the_conservative
kenicks

LeBron James is the most UNDERRATED star athlete,and is certainly not a crybaby

Started: 5/8/2008 Category: Sports

the_conservative

Pro

LeBron James of the Cleveland Cavaliers is the most underrated player in basketball. Everyone from the national media and even fellow Clevelanders are out to get him or say something bad about him. Is this a sign of jealousy? I mean if he went to college this would be his rookie year. This is his 5th. That says alot
kenicks

Con

the conservative,

I wish the best of luck to you in this sporty debate.

I will begin by refuting the points you made in your opening argument.

"LeBron James is the most underrated player in basketball."

LeBron is the face of the Cavaliers franchise, the main component of their entire roster. Throughout the course of the 2007-2008 NBA season, even after the major blockbuster 11-player trade midway through, LeBron has been leading a one-man team, taking full control of the franchise, pioneering them towards the playoffs. Many NBA analysts have discussed and acknowledged this, even if it was at the expense of his team's woes.

LeBron led the NBA in scoring this year, averaging a whopping 30 PPG. He became the youngest player to reach 10,000 career points, and the fastest to do so in 368 games. He was named the All-Star Game MVP in his fourth consecutive all-star game appearance, was named Eastern Conference POM (player of the month) in January and February, and nearly singlehandedly led the Cavs to the #4 seed in the playoffs.

Just how do I know this? Not from my school textbooks, but from watching ESPN, where sports reporters and NBA analysts discussed his performances, and praised him on his accomplishments. If they do not believe he is underrated, and they do not express the fact that he is underrated, how can he be underrated?

You claim he is the most underrated player in basketball. I can name a few players who are more underrated than him, starting with Steve Nash, the 34-year old point guard of the Phoenix Suns. This man is in the light of his prime, winning back-to-back MVPs in 2004-2005 and 2005-2006, bringing the Suns to the Western Conference Finals in those two years. Nash has continued in his stride the past two seasons, but this year was overshadowed by the tight race of the Western Conference, and his faltering Suns. His age also comes into factor; he averages 16.9 PPG, and 11.1 APG, a double-double per game, at age 34. How many mid-thirty year old point guards can say that?

Nash is also a philanthropist, and formed the Steve Nash Foundation in 2001, which aims to support children who have been subject to abuse, illness, and poverty, and brings them educational, recreational, and empowermental advantages. How often do you hear about that?

Then take Gilbert Arenas. He was disregarded in the 2001 NBA Draft for the most part, taken in the second round by the Golden State Warriors. The next year, he proceeded to win the Comback Player of the Year Award and adorned MVP honors in the Rookie-Sophomore game. He averaged 29.3 PPG in 2005-2006, and 29.7 PPG in 2006-2007. He has taken pay cuts over the past few seasons to let the Wizards have enough money to sign other players, and has his heart and soul in Washington. However, he has been consistently underrated due to his recurring injuries, and missed most of the 2007-2008 season, as well as playing through an injury in 2004-2005.

LeBron has never been severely injured in his 5-year career, thus hasn't had opportunities to have his status lowered via this way.

"Everyone from the national media and even fellow Clevelanders are out to get him or say something bad about him."

I believe your statement here is an exaggeration. Plenty of sportswriters, reporters and fans adore and respect James' stellar play, and compliment him on his achievements. However, as always, criticism is given to even those who are great. This criticism is simply to speculate upon his mistakes, as any player is subject to. Deshawn Stevenson's quote that James was "overrated" was most likely based on jealousy, I'll give you that. However, I have not heard a jealous criticism to date.

Also, Clevelanders are least "out to get him" than anybody; they worship him. I have been to Cleveland (visiting my good friend for his Barmitzvah), and during my stay there I saw a plentiful amount of posters depicting James, most of them with the "We Are All Witnesses" tagline. Here is a poster I saw hanging on Quicken Loans Arena, following Cleveland's NBA Finals loss to San Antonio:

http://lebrontalk.com...

He is the face of Cleveland sports, and they would mourn if he was traded or signed with another team.

Based on the fact that at least two players are more underrated than LeBron James, if he is underrated at all, then LeBron James is NOT the more underrated star athlete.

I await your rebuttal.
the_conservative

Pro

the_conservative forfeited this round.
kenicks

Con

My opponent, the conservative, has forfeited his opening argument for the second round of his debate. Let's say this debate is a twinkie. While he can continue and conclude the debate with the top and bottom half of the twinky, it will lack the creamy fluff center that is the second round. Even more so, he was the one who began the debate, and the concept of starting a debate and abandoning it simply bewilders me.

Such a pity when that happens.

Nevertheless, I shall continue with my argument.

I have been following the Celtics-Cavaliers series closely over the past five games, and witnessed ups and downs for LeBron, specifically the ups and downs of home vs. away. In the first two games of the series in Boston, LeBron went 8 for 42 from the field, a statistic not to be proud of whatsoever. However, on the trip back to Cleveland, in Games 3 and 4 Lebron shot 50% from behind the arc, speculated to be his weakest point in the game, and posterized Kevin Garnett in Game 4 with a windmill dunk. LeBron's play improved, along with point guard Delonte West's, and the Cavs tied the series at 2-2.

The return trip to Boston for Game 5 featured LeBron scoring 23 points in the first half, and was the talk of the halftime show, talking of how he could explode in the second half. The analysts were forced to eat their words, however, when the C's held LeBron scoreless in the third quarter. He ended up finishing with 35, but his team lost by 7 in a 96-89 Celtics victory. The attention of the analysts was focused more so on the Celtics stellar play than LeBron's scoring.

You may be thinking of the other side of the NBA playoffs right now, and Kobe Bryant's performance last night against Utah. "He only scored 26 points," you may be thinking, "9 less that LeBron's game five. LeBron should be rated higher than him!"

Au contraire.

In that Game 5, Kobe Bryant only shot the ball from the field 10 times, and still managed 26 points. King James shot the ball 25 times from the field, scraped up 36 points, and he missed 5 out of 5 three-pointers. Even more so, Kobe's team won the game, despite the fact he only shot ten times; LeBron shot the ball 2.5 times more than Kobe, and his team lost. What does this tell you?

I'll let you be the judge.

When LeBron does well, he gets the credit he deserves. When he doesn't, he doesn't.

I await your rebuttal.
the_conservative

Pro

the_conservative forfeited this round.
kenicks

Con

My opponent has successfully forfeited his middle and closing argument. Nothing much left to say here.

But I will anyway.

Your opening claim is quite a stretch, that LeBron is not only the most underrated basketball player, but the most underrated STAR ATHELETE. I named two players in the NBA that were more underrated then James, much less the entire sports spectrum. I think I'll go and name some more:

MLB:
Kevin Youkilis
Michael Young
Ichiro
Chipper Jones
Aramis Ramirez

NFL
Roy Williams
Laurence Maroney
Donovan McNabb
Mario Williams
Ben Roethlisberger

NHL & MLS
Virtually every player, considering the sports are underrated themselves.

How can you claim LeBron is more underrated than these players?

I watched Game 7 last night with intensity, and watched LeBron and Pierce put on a show for the fans and viewers watching. With all due respect to LeBron's 45 points, he couldn't carry his team to the Eastern Conference Finals, and the lack of his team's success is what draws reporters' attention away from his personal accomplishments. Therefore, he is not underrated.

I have yet to address a portion of the argument in this debate; that LeBron is "certainly not a crybaby". I thoroughly watched Game 7, and at the end they focused on LeBron walking off, and, to the best of my vision, I saw not a strong, sturdy man, but-could it be-a puckered face and maybe a few tears?

The King has been dethroned, and I proclaim victory in the name of the Celtics and Kenicks.

I rest my case.
Posted by TheSkeptic 8 years ago
TheSkeptic
Conduct - CON: PRO forfeited all rounds except the first obviously.

Spelling and Grammar - CON: While PRO didn't make any serious spelling or grammar mistakes, CON didn't either. And since CON did a great majority of typing in this debate, I will give the benefit of the doubt to CON.

Convincing arguments - CON: Obviously CON. CON had all his arguments un-refuted.

Reliable Sources - CON: CON had the only sources.
Posted by Johnicle 8 years ago
Johnicle
*sigh... it's too bad that I have to vote CON on this one because I actually agree with PRO... w/e
Vote Placed by 9spaceking 2 years ago
9spaceking
the_conservativekenicksTied
Vote Placed by TheSkeptic 8 years ago
TheSkeptic
the_conservativekenicksTied
Vote Placed by THE_CONSERVATIVE_remix 8 years ago
THE_CONSERVATIVE_remix
the_conservativekenicksTied
Vote Placed by Robert_Santurri 8 years ago
Robert_Santurri
the_conservativekenicksTied
Vote Placed by advidiun 8 years ago
advidiun
the_conservativekenicksTied
Vote Placed by ANSmith 8 years ago
ANSmith
the_conservativekenicksTied
Vote Placed by JTSmith 8 years ago
JTSmith
the_conservativekenicksTied
Vote Placed by Jamesothy 8 years ago
Jamesothy
the_conservativekenicksTied
Vote Placed by the_conservative 8 years ago
the_conservative
the_conservativekenicksTied
Vote Placed by flatwhite 8 years ago
flatwhite
the_conservativekenicksTied