chiwawatang
Logical-Master

Laptops are better than TVs

Started: 1/12/2008 Category: Technology

chiwawatang

Pro

There is not much to say, but my main point is that Laptops can also do work, chating, e-mail and much more. TVs can only braodcast some films and news, and thats pretty much it! Laptops are also portable
Logical-Master

Con

First, I would like to thank my opponent for allowing anyone to be the contender of this debate. With formalities out of the way, let us proceed.

BEFORE ANY READS ON, TAKE NOTE OF THE FOLLOWING: I understand that many have already formulated their opinion on this case (and I respect all of your opinions), but I ask that you vote based on who provided better arguments rather than what you already believe as this is called "Debate.org", not "Opinion Poll.com"

My opponent argues that laptops can do work, can be used for chatting, email, and much more. That's all fine and good, but what my opponent neglects to mention is the many ways a laptop can figuratively bite it's recipient in the butt. Below, I will list several problems with laptop usage

#1. Hackers. Throughout the decades, hacking has become a problem in the computer community. Through hacking, one can seize any information of his/her choosing. Got any documents that boss entrusted to you from work? Got any personal information in your computer's hard drive? Due to hacking, all of that information can be compromised. To SOMEWHAT (as in not completely) prevent
the chance of hacking, you have to spend extra money to buy a security program. If you think that's bad, you have to constantly spend money if you hope to permanently keep the security program up to date.

#2. Viruses. These pesky digital beast have been a problem just as long as hacking has. Unlike security breaches manifested from hacking, they are extremely common and can still slip past even the latest security program. You can receive a virus through opening an email or merely clicking on a website. There are even some viruses which cannot be dealed with no matter how much money you pay out to have your computer fixed. Due to them, your computer has about 5-7 years (on average) (the latter if you can constantly spend money through updating) of usage before you need to buy a new one.

#3. Spam. If you think advertising is bad on TV, you haven't seen anything yet. Spam exist in many forms. There is spam that LITERALLY FLOODS your email box, there is spam that pops up in additional windows when you click on a website, and there is spam which advertisers secretly download to your computer. If you're a computer novice, you're not going to be able to deal with any of these. If you at least have a moderate understanding of computers, you can deal with the second one and somewhat deal with the first (as advertisers have found means of bypassing your spam folder), but unless you have an expert understanding of computers, you going to be bitten in the
butt by the 3rd regardless of what you do. The best you can do is pay even more money to buy a software program to deal with some of these downloads which you do not know about, but like viruses, even the best software program cannot deal with all of these unknown downloads.

#4. Scamming. This problem is by far the worst problem as you can lose all of your money. If you decide to purchase something over the Internet, there is always the possibility that you are giving your credit/debit card information to someone who wishes to scam you. There are currently ways of dealing with scammers, but you must monthly shell a large sum of money for these programs.

My opponent suggest that laptops are portable (and thus better), but there are handheld TVs on the market that are sold at reasonable prices, so his point is easily negated.

Another advantage TV has is that any program can be automatically recorded and watched at any time of your choosing. This can be done through purchase of Tivo (which sells at a price that even lower class families can afford).

TV also has an advantage in that yours kids can enjoy the many console systems which allow them to play video games. While video games can be played on your laptop, the video games there are FAR more options of video games which can be played on TV. Not to mention that laptop video games almost always require that you have the most updated computer on the market the day they are sold. There's also the fact that some of the consoles have Internet access, but do you want to know what the best part is? On these video game consoles, #1, #2, and #3 won't even be much of a problem considering the futility there is in attempting to employ them against video game consoles (much less your television).

My opponent neglects to mention that all films can be played on a television, provided that they are in VCR or DVD format.

I now stand ready for my opponent's rebuttal.
chiwawatang

Pro

You can play your dvds on the laptop, and some laptops can play tv. All these viruses and spamming you may talk about does not apply to everyone. You would only get viruses if you are stupid enough not to download some security, or that you didnt check where you put your credit card details. Personally, I have never had a laptop crash because I downloaded software I needed. I have never signed up to a website which asks for personal information and isn't known worldwide. If your point is also, chatrooms are dangerous, dont talk to people who you have never even seen before. Its all to do with common sense. Laptops are officially the best. You also can do anything a TV can do.
Handheld/portable TVs are absoloutly terrible. The screen is so terrible that you cant have a good look. Well, pretty much nothing can beat the cinema apart from if you saw the latest news, the biggest TV, its as big as an elephant!!!

Lastly... Besides from the debate, I am not male, I am female...
Logical-Master

Con

My opponent states that one can play DVDs on a laptop and that some laptops can play tv, whereas I've contested. I believe this is in response to what I stated at the end of the previous round. Quote: "My opponent neglects to mention that all films can be played on a television, provided that they are in VCR or DVD format." This was in response to my opponent's original claim: "TVs can only broadcast some films and news, and that's pretty much it!" She said that TVs could broadcast SOME films, but I've pointed out that TV can broadcast all films and news, provided they are in the DVD or VCR format (which is essentially what films are marketed through).

My opponent states that you would only get viruses if you are stupid enough open a suspicious email, but as I have previously suggested, this is false as one can get a computer virus merely through clicking on a web page.

In this article, expert Rob Rosenberg states that there is no such thing as a foolproof anti virus program: http://www.ciremagazine.com... . So simply getting an anti-virus program won't save you in your mission to keep our computer from getting infected. Having had experience with these myself, often times, they are only able to warn you about the existence of a plethora of viruses on your computer rather than effectively get rid of them. Due to these viruses piling up, one would have to trade in for a new laptop after 5-7 years to of use. Given that my opponent does not respond to this point in my previous round, she therefore concedes concerning the matter of the overall amount of years a laptop is usable for.

In response to my point concerning Internet scams, my opponent states that she has never provided her personal information via the Internet to a site that isn't known worldwide. I respond stating that this drastically limits the amount of websites one can conduct business/access as one (under my opponent's condition) would not be able to use websites known primarily to the regions they are created in.

My opponent doesn't address my point argument concerning hackers, so you can extend it.

My opponent doesn't respond to my argument concerning the benefits of "Tivo", so you can extend that argument.

My opponent doesn't respond to the argument concerning video game consoles as well as the current (not to mention affordable) Internet usages they have, so you can extend it.

My opponent then states that a laptop can do anything a tv can do, but presents no premise for this claim. You can therefore dismiss it.

She then states that handhelds/portables are absolutely terrible since you can't have a good look, but this hardly the case. The size doesn't seem to matter as its being able to watch movies/television at any place/time which appeals to consumers. In fact, TV has made it's way to the Cell phone industry as shown here: http://www.msnbc.msn.com... . Ironically enough, the quality here is praised.

Closing Statements: Sure, one could say that laptops and tvs are not comparable, but that's not necessarily what this debate is about. It's which one you're better off with that counts. The only area which a laptop beats a TV in is the area of work. That said, given that most jobs are going to provide you with a computer to use (the same applies for colleges if you take the its libraries into consideration), you're better off buying a TV first as its provision of superior entertainment is a great way to relieve stress (which I understand is a problem to many) as well as to cater to household guest (especially if you don't have the communication skills to keep them entertained) or your children. Besides, as I've suggested, there are loads of problems which you (and your wallet) will be dealing with regularly if you wish to pursue keeping a laptop in acceptable condition.

Anyway, in this debate, my opponent has failed to show you how these problems don't effect a laptop when it comes down to a comparison with a TV. She has also failed to successfully counter the many benefits which a television is bound to provide one with. For that, I urge you to vote in negation of this resolution.

Posted by chiwawatang 9 years ago
chiwawatang
anyway, I AM NOT DUMB! that is like a total violation to my rights! urgh, some people...
Posted by chiwawatang 9 years ago
chiwawatang
if you ppl hadnt noticed, this is my first debate, I'm only practicing for a big debate, and, I'm just no the best at debating, while SOME PPL are... so there is my statement
Posted by aredcard4u 9 years ago
aredcard4u
while I agree with the chiwawatang, I will vote for logical-master because he debated more persuasively... good job!
Posted by righty10294 9 years ago
righty10294
although laptops and tvs are diffrent, logicalmaster just did a way better job than chiwawatang. It looks like a genious debating a dumb person.
Posted by Yraelz 9 years ago
Yraelz
Logical-master wins easy. Chiwawatang was almost trying to do a poll....
Posted by sirdebatesalot 9 years ago
sirdebatesalot
I agree with Harlen. Laptops and TVs are 2 totally different things.
Posted by Logical-Master 9 years ago
Logical-Master
lol! I keep procrastinating, but since I have two days, I'll get back to it (and my other arguments on debate.org) in the allotted time. That said, I must respond to your comment, kels.

I believe an Xbox can be considered an extension of a TV no different than the Internet can be considered an extension of the laptop.

I agree that the two aren't comparible, but stating that the resolution isn't a valid resolution has never been a valid argument in debate (at least from my experience in it).
Posted by kels1123 9 years ago
kels1123
chiwawatang, an xbox isn't actually part of a tv though , so you are wrong. Also you just stated you can't afford an xbox so you prefer a laptop , but that is not a true argument as many people can afford an xbox ..so in that case a tv may be the better of the two. But again a tv doesn't include an xbox . It isn't part of the tv and again a tv and a laptop are very different and incomparable.
Posted by Logical-Master 9 years ago
Logical-Master
I'll respond a later after I am finished catching up on my studies. Your response is short and I could have responded earlier had I paid attention to the alert sign at the top. Nevertheless, I don't intend to forfeit. Later.
Posted by chiwawatang 9 years ago
chiwawatang
actually kels1123, if you heard, if you insert an XBox into a TV you can actually play games, email and text, so your pretty much wrong. Even though I am absoloutly addicted to TV, I prefer a laptop because I cant afford an XBox and TV. Then I'd just be broke
Vote Placed by KingDebater 8 months ago
KingDebater
chiwawatangLogical-MasterTied
Vote Placed by Tatarize 7 years ago
Tatarize
chiwawatangLogical-MasterTied
Vote Placed by Logical-Master 7 years ago
Logical-Master
chiwawatangLogical-MasterTied
Vote Placed by JBlake 8 years ago
JBlake
chiwawatangLogical-MasterTied
Vote Placed by Robert_Santurri 8 years ago
Robert_Santurri
chiwawatangLogical-MasterTied
Vote Placed by s0m31john 8 years ago
s0m31john
chiwawatangLogical-MasterTied
Vote Placed by beem0r 9 years ago
beem0r
chiwawatangLogical-MasterTied
Vote Placed by Randomknowledge 9 years ago
Randomknowledge
chiwawatangLogical-MasterTied
Vote Placed by Sanchez 9 years ago
Sanchez
chiwawatangLogical-MasterTied
Vote Placed by armychick 9 years ago
armychick
chiwawatangLogical-MasterTied