barbequechickensandwich
Zephyr

Laptops are better than desktops.

barbequechickensandwich

Pro

The following definitions are provided by WWW.dictionary.com. A laptop is a battery-powered microcomputer small enough to rest on the user's lap, and a desktop is a type of computer, small or compact enough to fit or be used on a desk: a desktop computer. In this debate, I strongly argue that laptops are much better than desktops because of its convenience and portability.

Contention One.
Laptops are usually more expensive than desktops, and that must have a reason: the price is determined by how majority prefers one to another. Laptops come with a battery included; a user of a laptop can take it anywhere and use it as if he/she were at home. Also, the batteries of laptops are made to last, so the user can use the computer for more than one hour. I also have a laptop, and what I know from using both laptops and desktops is that laptops are more convenient. When I first installed my desktop computer, it took me an hour to set up the computer; however, for the laptop, I just turned it on, went through some simple steps, and started using it.

Contention Two
What probably makes laptops unbeatable against desktops is the portability. One can move around while working on a laptop. For example, a business man could be traveling to Brazil and be also working on a laptop inside the airplane. If you had to immigrate to Canada, planning to move around a lot, would you pick a laptop or a desktop?

Therefore, I believe that portability and convenience brings laptops the champion's belt. Anyone but those who work at home or do "nothing important" at home would disagreeing with me, or at least I believe so.
Zephyr

Con

I must disagree with your ideas, because I believe that how good an object is is determined by the person owning it. For instance, to a developer a desktop is essential for its stability and performance.

You never state a definition for convenient so I will go ahead and state it for you. This is also from http://dictionary.reference.com...
Convenient-suitable or agreeable to the needs or purpose.

Contention One (My first and only contention.)
For many businesses having desktops is absolutely necessary. This is true because, one, desktops are more cost-effective. Secondly, desktops are harder to be misplaced, therefore reducing theft and the need to buy costly insurance. Therefore, in these times of economic downfall, desktops will easily prevail for its cheaper cost and its solid stability and performance.

On to your case.

First, you say that laptops are more convenient than desktops. However, you only said that the setting up of laptops is more convenient, meaning that laptops are only more convenient in that area. Desktops can handle more processes than most laptops can. Although desktops are not as portable as laptops desktops have more stability than laptops when it comes to battery life.

Secondly, desktops are cheaper than laptops. You state that laptops are more expensive than desktops because there is a higher demand for them. However, the main reason why laptops are more expensive is because it requires more technology to make the computer parts smaller, not because more people want laptops.
barbequechickensandwich

Pro

What you are saying right now is that cheaper price means convenience; however, affordability and convenience are two different things. Convenience is the readiness of the product when one needs to use it, and affordability is the availability for cheaper prices. You should not just look up a word on the online dictionary and say that what you think suits perfectly to your word. You have to be correct.

Also, laptops are more expensive because they require better technology. Then, is it not better than a desktop? I think I forgot to mention the definition of better:of superior quality or excellence. Laptops are superior to desktops obviously because it needs an advanced technology. What you said in the first branch of your argument only helps me prove my point. Thank you.

You should also realize that many business people prefer laptops because they often travel abroad. You cannot just mention a specific group of business people and say they are the majority of the population of the consumers. There are several billion people on this earth. Those business people that "you" mentioned are only a small percentage of the whole population of the world.
Zephyr

Con

When have I ever said that the affordability of a desktop is what makes it convenient? I precisely stated that what makes a desktop convenient is its ability to run many processes at once. What you have said was never stated by me, so you are basically putting words into my mouth.

To address your concern with my definition of convenient, the way I am using convenient is to state that desktops are more convenient when running many processes. Therefore my definition of convenient fits for this situation.

Also, you say that since laptops require more technology laptops are better. However, the technology used in laptops are similar to the technology used for desktops, the only difference being that the advanced technology helps make the parts of the laptop smaller. This does not mean that laptops are better, only that it is harder to make one. The advanced technology used in laptops does not in anyway improve the quality and performance of the laptop.

I realize that some business men and women prefer laptops for its portability. However, you failed to mention the business men and women who work in offices. The office workers often prefer desktops for its stability and performance rather than the laptops portability. Also you state that the people I mentioned is merely a small percentage of the whole population. With no evidence to back your statement up, I believe your statement cannot be considered true.

You have also failed to counteract my statement saying that desktops are less likely to be misplaced or stolen, which in the end, saves money. Therefore, my statement must be logical and that I am correct when I say that desktops are more cost-effective.
barbequechickensandwich

Pro

First of all, Laptops are convenient because it does not need any wiring in the process of set-up. Desktops need complex wire settings before being able to use; however, laptops come prepared for the users, and it does not need a professional knowledge to set up a laptop: the wireless network finder are usually included in the laptop. Also, many programs are already installed on laptops, making it easier for the users. Therefore, the convenience of setting up a laptop will always be an advantage.

Second of all, for what you said in your second round's argument, I will say that laptops are harder to be stolen *because* laptops are portable; what it means is that portable devices are handled with more care and weariness therefore becoming harder to be misplaced. On the other hand, desktops are more noticeable to a potential thief. For example, in the school of my friend, 7 desktops are stolen during the school year. If desktops were harder to be misplaced or stolen, how did those desktops get stolen? My school uses more laptops than desktops; a safe box with laptops secure the laptops when they are not used. In a class period, when laptops are needed, the teacher brings the safe box into the classroom and distributes them to the class. After the class is done, all the laptops are collected. So, the risk of theft is reduced. Because a desktop cannot be moved around easily, it is harder to reorganize a room full of desktops because there would be wires all over the place. Anyone with a desktop would know that messy wires bothers a lot; what my father used to do when he only had a desktop is calling a *professional problem solver for computers* because he could not figure out which jack matches which plug.

Finally, laptops are convenient because they have many installed programs and easier set-up process. Furthermore, laptops are portable, therefore enabling the user to work anywhere and anytime. Laptops are better than desktops. Solid.
Zephyr

Con

The complex wire settings that you say is required to set up a desktop does not require professional knowledge. I was able to set up my desktop within 5 minutes using the simple instructions that came with my desktop. Also you mentioned that many programs are already installed on laptops which make life easier for the users. However, the flaw in that statement is that desktops can also have pre-installed programs. Therefore, the convenience of a laptop is not as greeat as you say it to be.

To answer your second argument, I must say that the reason a safe box exists is to portect the laptops. Therefore, it must be ture that more protection was used on the laptops than on the desktops that were stolen. Since your school used the safe box, the school obviously added "insurance" on the laptops by doing so. Therefore, it gives further evidence that laptops require more security than desktops. Also the scenario used in your argument was merely a school situation. Since that scenario is not universal, as you said the scenario must be to be true, the statement cannot be true for all cases. Therefore, you cannot claim that laptops are superior to a desktop.

For your final argument you restate the conveniency of having pre-installed programs and a easier setup process. As I have already counteractedd these statements I will go on.

You have failed to mention a laptops performance against that of a desktop, you only mention its portability. Just because something is portable does not make it better. Think of a small portable battery and compare it to a unmovable but stable and strong generator. Those are the items you are comparing, a powerful, fast and stable desktops against a portable laptop. Desktops are superior in three categories, while laptops are only good in one.
Therefore, desktops are betterr than laptops, whether in the school, the office or your home.
Posted by feverish 7 years ago
feverish
lol @ "ugly,ugly,ugly."
Posted by welldonesteak 7 years ago
welldonesteak
Very nice debate
Posted by Zephyr 7 years ago
Zephyr
Anyways, let's just wait for the voting period to finish to decide the winner.
Posted by barbequechickensandwich 7 years ago
barbequechickensandwich
I didn't try to win votes... You are being critical of everything I say... WOW. Aren't you the one trying to win votes??? It seems to me that you are willing to do ANYTHING to win this debate... ugly,ugly,ugly
Posted by Zephyr 7 years ago
Zephyr
Instead of telling the commenters to check the prices first, you should be the one who lists the prices in the actual debate. Seeing that the debate is over, you should not be trying to win votes. Correct me if I am wrong, but am I not suppose to be critical of every argument in a debate?
barbequechickensandwich
why does CON keep saying that desktops have better performance than laptops? It seriously bothers me because desktops can be much more expensive than a lot of laptops... Laptops and desktops do not have a HUGE DIFFERENCE in their prices. You should also know that there are cost-friendly desktops now in retail stores. Go check the prices of the computers FIRST before saying that desktops are so cheap that people don't want to get laptops... You speak critically to every single argument of mine. Loosen up a little bit.
Posted by Brock_Meyer 7 years ago
Brock_Meyer
C: Tied.
S&G: Pro.
A: Con.
S: Con.

Congrats to both for a well-fought match.
Posted by Cody_Franklin 7 years ago
Cody_Franklin
The funny thing is, I'm voting for CON (in favor of desktops) despite the fact that I'm reading this debate on a laptop, after discovering today that my desktop (hopefully just the power supply) died. That's what I get for leaving it on too long, I guess. Despite that though, the portability and 'advanced' technology that the PRO tries to convince me of just aren't working very well. I know for a fact that my laptop will probably not even break three hours (barely two, really) if I leave it off of the charger. However, I really bought CON's argument that desktops have better performance potential (because they absolutely do). What I would have liked to have heard from PRO was how a lot of laptops come with built-in wireless internet capability; because obviously, desktops rely on fickle ethernet cables or wireless cards (which are often a pain to install). Interesting debate, though.
Posted by Zephyr 7 years ago
Zephyr
Since you mentioned that being better in some ways does not mean it is better universally, you must understand the fact that neither desktops nor laptops are better in all situations. Also personal preference should not interfere with the voting process. Even if you say that you want to get a laptop, that is merely your preference and is of no importance.
Posted by feverish 7 years ago
feverish
This reminds me of a debate I had on this site about whether dogs are better than cats. Better in some ways does not equal better for all situations or individuals.

Saying that though, I really want to get a laptop right now.
Vote Placed by polarbear 7 years ago
polarbear
barbequechickensandwichZephyrTied
Vote Placed by welldonesteak 7 years ago
welldonesteak
barbequechickensandwichZephyrTied
Vote Placed by Brock_Meyer 7 years ago
Brock_Meyer
barbequechickensandwichZephyrTied
Vote Placed by studentathletechristian8 7 years ago
studentathletechristian8
barbequechickensandwichZephyrTied
Vote Placed by Cody_Franklin 7 years ago
Cody_Franklin
barbequechickensandwichZephyrTied