xxbmorxx
seanybum

Leagality of Physician Assisted Suicide (PAS)

xxbmorxx

Pro

Hello all, I'm brand new to this website. I'd heard about and was planning on joining soon but a friend of mine started a thread about this issue on his facebook. There were people trolling and he really just wanted a good discussion about it, that's when I remembered this website.

So my view is that PAS should be legal for a couple main reasons. For patients with critical diseases, like many cancers for instance, if in unbearable pain or even extreme discomfort should have the option of opting for PAS. I feel this also goes for mental illnesses such as Bi-polar disorder and Schizophrenia. Of course there is the Hippocratic Oath, but unless I'm mistaken this would in fact be helping the patient as it was requested by the patient him or herself.

Basically I want to see what people think about Physician Assisted Suicide and why they think that. I believe it should be legal as it is a request of the patient (of course only if in his/her right mind, as a will). Of course the doctor may refuse to agree to the request but I believe it should be whether or not the doctor believes it is morally right or wrong and not the law.
seanybum

Con

Welcome! I'm new too, having only joined today, so I guess I'm not even entitled to provide you with that courtesy.....

Anyway, thanks for the debate, I accept the challenge you have put forward, and ... let's just bypass all the introductory formalities that the citizens of this website prize so highly. I'm 14 by the way - don't expect too much.

Just one problem with the opinion you've already proposed - the last point. Doctors having control over their opinions on morality and ethics? No, you have to have something definite put in place to regulate these matters, otherwise all sorts of turmoil would arise and then nobody is happy, right?

Once again, thanks for the debate.
I await the your response.
xxbmorxx

Pro

Hi seanybum! Love just getting down to brass-tax! ^_^

So I'm not quite sure what you meant about doctors having control over their opinions on morality and ethics. But what I was trying to say isn't that, for example, a doctor should be able to decide they think someone should die and be put out of their misery, but more that the patient and doctor would have to discuss it.

Also, there is always the Hippocratic Oath and if a doctor feels PAS violates that oath then he or she should have every right to not go along with it. I believe it should not illegal for a doctor who is asked by the patient and believes the patient is of his/her right mind, etc. to put the patient down.
seanybum

Con

seanybum forfeited this round.
xxbmorxx

Pro

xxbmorxx forfeited this round.
seanybum

Con

seanybum forfeited this round.