MCMinecraft269
FreedomBeforeEquality

Label GMO Foods

MCMinecraft269

Pro

People have the right to know what they are eating and ought to be informed if their food has GMOs in it, therefore all foods with GMOs ought to be labeled.
FreedomBeforeEquality

Con

Theres no reason to target just them. All foods should have the same labeling then.

I don't agree with potentially harming a product that is superior in sustainability just because it hurts a natural ones sales. Its a hindrance to progress. Its bad enough all foods have to label the amount of nutrition facts on them that they do. Most of the info is useless.

Labeling HMOs is just a political way of one corporation attacking another. I don't think the government should waste time on such things. If natural is better, print that on your product and hope it sells on its own merit. You don't need to drag other peoples dreams of feeding the world down with government help.
MCMinecraft269

Pro

Sure, to the average American stereotype, they ARE useless, but people should at least know if the food they are consuming has GMOs. Also, after the buyer reads the label, it's their choice to buy it or not. If they don't, that's okay. Plus, if they do choose the GMO infested Snicker* bar (in this case), then the company would only lose about $0.99. It's not much of a loss.
FreedomBeforeEquality

Con

There's a lot more money that goes into changing a label every time some fad 'health concern' comes along. They are often responsible for the research into generating those numbers. They have to lose all the old product to become compliant.

For many bars too, their brand is what sells them. I can't picture a bar selling that has to have one of those fold out MDS type sheets like drugs have on them listing every possible material that could ever be in a product ... and all having 0%'s on them. It seems having too many labels would actually deter their use.

I don't read the entire Tylenol label every time I take it. I don't read every ingredient in my bread when I eat it. I don't think many do. This notion of yours seems to cater to a few health nuts.

Also, id put my money in the companies and the fact that they want to sustain sales. If their product caused deaths ... they know what kind of PR nightmare that would be and how much they'd stand to lose. They incorporate GMO's from a safe standpoint. They judge risks like this in literally everything they do. Its engineering and business management 101. And if they make a mistake, and a person has some allergic reaction, they pay for it already one way or another.

All this getting-the-government-involved nonsense is just corporate drama that the government has no business in.
MCMinecraft269

Pro

It would not add that huge fold out list. It would just add a piece of text that would state: "This product was made with Genetically Modified Organisms". That's ALL! The government won't even make that much of a difference. It would probably be the same amount, maybe even less, then if the government didn't get involved.

Great debate. Thank you for your time.
FreedomBeforeEquality

Con

FreedomBeforeEquality forfeited this round.
Posted by MCMinecraft269 2 years ago
MCMinecraft269
To clear things up, anything genetically modified by humans should be labeled
Posted by FreedomBeforeEquality 2 years ago
FreedomBeforeEquality
To your round 3 point ... the fact is, your GMO label isn't the first required labeling and wont be the last. I was just painting the grim picture of the candy bar of the future at the rate we're going. If candy bars even last that long.
Posted by MCMinecraft269 2 years ago
MCMinecraft269
Also, check out my YT channel: https://www.youtube.com...
Posted by MCMinecraft269 2 years ago
MCMinecraft269
Sorry I'm a little discombobulated, this is my first debate ever. That, and I'm only 12.
Posted by canadienmuscle 2 years ago
canadienmuscle
McMinecraft.... I dont think you quite understand what you're talking about. Everything you consume is genetically modified. Every. Single. Thing. You didnt provide any evidence at all as to why you are against GMOs or provode any true knowledge over them at all. They provide higher crop yields to feed more people and prevent the food from rotting so quickly. It is just gene splicing so that the optimal genes are in the right places so the food has the best possible properties and highest nutritional value. To argue against that is insane and ignorant. I suggest you get your facts from credible sources and not some hippy that tells you you'll die if you eat another slice of bread because of GMO's.
Posted by Surrealism 2 years ago
Surrealism
You never specified that in the resolution or in your opening statement.

Of course, if I genetically engineer a plant on a farm outside of a laboratory, it would fall outside of your definition, wouldn't it?
FreedomBeforeEquality
So id invite you to ask the food provider. They really aren't as secretive as you may think.

He used Snickers (Mars) as an example. Go to their site and research all you'd like. They really are quite inviting.

This bull about gov't intervention is what bothers me. You'd think people here were such helpless imbeciles. That the gov't was their 1 stop shop to get everything they want in life. Its unnecessary.
Posted by MCMinecraft269 2 years ago
MCMinecraft269
Surrealism, we are debating about the GMOs produced in labratories, not by evolution.
Posted by qwerty_girl 2 years ago
qwerty_girl
It may be a waste of time but some people are allergic to certain types of foods, I for one would love to be in the know of what I am putting in my body. I want the government to give me a chance to choose my own eating habits. After all, I am the one purchasing the food i am eating, i have the right to know wether they have changed the genes of my food.
Posted by Surrealism 2 years ago
Surrealism
All living organisms have been genetically modified by the evolution that created them, ergo you are suggesting that we label all foods that come from living things.
Vote Placed by Jellyfysh624 2 years ago
Jellyfysh624
MCMinecraft269FreedomBeforeEqualityTied
Reasons for voting decision:
Vote Placed by Stefy 2 years ago
Stefy
MCMinecraft269FreedomBeforeEqualityTied
Reasons for voting decision: The logic in pros arguments was mire sound and he/she countered successfully each argument which con made, and he/she ultimately could not respond to pro.