us to believe that without the supporting cast, the show prospers. However you cannot have the show without Hugh Lorie.

In the case of Lost, the focus of the episodes revolves around several different characters. Any actor could die, and the show would have still thrived (which happens on the show). The series is not dependent upon one actor.

I would like to see the evidence for this. Lost has won hundreds of awards for the actors, the screenplay, the director, the special effects, best show on TV, etc. However my opponent states that House has won some awards without any real evidence.

Now back to my own case.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a round for rebuttals so I wait for my opponent to attack my case in round 3! Good Luck

headphonegut

Con

"well to be grammatically correct I inserted the word was in the resolution because the show has reached and completed it's final season"

Wrong:
to be grammatically correct the word 'was' has to be changed to is, since you are talking about a completed television series you intended to say that it is the greatest Tv series ever. You didn't want to imply that it had fame and now doesn't anymore but it has fame and will still continue to be better than all other Tv series ever made which is impossible since a majority of people who watched a series and called it the greatest cannot watch Lost and compare it to their Tv series. Furthermore you didn't present evidence that many people watch lost you simply stated why it is great you have not proven that in other countries Lost is the greatest ever. In the resolution you did not specify location so people in Antartica might disagree with you ( I think house had an episode involving the south pole). You have the burden of proof instigator/pro; furthermore my opponent has accepted my definitions.

House Is not the best Tv series everywhere it is very popular but with recent episodes popularity has gone down. Although they did get rid of the supporting actors that isn't a very big deal it was new and exciting. When he had to hire new fellows there was a process which turned into several episodes that were very good (they treated osama you know) so without the cast the show did prosper and when house got new fellows the popularity of the show did not change the same people that watched house still do. And while the show is dependent on the main actor a supporting actor did kill himself. I assume that the person who died was an supporting actor.

"House is an American medical drama that has been airing on FOX since September 22, 2004. It has been nominated for a large number of awards, surpassing 100 total nominations in January 2010. These include: 20 Primetime Emmy Awards (four wins), 9 NAACP Image Awards (two wins), 9 Teen Choice Awards (one win), 8 Golden Globe Awards (two wins), 7 Satellite Awards (five wins), 7 TCA Awards (two wins), 6 Screen Actors Guild Awards (two wins), 4 Humanitas Prizes (one win), 4 People's Choice Awards (three wins), an AFI Award, BAFTA TV Award and a Peabody Award."

I mentioned before about my oppoents criteria to a great-est Tv series ever was 1 that it should be planned from the beginning, 2 that it should make references to the real world, and 3 the number of awards.
This criteria for choosing the greatest is completely arbitrary and doesn't actually emphasize on the content of lost why the show is so popular that it is the greatest ever ( which my opponent is arguing and it's a violation of his resolution) House makes references to the real world in the show as well and I have to say that they aren't really "real worldly" references more like classical references john locke the philosopher who is now dead is not real world so lost fails your criteria. House makes refernces to the real world in via talk and props and who he is (an addict) a reference to the real world. so already House has filled to of YOUR criteria for being greatest ever.

conclusion: My opponent has violated his resolution. I have proven how Lost only fulfills two of my opponents arbitrary criteria and so does House so since it's a tie the win should go to me, because my opponent (in his argument that violated his resolution) had to prove that Lost is greater than house which he has not done.

vote con. good luck!
SkepticsAskHere

Pro

I thank my opponent for this great debate!

You have the burden of proof instigator/pro; furthermore my opponent has accepted my definitions.

My opponent has used an abusive argument by debating the definitions of the resolution rather than debating the actual resolution. If the debate really is about the greatest T.V. shows that are not still on then House should not be an option for my opponent because it is still on the air. If my opponent wants to debate the resolution in such a way then he should lose automatically, because he has chosen a show that’s still on air. However, if he would like to debate the resolution in the correct context in his last round then he may.

House Is not the best T.V. series everywhere it is very popular but with recent episodes popularity has gone down.

The resolution is about the best T.V. show and my opponent has just stated that House is NOT the greatest. He must have started watching Lost on Netflix instant and been blown away by its awesomeness.

Although they did get rid of the supporting actors that isn't a very big deal it was new and exciting.

I actually watched those episodes they were pretty good, however, when unraveling the mystery of Lost your adrenaline starts pumping!

When he had to hire new fellows there was a process which turned into several episodes that were very good (they treated Osama you know)

Umm… Are you implying that the hospital where house works supports terrorism? This is obviously not good for his case.

And while the show is dependent on the main actor a supporting actor.

My opponent agreed that without Hugh Lorie then the show would be nothing.

http://en.wikipedia.org......

My opponent has also gotten all of his information from Wikipedia. This evidence should not be considered valid because Wikipedia can be edited by anyone

House makes references to the real world in via talk and props and who he is (an addict) a reference to the real world. so already House has filled to of YOUR criteria for being greatest ever.

Hey there are addicts on Lost! Charlie from Drive Shaft! He did heroin until he met the cute pregnant chick on the island and then tried to kick the addiction (With the assistance of John Locke). Also, being an addict is not a reference to society.

Conclusion: My opponent has violated his resolution. I have proven how Lost only fulfills two of my opponents arbitrary criteria and so does House so since it's a tie the win should go to me, because my opponent (in his argument that violated his resolution) had to prove that Lost is greater than house which he has not done.

First of all my if my opponent chooses to debate the resolution his way, then he loses because House is still on the air. So my opponent should lose by trying to debate the definitions of the round to manipulate in his favor. Also, my opponent says that are arguments are tied 2-2, but he forgot all about my contention that Lost was planned! There for I am winning (according to my opponent’s logic).

My opponent admits several things about House that show that would show that his show is not the greatest. He has dropped a few arguments in the round and has used Wikipedia as his source for evidence while I presented four different sources. Also, my opponent has twisted the resolution, and if we uphold by his standard of the resolution he should lose.

Also, I would like to remind my opponent and the audience that it would be abuse to bring up any new arguments, attack any new arguments that he dropped, present new evidence, etc. dude to the fact that it will be impossible for me to respond.

I hope I have inspired you guys to watch Lost. You’ll love it.

Vote Pro!

headphonegut

Con

Understanding the resolution is imperative to debate if you do not understand the resolution and adhere to it's definitions then technically it's a discussion however this is a debate you accepted the definitions instead of objecting to them which you could have done. And for clarification I am not debating the definitions I am using the definitons to debate.

"House should not be an option for my oppnent because it is still on the air."
whether it is on the air is irrelavent House is an ongoing Tv series since we did not define or assert that a Tv series had to be finished for it to be greatest then I do not see your point. My opponent has not been able to prove that Lost was the greatest Tv series ever.

"The resolution is about the best T.V. show and my opponent has just stated that House is NOT the greatest. He must have started watching Lost on Netflix instant and been blown away by its awesomeness."

That is correct sir I stopped watching it because it is no longer the greatest.

"Umm… Are you implying that the hospital where house works supports terrorism? This is obviously not good for his case."

I was making a reference to the show obviously you have to have seen it understand what is meant and I don't see why supporting terrorism is a bad thing.

"My opponent has also gotten all of his information from Wikipedia. This evidence should not be considered valid because Wikipedia can be edited by anyone"

You're gonna pull the wikipedia is not a valid source argument? Ok wikipedia cannot be edited by anyone and when it is the page that was edited is checked to see if it has factual information and if you were to read through the page and go all the way down you can see all the sources from where the page's information came from.

for clarification when you say no new arguments then you must also adhere to it which you did not.

I did include that it was planned and said that it didn't make references to the real world but since you say being addicted is not a reference the score goes back 2-2.

conclusion: My opponent has violated his own resolution failing to make it a rule to argue no semantics and failing to post definitions he is then upset because of the definitions I posted which are fair to both sides, when it was his turn he accepted the definitions and did not object to them.

Vote for me yay

thank you taylor for posting this debate,
cordially, HPG

and I included the part where it was planned
Posted by SkepticsAskHere 6 years ago
SkepticsAskHere
Well I'm glad you did
Posted by headphonegut 6 years ago
headphonegut
I would love to take this
Vote Placed by Raisor 5 years ago
Raisor
SkepticsAskHereheadphonegutTied
Reasons for voting decision: Actually Breaking Bad is the greatest TV series ever. But seriously, House is awful.
Vote Placed by KeytarHero 5 years ago
KeytarHero
SkepticsAskHereheadphonegutTied
Reasons for voting decision: Even though I never had a desire to watch Lost and I don't think it was the greatest ever, I am counter vote bombing Jar.
Vote Placed by Cliff.Stamp 5 years ago
Cliff.Stamp
SkepticsAskHereheadphonegutTied
Reasons for voting decision: Lost sucked, but easy decision 2:1 Pro, well formed and consistently argued .
Vote Placed by kohai 5 years ago
kohai
SkepticsAskHereheadphonegutTied
Reasons for voting decision: Same reasons as Next!
Vote Placed by NextLevelSwag 5 years ago
NextLevelSwag
SkepticsAskHereheadphonegutTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forget about the retarded topic, who cares? Skeptic had better arguement