yoda
DouggyFresh

Larger Dogs (Pro) or Common House cats (Con)

DouggyFresh

yoda

Pro

Round 1 is acceptance and definitions.
Round 2 is rebuttals for definitions and opening arguments
Round 3 is rebuttals.
Round 4 is closing arguments.

Definitions:

1. Dog- 4 legged member of the canine family of mammals, specifically the larger breeds including but not limited to: German Shepards, Collies, and Golden Retrievers.
2. Cat- 4 legged member of the feline family of mammals.
DouggyFresh

Con

I accept the challenge.

So, as far as "Larger Dogs" goes, I'd like you to clarify what EXACTLY you mean, since your definition of "4 legged member of the canine family of mammals" includes things like wolves, which I would not argue are inferior to cats.
If you mean the Canis lupus familiaris, or domestic dog, then I still need you to define what constitutes a breed being considered "large". Is it the mass (and thus weight) of the fully grown specimen, the measurements (i.e. height, length) or some other index?
And by "Common house cats" may I submit that you are referring to the Felis catus? Or else do you mean a specific subset of breeds of the Domesticated Cat?

Furthermore, you should clearly stipulate what exactly the topic is, since so far all I have to go on is "Larger Dogs or Common House Cats" which is not an argument.
yoda

Pro

Thank you for accepting my challenge.

1. I was referring to the Canis lupus familiaris group of dogs and I will define larger dogs as taller then 24 in.

2. I was referring to the domesticated cat. Any breed within that category will do.

Premise 1: Dogs are trainable.
Premise 2: Cats are scared by any new people.
Premise 3: Dogs chase cats because they are faster, stronger, and smarter.

P1: If training your cat to sit, stay and heel is your goal, perhaps you should get a dog.(1) Simply put you cannot train a cat to do anything other then to use the litter box. I have several complaints against cats including: The cat sometimes pounces on the owner at five in the morning.

P2: A cat is calm and friendly with his family but afraid of visitors.(2) Cats by their very nature are skittish and fearful of anyone new.

P3: Dogs are smarter than cats and their advantage is increasing.(3) This fact also along with the fact that dogs are designed to sprint and to catch moving things proves that they have a distinct advantage in every way over cats.

I will stop here to give my opponent a chance to lay out his argument.

1. www.perfectpaws.com/cat_training_and_cat_behavior.html
2. pets.webmd.com/cats/guide/shy-fearful-cats
3. http://www.psychologytoday.com...
DouggyFresh

Con

To be clear, I submit that my opponent has not yet made any arguments. He has stated several premises which, by definition, exist to support an argument. You cannot come to any conclusion without first defining an argument.

Additionally, since Pro is the instigator of this debate, and also the proponent, he has the burden of proof (and more importantly, the burden of providing an argument).

That being said, I will easily dismiss the 3 premises my opponent has stated, and provide some compelling premises of my own, supporting an argument that I have in my head that no one gets to know but me.

Premise 1: Dogs are trainable.
I am not choosing to argue against this statement. I would like to point out, however, that you are not stating that cats cannot be trained and thus your point has little merit. You might as well say "Dogs have tails" or "Justin Beiber is a terrible musician, and person in general" (there goes my 8-16 yr old girl vote XD).

I am choosing to argue against this statement. I assume this statement to mean either 1 of 2 things:
2a) MOST cats are scared by new people, or
2b) ALL cats are scared by new people

Premise 2b is the easiest to dismiss. Very simply, I shall use the source you used for your information to point out the severe error in your statement. "However, if a cat is calm and friendly with his family but afraid of visitors, it's often because he didn't have enough experience meeting new people when he was very young." [1] The source you provided as evidence dismisses your argument.

Arguing against premise 2a is going to require me to bring in my own source to nullify Pro's statement. Dogs can also be scared or shy or new people. In either case, both cats and dogs can be fearful of things they re not accustomed to, in this case, humans. [2] In fact, just about anything that a dog has never encountered before: sights, sounds, smells, and on rare occasion even taste can cause a dog to be fearful. [3]

I would like to add another incredibly significant argument, that should tilt the scales heavily in my favor at this point. Related to Pro's 2nd premise, dogs have a shocking disadvantage to cats in one area: the number of humans they have hurt and killed. In the United States alone, dogs send on average more than 1000 victims to the emergency room DAILY for bites. [4] "Getting bitten by a dog is the fifth most frequent cause of visits to emergency rooms caused by activities common among children." [4] After extensive research (almost 3 minutes) I have found no documented cases of death by common house cat (like... wtf... I know, right?). In 2010, 33 documented fatalities from dog bites occurred, of which, 72% were family members (i.e. lived in the house with the dog). [5]

This is just poor logic. If this were true, then why don't dolphins chase cats? And why don't dogs chase babies and children? OMG they do. And that's why 19 of those 33 people that were killed by dogs in 2010 were under the age of 10. 6 of those 19 were under the age of 12 months. [5] Maybe, just maybe, chasing things just because they are slower, weaker, and dumber than us isn't a good thing. Maybe that makes dogs bad. When I think of humans who prey on things that are smaller, slower, and weaker than themselves, I don't typically think of those humans as superior to others.

Your premises are invalid, although they were pointless before they began existing because they do not support an actual argument.

Since this debate is not about whether or not someone likes cats or dogs more, dog lovers or cat haters the world over can still vote Con and sleep at night. Since Pro has not made any sound case, I urge a vote in favor of Con.

[1] pets.webmd.com/cats/guide/shy-fearful-cats
[2] http://www.professorshouse.com...
[3] http://westwoodanimalhospital.com...
[4] http://dogbitelaw.com...
[5] http://www.dogsbite.org...
yoda

Pro

yoda forfeited this round.
DouggyFresh

Con

It is unfortunate my opponent has not had the chance to continue this debate.

I realize I did not fully address Pro's premise about dogs being more suited to catching prey and I will do so now.
"...[D]ogs are designed to sprint and to catch moving things proves that they have a distinct advantage in every way over cats."
Pro is inferring that since dogs are better suited to sprinting and catching prey, that this gives them an advantage. I argue that this does not matter at all, since we are talking about domesticated dogs, and domesticated cats, and since we feed them, and this food does not run away, that in this respect they are both equally suited to catching their prey.

So, regardless of the point Pro was trying to make, I must declare this point irrelevant since we are talking about domesticated animals, not the wild types.

Vote Con please :)

For your entertainment, some cats chasing some bigger, smarter, and stronger animals.

2
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
2
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
2
1
1
1
1
1
yoda

Pro

yoda forfeited this round.
DouggyFresh

Con

By refusing to contend the points I have made, Pro concedes.

Happy voting :)
Posted by DouggyFresh 5 years ago
DouggyFresh
In B4... Opponent FFs
Posted by DouggyFresh 5 years ago
DouggyFresh
ZOMG sooo creepy.
http://www.debate.org...
I'm not presenting this as evidence... yet... but what a random thing to come across in forum, and less than an hour after I mentioned dolphins chasing cats...
Posted by DouggyFresh 5 years ago
DouggyFresh
You still have not formally stated what your argument is, or even clearly what the topic is. I don't now how you expect to have anything resembling a debate when you aren't even supporting an argument (that you have made clear).
Posted by yoda 5 years ago
yoda
I am trying to argue that dogs are generally better (faster, smarter, etc.).
Posted by Smiley02965 5 years ago
Smiley02965
What exactly are you trying to argue?
Posted by PeacefulChaos 5 years ago
PeacefulChaos
Are you arguing that dogs are better? If so, then by "better," do you mean dogs are more beneficial to the owner?
Vote Placed by Greyparrot 5 years ago
Greyparrot
yodaDouggyFreshTied
Reasons for voting decision: 1