Truth_seeker
ricksterpr0

Lana Del Rey is one of the best artists in America

ricksterpr0
Started: 7/17/2014 Category: Music

Truth_seeker

Pro

I take the position that Lana Del Rey is underrated and doesn't give the attention she deserves for being passionate of her music and keeping it real all the time in comparison to mainstream artists.
ricksterpr0

Con

Best Defintion "of the most excellent, effective, or desirable type or quality."

You have said that she is underrated, but even so, this does not prove she is the best. Could you provide reasons as to why she is one of the bet. So far, it just sounds like you like her and that is your only reason.
Truth_seeker

Pro

Lana Del Rey is the best because each of her songs are unique (none sound the same) and sound cinematic. She combines elements of pop, rock, sadcore, alternative, trip hop, soul, blues,r and b, hip hop, trip hop, Jazz of the 1900's, Indie, the list goes on. She is way more diverse than modern artists these days. She has a contralto vocal range (a very unique range) so she can go really high down to a low " jazzy " voice easily.

As for her cinematic music videos, each one uniquely tells of her personal life. There is power, meaning, and emotion as she is in the video.

Her lyrics focus on themes of love, passion, sex, money, fame, fortune, drugs, greed, lust, beauty, innocence, romance, etc. They are original such as "Million Dollar man" and "National Anthem."

I've checked out artists like Alicia Keys, Taylor Swift, Rihanna, etc. nope, sorry, they can't be as original and lack some of these qualities that Lana Del Rey has. Not to mention that her album "Ultraviolence" outsold Rihanna's and Linkin Park's.
ricksterpr0

Con

My opponent fails to understand that even though in his/her opinion the artist is original and deep, it does not prove that she is one of the best. To define someone as one of the best, you would be saying that they are better than other musicians, which he/she has failed to do. It is her opinion that she is one of the best, but things that are a matter of opinion are not valid proof for her being one of the best. As for originality my opponent says" Her lyrics focus on themes of love, passion, sex, money, fame, fortune, drugs, greed, lust, beauty, innocence, romance, etc." , which contradicts her statement because it is probable that many people like myself would not find these topics original whatsoever. In the Music Industry the best would most likely be defined a someone who is over the top successful and freakishly talented. None of these aspects have been presented in his/her argument so it is unfair to say she is one of the best based on her personal opinion.
Truth_seeker

Pro

Not all artists who are famous and successful are the best, but actually the worst. I gave some examples of artists who are not as good as Lana Del Rey, but I guess I should explain why. Richness in substance and power in musical originality make a best artist.

Beyonce might make catchy songs, but the lyrics are unimaginative. " crazy in love " is an example. The lyrics are too simplistic , matching that of an amateur. Title itself is clich""'"'��. The lyrics are too clich""'"'�� and dull. Lana Del Rey mixes poetry focusing on love, but also on human nature. I'll illustrate :

"One for the money, and two for the show
I love you honey, I'm ready, I'm ready to go
How did you get that way? I don't know
You're screwed up and brilliant,
You look like a million dollar man,
So why is my heart broke?"

In this, Lana Del Rey expresses her deepest desires to be with a man, but at the last line, she introduces a double meaning. Her man is rich, but won't invest himself in the relationship, thus leaving her empty and at the same time, ruining her heart. The lyrics to "Crazy in love" are too superficial.

Rihanna as well make songs that lack power and emotion in comparison to Lana Del Rey. It sounds like a typical pop singer in each song. The tone and style of Lana's voice change in each song. For example, in "cruel world " she adds voice effects to make her sound drunk, thus adding artistic detail to the song. In other songs, she shifts the tone and effects to make it seem like she is expressing a song of sorrow towards a bad relationship.

Taylor Swift is just unoriginal period. In one of her songs, she talks about how her guy is like Romeo (everyone knows that), whereas Lana Del Rey compares her men to real people not many people know of. I did not say that her themes are original, i'm simply saying that it's more diverse than artists that just stick with 1 or 2 themes their whole career.
ricksterpr0

Con

I would like to conclude my debate by saying, once again, that his/her entire argument is based solely on his/her own personal standpoint on what defines the best, and her reasoning is considerably flawed when diminishing other artists. He/She makes an attempt to explain why she is he best by saying that she has richer substance than other artists, but fails to provide contrasting examples that delineate other artists as being bad. Her only evidence of this is "I've checked out artists like Alicia Keys, Taylor Swift, Rihanna, etc. nope, sorry, they can't be as original and lack some of these qualities that Lana Del Rey has." which essentially says her only definition of best is originality. but later, she adds in to suit her case that
" Richness in substance and power in musical originality make a best artist." She has yet to prove this to be true, or even give background information supporting as to why it is true. It is her personal opinion in fact that these qualities define the best, but there are most likely many conflicting views. For example, one person could define the best artist as the most talented. To actually prove that this artist is better than people all together, she would have to prove that they were better in every aspect, and she has only provided one narrow-minded reason as to why she is the best only by her standards of the word. What my opponent has essentially done is prove to her self that this artist fits her personal definition of the best. I can gather overall that her definition of best can simply be defined as the qualities she likes in this one artist.
Posted by mrPrime 2 years ago
mrPrime
pure speculation. can't be debated until you clearly define "best"
Posted by NiamC 2 years ago
NiamC
So, you say "one of the best", but surely that kinda contradicts itself.
Posted by Free_Th1nker 2 years ago
Free_Th1nker
how do you define best?
Vote Placed by FuzzyCatPotato 2 years ago
FuzzyCatPotato
Truth_seekerricksterpr0Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Unfulfilled BOP.
Vote Placed by Free_Th1nker 2 years ago
Free_Th1nker
Truth_seekerricksterpr0Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro offered nothing to prove the original assertion, it was entirely speculative and personal.