blue_charles
Mr.Miller

Lawns

blue_charles

Con

The debate will precede as follows, the first round will be acceptation and brief statement of views on topic. (1-3 sentences) The second round is where both sides will put up their main argument (at least 2 paragraphs) You may not rebut what your opponent said in rounds 1 and 2 during the second round. Round 3 will be the rebuttals and closing arguments. Round 4 will give a chance to both sides to rebut the rebuttals and to state their closing arguments. Swearing is not allowed. Sources must be cited. Best of luck to my opponent.

***********************
I am against lawns because they waste resources, space, and time that could be better used.
Mr.Miller

Pro

The American home for over a century have been capped off with a lawn. A beautiful, well maintained lawn is like putting a bow on a gift to someone special, they both give that added extra special touch that shows a person cares. Lawns are a source of pride for many, and are often a reflection of those who maintain them.

Lawns are a vehicle to prevent erosion and rapid storm water rain run off into America's sewer system. Without the greenery of a lawn, rainwater that falls rapidly would wash quickly into our streets and ditches causing flooding on roads or even possibly basements (causing much financial harm to many).

Lawns can be developed in many styles and can reflect the tastes of its owners. Whether lawns are a traditional green blanket of growth, or one full of wild flowers. Of course those who do not care how their lawns look may be full of weeds and crabgrass. Either of the above would encourage insect growth beneficial to our ecosystem. Lawns continue to be beneficial to homeowners.
blue_charles

Con

Before I start, I have three things to address. The first is a mistake I make while typing the format for this debate. I said that round 3 would contain closing arguments. This is a mistake, only round 4 may contain your closing arguments.

The second thing I want to address is a mistake that Mr.Miller made while typing his first round. The formant that he agreed to follow stated that the his first round should be 1-3 sentences. Instead, he posted 3 paragraphs. This gives him the unfair advantage of having more time to debate than I do. As a penalty, I ask him to restrain his second round to 4 paragraphs or less. No abusing this system by running several paragraphs together into one.

Finally, I'd like to clarify that, for this debate, the definition of lawn is: ground (as around a house or in a garden or park) that is covered with grass and is kept mowed. Now onto the debate.

******

In this round, I will point out the reasons lawns are a bad concept and shouldn't be used everywhere.

Waste of Supplies

Taking care of a lawn uses a massive amount of resources that can be used for better purposes. Yale University estimated that the U.S uses 600,000,000 gallons of gasoline each year to mow and trim lawns. That's 5 gallons per household. The human energy used to push mowers could be used for better activities.

In some Western states, (New Mexico, California, etc.) the amount of fuel used to move the water to irrigate the lawns is the same as the amount that is used to mow the lawn itself. The water that is used to irrigate lawns could instead be used to irrigate crops or be given to those who need it.

Also, massive amounts of natural gas is wasted by being turned into fertilizer for lawns. The amount of gas used to make 200 bags of fertilizer is enough to heat a home for a full year. The transport of this fertilizer to the stores, and then to your home costs additional fossil fuels.

Lawns also consume large sums of money. Per arce, it costs more to maintain a lawn than it does to grow corn, rice or sugarcane. Each year, North America spends 40 billion dollars on lawns, more than the entire continent gives in foreign aid. That's $75 per person.

Space Could be For Better Purposes

The space used for lawns could be used for something better, like a garden. There are other things that could be used, but the garden is one of the better choices. Having a garden gives you access to fresh and healthy vegetables and decreases your carbon footprint by making it so you don't have to go to the store for all your food and by absorbing CO2 from the air better than grass does. It saves you money by not having to buy all your food from a supermarket. You save money, time, gas, and energy on mowing because a garden doesn't need to be mowed.

Other, more arid, parts of the world could just not have lawns or a garden. They could have whatever plants and soil type is native to their area. This would save massive amounts of oil, natural gas, money, and water.

Harmful to the Environment

The environment also pays a price for the upkeep of lawns. In the U.S alone, an estimated 7 million birds die each year from pesticides. Pesticides have also been linked to Honey Bee Colony Collapse Disorder, which is responsible for destroying entire colonies in days. Runoff into lakes, ponds, and rivers from fertilizers create algae blooms that suck the oxygen from the water, choking the fish that live within.

Sources: http://www.merriam-webster.com...
http://homeguides.sfgate.com...
http://www.safelawns.org...
http://peoplepoweredmachines.wordpress.com...

Mr.Miller

Pro

Mr.Miller forfeited this round.
blue_charles

Con

Since Mr.Miller failed to give the second round of his argument, I have nothing to rebut. If he decides to return to this debate, he will treat this round as if it was his second. His penalty still applies. he misses another round, it shall result in a votebomb in my favor.
Mr.Miller

Pro

Mr.Miller forfeited this round.
blue_charles

Con

Mr.Miller's abandonment of this debate has been noted, and shall result in a votebomb in my favor. If he returns to this debate, he will treat this round as if it was his second. His penalty still applies. Vote Con.
Mr.Miller

Pro

Mr.Miller forfeited this round.