Bhas
Jitters

Late term abortion is wrong even when the life of the mother is at risk.

Bhas

Bhas

Pro

I am making the following assumption for my argument:
A) Abortion is wrong if the mother's life is not at risk. I am not debating validity of abortion at large but rather as it applies to this topic (abortion when the health of the mother is at risk.)

I welcome my opponent to begin.
Jitters

Con

The health of the mother is the concern of the mother. The doctor has no say. The government has no say. Perhaps the element of rape has not been taken into consideration. I applaud whoever has the courage to look the parasitic result of the mothers rape in the eyes and say the child "I love you." Whoever has the courage to have half of that evil man living with her. Whoever has the courage to be reminded of a horrible incedent every day of her life when she looks at the one thing that she thought would ever matter to her. If a mother IS NOT at risk of death, then of course she has every right to abort the pregnancy. If the mother IS at risk of death, as before, she has every right to abort the pregnancy. It is between a woman and her self-concious, not between anyone else.
Bhas

Pro

I would like to thank my opponent for his thoughtful response.

A late term abortion is defined as an abortion that occurs after the 20th week of gestation. Therefore if the mother is conscious during the first 20 weeks she should be well aware of her condition and should have by this point accepted her destiny to become a mother (otherwise she would have abort the child in the earlier stages).

Now she faces an unexpected ailment which causes the continuation of the pregnancy to threaten her life. Both lives are of equal value but only one has the power to decide their fate. In this case the only moral decision that could be made is to give both the baby and the mother a fighting chance for survival.

The baby should be delivered via C-section and given the medical care needed to offer the best chance for survival (the quality of medical care will always very based on the current conditions and my in fact may include no care if none is available).

This I believe is the only moral decision since we now know that a person is viable at this point (Research Jill Stanek, born at 22 weeks). So to choose to terminate the life a possibly viable human is wrong indeed.
Jitters

Con

Clearly, as the mother is not a possibly viable human. You are not doctor house...
Bhas

Pro

You are correct I am not Dr. House, a fictional character played by Hugh Laurie, I am quite real and I perform all of my own stunts.

I my not have made it clear in the scenario above that the mother's life is quite viable. Every effort should be made in order to keep her safe. My argument is that there is no point in terminating the child's life simplify because the mother's life is in danger by carrying the child to full term. There are other methods that can be employed other than C-section to remove the child
Jitters

Con

Well, actually, there clearly is. It seems unclear why you're intrested in this subject seeing as it will always be the mothers decision and you will never have a say in her choices...I don't understand why anyone would argue about this when they know the obvious result..
Posted by YoungHoole 8 years ago
YoungHoole
I totally agree with you on this one! Killing a baby inside of a mother, a baby with fingerprints, a heartbeat, and a known gender is just plain wrong. I love this saying by Dr. Seuss "A person is a person no matter how small." I believe that that just sums it all up! Good luck!! :D
Vote Placed by CP 8 years ago
CP
BhasJittersTied
Vote Placed by chris2956 8 years ago
chris2956
BhasJittersTied
Vote Placed by Bhas 8 years ago
Bhas
BhasJittersTied
Vote Placed by Jitters 8 years ago
Jitters
BhasJittersTied