Railsguardian
ummlolyeah

Lady Gaga has a negative impact on not only the music Industry, but on the music community itself

Railsguardian

Pro

I am issuing this challenge to ummlolyeah. I will let him make the first move in this debate.

Note: These are my personal opinions on both the music, appearance, and the impact of such items, that Lady GaGa has produced and continues to produce. Note that this is my personal opinion and that I mean no insult to the artist known as Lady GaGa. This is just my expression of my opinion on the topics.

I await my opponent's opening statement.
ummlolyeah

Con

Well, since YOU challenged me, would YOU kindly express WHY you think Gaga is such a burden on the music industry and society as a whole?

I am at the moment actually listening to "Paparazzi" which, while has a shallower meaning (a girl chasing a guy till he likes her) Gaga very clearly demonstrated in interviews, the music videos and in a more in depth look at the lyrics that the song had a view on celebrity life and demonstrated her love for Princess Diana, whom is one of her idols. Few artists in the pop industry make such connections to current events and put good meaning in their lyrics.

Gaga also takes a strong role in fighting for gay rights and against the AIDS virus. She spoke out for gay rights at several venues including her speech at the National Equality March. () At the time she had just debuted and for an artist with such a young career, she was very quick to step up for what she believes in. This though, of course does bring her enemies and haters...
Railsguardian

Pro

I thank my opponent for his response.

First off, my opponent is quick to state the good deeds Lady GaGa does for the gay community. Now, if we were talking about Lady GaGa as a person or for her stances on the issues that matter, we'd be having a different conversation entirely. However, we are not arguing on that basis. The debate is solely about the impact of her music and her music alone, the message it delivers and the reactions that it provokes, not the outside factors that help contribute to her image that have nothing to do with her music. I intend to focus on music an lyrics alone.

Second, my opponent admits in his OWN argument that her lyrics are shallow. I would now like to delve deeper into some of those lyrics.

Here are a few highlights from the song 'Just Dance':

"I've had a little bit too much
All of the people start to rush... "

"Can't find my drink or man.
Where are my keys, I lost my phone..."

"I love this record baby, but I can't see straight anymore...
Keep it cool what's the name of this club?
I can't remember but it's alright, alright."

Now, these are only the highlights from the first verse alone. From these, three things can be determined:

1. She's had too much to drink
2. From this intoxication from, assuredly, alcohol, she has lost her date, glass, keys, and phone
3. Is so drunk she can't see straight
4. Doesn't remember where she is, let alone see
5. All of this is okay.

While all of these things mentioned certainly do happen, I do not believe that they have a certainly good message.

For instance, according to http://www.athealth.com...:

"...Similarly, approximately one-half of all sexual assault victims report that they were drinking alcohol at the time of the assault, with estimates ranging from 30 to 79 percent..."

Which, according to Gaga, is okay. But why let me argue this when she can?
For instance, in continuation with the lyrics:

"Just dance. Gunna be okay.
Da-doo-doo-doo
Just dance. Spin that record babe.
Da-doo-doo-doo
Just dance. Gunna be okay.
Duh-duh-duh-duh
Dance. Dance. Dance. Ju-just dance."

See? Everything' s fine! Until ...

"Wish I could shut my playboy mouth.
How'd I turn my shirt inside out? Inside out babe.
Control your poison babe
Roses with thorns they say.
And we're all gettin' hosed tonight.
What's go-ing out on the floor? "

This stanza seems to implicate that Gaga, even though she has a date, is still insisting on getting naked for, well, it seems, almost no reason at all except to, well, get naked...

...as evidenced by the next stanza, where she says...

"When I come through on the dance floor checkin out that catalogue.
Can't believe my eyes so many women without a flaw.
And I ain't gonn' give it up, steady tryna pick it up like the car
I'ma hit it, I'ma hit it and flex until the til done until tomorr' yeah.
Show me I can see that you got so much in the jean
The way you twirling up them hips round and round
There's no reason, I know why you can't leave here with me
In the meantime stand, let me watch you break it down."

See! Even she says that there need be no reason at all! According to the Center for Disease Control, there were 1,210,523 cases of Chlamydia observed in 2008. There were also 336,742 cases of gonorrhea observed in 2008. Most of us know that these diseases are contracted by having sex without protection and, in this case, just for the sake of it.

So, according to Lady Gaga, this action, which causes a more likely chance to contract a disease such as Chlamydia or gonorrhea, is acceptable, and, through her lyrics, is telling the listening community that it is acceptable. This is a woman in the forefront of the news and yes, unbelievably, music industry. A role model. And Lady GaGa says it is okay to take un-necessary chances just for a good time.

Also, she's, according to her lyrics, psychotic:

"I'm psychotic synchypnotic
I got my blue burners and phonic
I'm psychotic synchypnotic
I got my brand electronic"

That, normally. isn't good. I'll delve into that more later after a response. Now, I believe that also isn't a good thing to be saying is 'okay' to young children, not to mention normal people, celebrity or otherwise...

I await my opponents response.
ummlolyeah

Con

Music and Lyrics Alone:
If you're debating Lady Gaga, you can't separate the person from the music because she's the one who created it. Her own personality, views, stances and work all influence her image and so therefore have a very upstanding part in this debate. The fact that she spoke in the Equality March influenced people's views on her and therefore, her image. The same goes for her AIDS campaign.

As of your statement of me "admitting her lyrics are shallow" I said that on a mere listening, it has a shallow meaning, if you look at the lyrics to Paparazzi and especially watch the music video, it has a very in depth meaning. She takes a simple song, and embeds imagery into it to create something more than other artists bother to.

Just Dance lyrics:
If you think that her lyrics are bad, why don't you open your eyes to the rest of pop or dance music? The majority of pop lyrics focus on drugs, money, sex, alcohol and crime so how does this make her any worse than other artists? Shall we take a look at Tik Tok by Ke$ha? This is a song that, along with Just Dance, did very well on the charts and sold extremely well.

Wake up in the morning feeling like P Diddy
Grab my glasses, I'm out the door, I'm gonna hit this city
Before I leave, brush my teeth with a bottle of Jack
'Cause when I leave for the night, I ain't coming back

Simply the first verse has a very similar meaning to Just Dance and I can also site your statistics for my argument. And what about other songs such as:
Rude Boy - Rihanna
Blah Blah Blah - Ke$ha
Take It Off - Ke$ha
Sexy Chick - David Guetta
3 - Britney Spears
If You Seek Amy - Britney Spears
Guilty Pleasure - Cobra Starship
Fergaliscious - Fergie
Sugar - Flo Rida
Low - Flo Rida
Kiss N Tell - Ke$ha
Hungover - Ke$ha
Boots & Boys - Ke$ha
Maneater - Nelly Furtado
She Wolf - Shakira
Kiss Me Thru The Phone - Soulja Boy
Promiscuous - Nelly Furtado
Don't Trust Me - 3OH!3
Starstrukk - 3OH!3
For Your Entertainment - Adam Lambert
4 Minutes - Madonna
1 2 Step - Ciara
Give It Up To Me - Shakira
Good Girls Go Bad - Cobra Starship
I Know You Want Me - Pitbull
Killa - Cherish
Labels Or Love - Fergie
My Humps - Black Eyed Peas
My Prerogative - Britney Spears
Piece Of Me - Britney Spears
Right Round - Flo Rida
SexyBack - Justin Timberlake
Stronger - Kanye West
The Way I Are - Timbaland
Whine Up - Kat Deluna
Womanizer - Britney Spears
Yeah! - Usher

etc. etc. etc.

The majority of pop music IS sex, so you can't single out Gaga for these lyrics without first digging up every single sex-related song that ever existed, writing out its lyrics, explaining why it's wrong and trashing the artist. Besides, sexual lyrics, or lyrics related to drugs, alcohol, crime, etc. have all been accepted into society. People listen to this. People enjoy this. If it's something that you don't want your child to hear, you get a censored version of the song or just don't let them hear it at all. Although, at the age of eight, I can't see that child understanding what "Control your poison babe" is referring to or even means. Regardless, it would provide for a good learning opportunity and a chance for the parent to explain why alcohol is wrong and why you need to have safe sex, why drugs are bad and so on. That is even if the kid understands...

By the way... your lyrics for the song are very incorrect. There are a few mistakes in the first and second verses that you picked a few lines out of. The rap section is riddled with mistakes:

When I come through on the dance floor checkin out that catalogue.
Can't believe my eyes so many women without a flaw
And I ain't gonna give it up, steady trying to pick it up like a call
I'm a hit it up, beat it up, latch on to it until tomorrow yeah
Shorty I can see that you got so much energy
The way you twirlin' up them hips round and round
And there is no reason at all why you can't leave here with me
In the mean time stay let me watch you break it down and
*Chorus*

The last part is completely wrong and it's not a reference to herself, rather, her "blueprint", and so is not giving a message to be "psychotic". It says:

Half psychotic sick hypnotic got my blueprint it's symphonic
Half psychotic sick hypnotic got my blueprint electronic
Railsguardian

Pro

I thank my opponent for his response.

1. My opponent's statement that I cannot separate Lady Gaga from her music is factually incorrect and/or simply misstated. I am not trying to separate her from her music at all. The point of this debate, again, was to illustrate the fact that her lyrics and music are causing a negative impact on not only the music industry, but on the music community itself. I am CONJOINING her and her music, not separating her from it at all. I view her music as the problem in this debate and the source of the argument, not as an ignorant thing that is just to be thrown to the side. When you compare the music Lady GaGa produces to the actions she performs, it is if you are looking at two different people: on the one hand, there is a woman who is out speaking her mind for what she believes in in a good and honest way (her actions). However, when you listen to her music and lyrics, you see a person who seems bent on drinking, engaging in unsafe sexual actions with the first thing that moves (Just Dance), stalking (Paparazzi), lying masochism about her sexuality (Poker face), and masochism (Bad Romance, Telephone). And who hears all of this unsavory behavior? Anyone willing to listen.

2. My opponent mentions the 'imagery' Gaga creates. Now, exactly, what imagery would this be?

Let us examine said video (located at the top right, top video):

From the opening minute, we see a woman who is literally lying prone on the street being photographed by the 'Paparazzi' that she sings about. Then, said woman is put in a wheelchair, and instead of being taken to a place like a hospital, is wheeled into a lobby, and promptly stripped down to her underwear. Constantly, there are images of her lying in what appears to be a stripper-esc outfit on a couch in seductive positions. As these images flash by at a high rate of speed, she continues to tell us how she will stalk someone until they 'love her', though I see and feel no love in these images. Murder scenes are then constantly portrayed as she starts referencing cigarettes. The rest of the video is summed up by Gaga being 'felt up' by others, more seductive positions and weird imagery, more lyrics about stalking, and it culminates in a fake 9-1-1 call with Gaga saying she just killed her boyfriend.

3. The third main point my opponent makes is that since all of this is okay and 'accepted by society' and that 'everyone is doing it', it is not okay for me to focus on Gaga alone.

I thought we were DEBATING about Lady GaGa? The purpose of this debate is not, never was, and never will be to argue about anyone or anything but the impact of LADY GAGA on the music industry. Not Ke$ha. Not Britney Spears. Lady Gaga and Lady Gaga alone. Just because everyone else is doing it doesn't make it right and I intend to continue to show that Gaga's music and antics are both counter-productive, poisonous and, overall, damaging.

Also, thank you for conceding the point that Lady Gaga is on the same level as all of these people that can also be considered damaging influences via their lyrics and songs.

4. My opponent states that an 8 year old is mentally developed enough to understand the song, and that "...Regardless, it would provide for a good learning opportunity and a chance for the parent to explain why alcohol is wrong and why you need to have safe sex, why drugs are bad and so on..."

I'd assume that this child would be getting these teachings from either their parent or someone besides Lady Gaga, correct? Because when you listen to her music, it seems as if all of these things are not just accepted; they are commonplace. I believe that the person who needs to be taught those values are not the theoretical eight year old: the person who needs to learn those potentially life-saving values are Lady GaGa herself, and her music preaches just the opposite.

Now, after everything that has just been said, the problem still remains: what is the message at the heart of the song? What is the message in her lyrics? Where is the notion that everything is NOT okay with this? Well, I can tell you one news network who wasn't too pleased with Ms. Lady Gaga:

Fox (video below 'Paparazzi' vid, top right).

The news report suggests that the video was "Pushing TWISTED SEXUAL FANTASIES on YOUNG CHILDREN". Sound familiar?

There seems to be a recurring trend in Gaga's lyrics: sex, drugs, and good old fashioned violence. The sex part is in literally every song (I'll reinforce this point later; I hate this character limit), the drugs (mostly alcohol) are evident in, again, mostly every song (Also, Gaga's 'Telephone' vid was reportedly banned from MTV for the same reasons I iterate here). The violence portion is more in the videos, with the killing of the boyfriend and what-not. And as you can see from the most recent advancements in technology and availability of music, it is quite easy for young children to gain access to this music, absorb its information again AND again AND again, and eventually take hold of the misconception that, as Gaga says 'Everything's fine. Just Dance.', when in the real world, everything is far from fine. They don't understand that alcohol, exposing yourself to anyone, mindless sex, death, stalking, and many many other things are NOT okay. They shouldn't even be dealing with those things at such an age! But there the songs are: ready to take children in their grip and teach them everything they DIDN'T need to know. And who lets, no, CAUSES these things to happen?

Lady Gaga and her 'music'.

I await my opponent's response.

http://www.youtube.com...

http://www.youtube.com...
ummlolyeah

Con

Obviously, you misread portions of my argument and so have some misconceptions on what I was trying to say.

Firstly, I stated that the personal image of Lady Gaga puts out good messages in the world and shows her true colors rather than the ones you think you see through her music videos. The Lady herself is running a campaign against the AIDS virus by selling lipstick. The purpose is to give the lipstick as a gift to a mother or a daughter (or a lipstick-wearing friend of any sort) and it will be a reminder to them as they put it on before they go out for a date to be sure to have their partner to "wrap it up" in an attempt to stop the spread of the AIDS virus. How could this woman be the same one who supposedly encourages children to have "mindless sex"? Additionally, she worked to fight domestic violence by donating money to charities, donated an entire show's revenue to Haiti relief, sold merchandise for Haiti, and speaks out against hateful actions in the music industry. Again, how is this the same woman who supposedly "kills boyfriends and what-not" while she fights with a passion against suffering in the world? The point is, it most certainly ISN'T and my opponent here has mistakenly assumed these things by only taking a very shallow look at her lyrics. Therefore, hating a woman who fights with a passion to expel violence and hatred from the world and rid the world of a virus that kills countless numbers of people.

Since the shallow and judgmental view of my opponent threw the image of Gaga's "Paparazzi" video very far out of the truth, why don't we re-evaluate the video:

Firstly, the first several minutes were skipped. They showed a boyfriend kissing Gaga on a railing for a camera, trying to gain publicity. Gaga became upset from being forced into it and held down by the boyfriend and so smashed a whine bottle over the pigs perverted head, leaving herself to be thrown off of a balcony to the clutches of the paparazzi below her. If you listen closely, you'll notice that there are stabbing noises incorporated into the camera clicks and a person saying "Beautiful! Beautiful!". The purpose was a reference to the Princess Diana incident and illustrated the paparazzi stabbing Gaga in order to take more violent pictures for a good story and better headlines. The sexuality in the video brings a reference to the shallower meaning of the song; chasing a boy until he loves her. But, those lyrics "Baby you'll be famous, chase you down until you love me" are also a reference to Princess Diana where the paparazzi followed her car until it crashed and left her dead, which is why Lady Gaga poisons her boyfriend in the end and why all the murder scenes (especially the suicides) were portrayed because Gaga's point was that "Fame kills" and also whether someone has to chose between fame and love. This was not to encourage children to harm themselves or others or to have raunchy gatherings on a couch, rather, to artistically portray a pop culture event that inspired Gaga.

My point in saying that the sexuality and drug references in songs were widely used was that you can't debate solely on Lady Gaga in that issue since there are swarms of other artists who have the exact same shallowly noted theme in their lyrics. If these lyrics are so damaging to people, then you might want to tackle artists like Jeffree Star, Ke$ha, and Flo Rida because they are all much much more explicit in their lyrics and have a much shallower and sexual message and so therefore, would potentially be exponentially much more damaging to people than Lady Gaga. You don't have a good point in debating Gaga on this issue while there are others who make so many more references to sex, drugs, alcohol and prostitution than her. She is very very far from explicit in the pop industry. Jeffree Star's "Lollipop Luxary", Kesha's "Take It Off" and "Tik Tok" and Flo Rida's "Sugar" are all strong examples of this and not even one of Gaga's songs even compare to the references made in these songs.

I also said that a child is NOT going to take in the lyrics and make lifestyle choices out of them. Their parents have a much stronger influence over them than music lyrics, and most people don't even listen to what the lyrics are saying either, they just enjoy the beat or the sound of the song. Besides, there are countless other songs that would be much more badly influential than Lady Gaga's music. Why should she be reprimanded for saying she wants your "Bad Romance" while Jeffree Star screams "F**k me!" ever single verse?

While there may be recurring trends to the lyrics of her songs, all of them have deeper meanings. Again, there also is that same recurring trend in mostly EVERY SINGLE POP SONG IN EXISTENCE. And, these "trends" are incredibly more explicit than Gaga's music.

Additionally, Gaga's audience is not necessarily children, she writes to an older and more understanding crowd, most of which also are sexually active and drink. Children would not understand these parts of life and if Gaga's music led them to binging and orgies, that would mean that there is an incredibly absent parent and there should be some action from social services. I would not argue the same point for other artists however, because they are much more explicit in their lyrics as I have to state yet again to dispel your ignorance to the rest of the music industry.

Lady Gaga has been out in the music world for 2 years now, and if someone were to be influenced by it, they would most likely have done something bizarre and crazy by now. I challenge you to find one single legitimate criminal case were a child became involved in something due to Lady Gaga's music to prove that she actually is a problem and that you might have a scrap of an argument in this debate.
Railsguardian

Pro

I, for the third and final time, thank my opponent for his most generous response.

Again, the purpose of this debate it to talk about Lady Gaga's music and the MUSIC industry. I'm not even going to touch the simple distraction that my opponent is trying to create through his constant flag waving. Yes, she donated to charity. Yes, that is excellent. Yes, she should keep doing it.

But let's think about this:

Does it change what she says in her songs? No. Does it stop her lyrics provocative-ness and reckless endangerment of the listening community? No. Does it change the fact she imposes the sense that having sex for the fun of it with no mention of protection, much less caution, through her lyrics and that it is okay? No. Does it change the fact she has violence in her videos? No. Does it change the fact that she shows a very inaccurate and biased example of what a woman should look like in her videos? No. Does it change the fact that she promotes drinking and unsafe sex? No. And does it change the fact that she continues to release records and video hammering all of these harmful things into everyone' s heads while excluding the fact that it isn't okay. DEFINETLY not. And does it change the fact that she has a long way to go before she reaches the charitable status of these other, much more high-ranking celebs: http://www.forbes.com...

Of course, no.

And she's doing a great job of 'expelling violence and hatred' with lyrics like the ones found in 'Bad romance', right?

To touch on the sickness of the bad romance video (displayed above) would take the rest of my life, and unfortunately the debate timer only has a little under 24 hours. I think mentioning the masochism, the weirdness, her being sold like an item (another great idea to give to a little girl, right?) and her committing suicide and homicide at the end with the fire while stripping is good enough, don't you think?

And exactly how many lyrics that people listen to do you think they analyze? I think the only reason anyone would is because they look at this poor, misguided woman and say 'What's happened here?' then they go and try to find out, enter the world of drinking, endless sex, and violence that she portrays, and slams that door shut. The only reason that her records are being bought is because people can mindlessly hop to them. That's the point, after all. 'Just Dance' is actually a good metaphor for songs that really, no one 'analyzes the deeper meaning to'.

Apparently, I skipped a little of the video. As you so accurately and justly pointed out, it has even more violence then the part of the video I included before (with the wine bottle, stabbing, and non-management of anger). I do apologize for that 'shallow and judgemental' mistake. And the death of the wonderful Princess Diana is no reason to go poisoning someone, mocking a actual VERY IMPORTANT issue in America (suicide) that is also prominent among the community she swears to protect. I don't think people like seeing faked suicides, now do they? Humorous or not, that is a very touchy subject and, frankly, she should know better then to go there. And again, I see no 'love' in the video. Only pent up rage and hate of a soul in pain: a pain being reflected through her music, her drug and alcohol abuse, and subsequent encouragement of the things wronging her ability to CENSOR herself for once.

And you can launch all the ad-homonym attacks on me that you want: how my points are horrible, how I'm losing, how I have no credibility, but that still won't change the fact: we're talking about Lady Gaga's music. Not Ke$ha's. Not Flo Rida's. And not whoever this Jefree Starr person is. Lady Gaga's music and Lady Gaga's music alone.

A child is easily influenced by the world around them. The best proof I have of that is the fact that you and I, as two teens in America, are discussing some person called Lady Gaga who obviously was an influence INJ SOME WAY in our lives. When young children see a 'superstar' like Lady Gaga rolling around on the television or hear her sprouting her lyrics, they ARE influenced by it. It's common knowledge that all musicians are influenced by other musicians. Why is it so hard to believe that children see things and shape their ideas around them as well? Why do girls think they have to look sexy all of the time? People like Lady Gaga. Where do people get the idea drinking is cool? People like Lady Gaga. Where do people get the idea that it is okay to go and have sex with no love and just for the fun of it. From people like Lady Gaga. And where is the love? The violence, sex, drugs, and drinking are there, but where is the love?

It really doesn't matter how bad all of these artists are and how they are (according to my opponent) worse than Gaga; it's like comparing someone who commits a third degree crime against someone who commits a first degree crime: they're still both criminals, right?

I have an official news report by a major network, a group of facts from the CDC, a group of lyrics that promote drinking and unsafe sex by the artist HERSELF, and countless videos by the same artist (some banned, some not) that show a blatant disregard for the viewing audience. Where can you show me IN HER MUSIC where she has any basis to refute my arguments? I don't want another charity donation or good deed outside her music; that's all well and good, but where does her music refute any of my points? I'll tell you: it doesn't. It only enforces them.

Lady Gaga, indeed, has been out in the music industry for two years, and in that time she's managed to promote a horde of unhealthy behaviors, an extremely unhealthy lifestyle, a legacy that shows weirdness, a desire for attention from everyone, and is someone who has shown no forethought for the consequences of her atrocious actions in her lyrics and videos. Lady Gaga has, therefore, harmed not only the music industry but the music community itself by being a bad influence on everyone. Gaga may have done many good things outside of her music, but the corruption still stands: she does these things on the side, but the image she shows the world on a daily basis is an attention seeking individual who likes to promote drinking, non-stop partying and unsafe sex, self abuse, and overall, shows that she has low self esteem. She needs to clean up her act, become a better role model through her words in her songs and actions onstage and in her videos, and show the world that these things she portrays so often are, in fact, wrong. Then maybe I'll be a fan too. But for now and until that day comes, I respectfully disagree with her and her value system, as well as with my opponent.

I thank my opponent for a great and engaging debate.

Vote pro!
ummlolyeah

Con

Music only?

First off, my opponents title for this debate contradicts what he is saying. It is entitled, "LADY GAGA has a negative impact..." so therefore making a reference to LADY GAGA and not Lady Gaga's music.

As he says the actions she does outside of her music writing do not change her message in the song, well, of course it doesn't, but that would be true only if one had the right interpretation of the song. Her intention is NOT to harm the lives of others or to influence others to ruin their lives with drugs, alcohol, and potential STD's. The way that she writes her music is affected by her life experience and she has had sex before, quite obviously she enjoyed it and so it influences her music. She also, being a bisexual, had to discover her sexuality and so it became a significant part of her life. She HAD a cocaine addiction but early after debuting, quite the drug. (http://anythinghollywood.com...) Lastly, she enjoys an occasional drink but however is not a heavy drinker, and actually, the fact that she became uncomfortable in the club scene inspired her song "So Happy I Could Die"

Her music is her way of expressing herself and so falls under the constitutional right to people's freedom of speech. So Gaga has the lawful right to be writing what she does. Obviously, it is well appreciated as she is a very well selling artist and all of her singles became number ones, making a new record on the charts. She is also the first artist in 30 years (since Michael Jackson) to have five number one hits on a debut album. Her music is well known and widely listened to so I ask, if it had such a drastically negative affect on the human population as my opponent so boldly states, on his theory, wouldn't someone have gotten to the media by now? Shouldn't there be some sort of lawsuit? A court case maybe? The fact is there isn't but what there is a record of are plenty of notable charities that she ran leaving her with a rather positive affect instead of the negative one my opponent seeks to prove.

The purpose of Bad Romance was to have a song about falling in love with your best friend knowing that the relationship wouldn't work. All people have bad relationships, the purpose was to make a song out of one. Lady Gaga as a person has the right to be able to dress as she wishes, and as her outfits might show her stomach or legs, they are things that would be allowed in some public places. It'd be like going to the beach.

Lady Gaga writes music so that people can relate her songs to things in their lives, if it just so happens to be memories of an extreme drug addiction and wild nights of partying and unprotected sex that people find in her music, so be it. She isn't looking to TELL people to do these things at all. Her music, compared to mounds of other pop songs, is actually quite mild.

Lady Gaga doesn't look to conform to the boundaries society places on people, and as my opponent stated, "She should know not go go there" on the topic of suicides, one of her goals in her music is to make us reconsider what we think is "taboo" and to make people have more open minds. She fought with Virgin Mobile to get homeless children off the streets and against domestic violence. She definitely does not support it.

My point in listing other artists was to state that there are many other artists that are much more explicit than she is in her lyrics and others that should be focused on over her. It's like the common belief that Germany and Japan were the most affected countries in WWII while China and Russia lost the most civilians and soldiers. There are so many other artists who are much more explicit than her and so you can't blame her for destroying society.

Lady Gaga has the right to live her life as she pleases. She has the right to write what she pleases. If people disagree with her, than they have the right to not listen to her music and keep their children from it. There is no proof that after listening to Just Dance that children run out and get drunk and have sex, while plenty of charitable and awareness programs done by Gaga herself to keep just that from happening. The music is up to the listeners interpretation and if they don't like it, they don't have to listen to it. Her music lyrics are not meant to make people make bad choices, and she influences the world in a good way through her charities.
Posted by Igotnext1986 6 years ago
Igotnext1986
She's just another corporate puppet to keep the masses blissfully ignorant & apathetic. She should invest her "time" in understanding her own awareness programs, instead of her "money." It doesn't wash the dirty away but only provides a false sense of comfort in feeling better about herself (her low self esteem & the need for attention). She says it all in her HBO special:

"I'll take a dose of B.S. over the truth any day." Coming from an artist (as popular as her) promoting ignorance has EXTREMELY detrimental consequences on the music community & especially CULTURE.

100% Pro
Posted by Zetsubou 6 years ago
Zetsubou
This debate is depressing.
Posted by juvanya 6 years ago
juvanya
Agree strongly with pro
Posted by InsertNameHere 6 years ago
InsertNameHere
LoveTheMostHighGod, Lady GaGa's lyrics are not meant to be deep, same with most other pop music. Pop music is intended to just be something fun and light-hearted you can dance to.
Posted by reddj2 6 years ago
reddj2
How is pop a bad influence ?, keep in mind that pop touches alot of genres .
Im pretty sure mosh pit music isn't helping anyone
Stop being a music snob
Music doesn't have to mean something or have a deeper meaning than what is on the surface Ex: Just dance

Some people just wanna hear a good beat
Posted by LovetheMostHighGod 7 years ago
LovetheMostHighGod
I really don't like lady gaga ever since she lunch her first album/song..all of her song has a good beat but doesn't have good lyrics..it's all nonsense..you can't even get a good message from her song..very worldly..and she perform lust in all her video which is not good for teens to watch..She's famous but i can't tell that she has good contribution in the music industry..She is not a good example..
Posted by ajah 7 years ago
ajah
ladydygagaga certainly has a negative impact on this website. lol, i blame the instigator!(jovially, of course...)
seriously tho, you're talking about chart influenced popular music. the whole genre has a negative impact on the music industry/community, in that, it's the least challenging, least thought provoking, least dynamic music there is, yet it's the most readily available to the masses?. wtf?!
Stefani Germanotta (lagaga) is a classically trained musician, yet she churns out absolute crap to be released worldwide. it's not really her fault tho, she's a pawn just like the rest of them. if se released a jazz based instrumental album wit her hugging a Chapman Stick on the cover, she and her label wuld make no money and nobody would know her name. in any other social situation noone would give, say, jls the time of day, but because the masses have been dumbed down to their levels, they are some sort of musical icon! it's just another way 'your' governments have control over you all.
it makes me sick that tripe like this gets worldwide coverage and criticl acclaim and at the same time noone has even heard of, say, Canvas Solaris, or Katatonia(swedish rock band, not welsh pop group), Liberty 37, Noisia, Ulver..... the list goes on.
this is why 'the beatles' is a household name, and faces go blank when you mention the name 'king crimson'. the later are blatently the superior band.

maybe the debate should've been 'Simon Cowell has a negative impact on the music industry'

sorry, rant over.
Posted by Vi_Veri 7 years ago
Vi_Veri
Ya'll just a bunch of Lady Gaga haters lol. She's rather brilliant.
Posted by Railsguardian 7 years ago
Railsguardian
Apparently, ummlolyeah has left the site.
Posted by anonymous9304 7 years ago
anonymous9304
wow this is a super interesting debate. Railsguardian and ummlolyeah are great debaters.
Vote Placed by M.Hernandez 6 years ago
M.Hernandez
RailsguardianummlolyeahTied
Vote Placed by yoman9210 6 years ago
yoman9210
RailsguardianummlolyeahTied
Vote Placed by HeXimei 7 years ago
HeXimei
RailsguardianummlolyeahTied
Vote Placed by Pr0t0typ3 7 years ago
Pr0t0typ3
RailsguardianummlolyeahTied
Vote Placed by breanna15 7 years ago
breanna15
RailsguardianummlolyeahTied
Vote Placed by YouImpossibleChild85 7 years ago
YouImpossibleChild85
RailsguardianummlolyeahTied
Vote Placed by zabrak 7 years ago
zabrak
RailsguardianummlolyeahTied
Vote Placed by wonderwoman 7 years ago
wonderwoman
RailsguardianummlolyeahTied
Vote Placed by Vi_Veri 7 years ago
Vi_Veri
RailsguardianummlolyeahTied
Vote Placed by philosphical 7 years ago
philosphical
RailsguardianummlolyeahTied