Idea101
Necrotius

League Of Legends is better than DOTA

Started: 10/21/2013 Category: Games

Idea101

Pro

Both common MOBA games, League of Legends and DOTA have been a common factor for argument for me and a friend. I am here to state that League is better due to a few simple facts.

1) League has a bigger fan base
League has more fans and frankly, more people support it. People make so much fanart and videos that there is a specific channel for people to watch the fanart on youtube.

2) DOTA has easier mechanics.
For the hardened veteran of MOBA games, it is dog eat dog. It's cuttthroat. You learn to do well or you lose. The characters in DOTA are easier to play and it is less of a challenge. If you want to play a game where no one is distinguished as a hard champion to master then go to DOTA.

3) League is known for its competetiveness.
When I first started League, I noticed the World Championships and the prize of 1,000,000 dollars and the Summoners Cup. I don't see a DOTA championship taking place anytime soon.

No hate towards DOTA, I play them both. I just frequent League more.
Necrotius

Con

First off, I'd like to thank Idea101 for bringing this topic to light! It is certainly a heated topic and one that can prove tedious to debate!

Good luck to you and I look forward to debating with you on this topic!

1) Can it really be said that a larger fan base is synonymous with a "better game"? Potential players of any video game will go to the one that they seem to like more. I will concede that League of Legends boasts a larger player base, but that could be for a number of reasons:

a) League of Legends most certainly has an earlier release date than its competitor, Defense of the Ancients 2. League of Legends was released on October 27th, 2009 (GameSpot) while the Beta for DotA II began in 2011. The official release of DotA II was on July 9th, 2013 on Microsoft Windows, and July 18th, 2013 on OSX and Linux. League of Legends has had a longer time to accrue a larger player base than its competitor, DotA II. Since the beta was accessible to a smaller amount of people than the public release, DotA has a long time to grow.

b) Defense of the Ancients requires a "beefier" computer to run. League of Legends specifies its minimum requirements as a 2GHz processor[1] while DotA requires a 2.8GHz Dual core Intel or AMD processor [2]. Having a shader 2.0 compatible graphics card (located in Intel's Integrated Graphics 3000 cards), vs. a dedicated graphics card requirement for DotA II would require one to pay more to have a computer that can effectively run DotA II. It may be a little bit more expensive to play DotA II, but having a dedicated graphics card as a minimum requirement looks to show some promise regarding an immersive and graphically sound experience.

c) What is "Summoner's Rift" (the popular 5v5 League of Legends map) based off of? The truth is, the popular map is based on the map from Defense of The Ancients, a modification for the popular Blizzard game Warcraft III. The League of Legends map is a simplified version of the Defense of the Ancients map, perhaps to appeal to a larger player base. While that proves favourable for your argument regarding player base, it definitely does not play in your favour when we consider "mechanics" as a framework.

2) You have stated that because of DotA's easier mechanics, it is not the better game in comparison to League of Legends. Based on your statement, we are making the following assumption:

Harder Mechanics = Better game

We can now work to analyze the mechanics of each game.

League of Legends and DotA both have the same play style. There are three lanes who take place in a laning phase with different heroes and champions, where they battle against their opponent hoping to win their lane, making a significant impact in later stages of the game when teams group up to battle together. The laning phase consists of last hitting minions or creeps, by dealing the killing blow to that minion for extra gold. This gold can be used to spend on items to increase your character's power in the late game.

However, the extra mechanic of "denying" creeps is present in DotA where it isn't present in League of Legends. This requires heroes to focus on preventing last hits from their opponent and securing last hits for themselves. It also requires the player to distinguish whether denying the creep or tower is better than securing another objective.

When you die in DotA II, your opponent receives gold and you lose some of yours. It forces every player to be more cautious and safe when they play. It also punishes you for your mistakes. If you make a careless play, you are hurting your teams chances of winning. In League of Legends, a death only means gold for your opponent while you maintain the same amount of gold prior to your death. This means that the late game in DotA II is harder to get to the more mistakes you make.

The legendary jungle camp, home to Roshan, is very different from Baron Nashor. Baron Nashor in League of Legends gives a buff to the team who deals the killing blow. All members of the team who were alive when Baron was slain will receive the buff. Roshan will only give Aegis of the Immortal to the one player who deals the killing blow, requiring the team to determine who is best fit for the buff.

League of Legends appeals to the more casual player who cannot focus on many things at once. The absence of denying creeps and towers, the "no death punishment" and the team wide buff from Legendary Monsters make the game a little bit easier to grasp and plan from the beginning.

DotA II is extremely competitive. Just recently, a tournament called The International III (http://www.dota2.com...) just finished taking place in August of this year in Seattle, Washington. The prize pool was $2.8 million this year with 932,000 viewers, "just short of League of Legends' 1.1 million concurrent viewer record". Remember, League of Legends has been out longer than DotA II (http://www.penny-arcade.com...). First place finishers from Sweden on Team Alliance had received $1.43m as their prize for winning TI3 (http://www.dota2.com...). I have done the research and the last League of Legends prize pool had only given $1m to the first place winner (SKT-T1 from Korea) (http://ca.ign.com...).

Based on the criteria given by my opponent that determines the relative excellence of a video game, it has been demonstrated that DotA does in fact excel in all of those categories. I apologize for the amount of time it has taken me to respond to this debate, but university is priority and I had to make sure I finished my school work before coming to this debate. I thank my opponent for participating in this debate and I look forward to hear from you soon.

1. https://support.leagueoflegends.com...-
2. http://store.steampowered.com...
Idea101

Pro

Idea101 forfeited this round.
Necrotius

Con

It is a shame to see my opponent forfeit this round.

Based on the arguments in round one, I urge you to vote con as DotA 2 has been demonstrated to be better than League of Legends.
Idea101

Pro

Idea101 forfeited this round.
Necrotius

Con

Necrotius forfeited this round.
Idea101

Pro

Idea101 forfeited this round.
Necrotius

Con

Necrotius forfeited this round.
Posted by markpoop 2 years ago
markpoop
Con clearly wins the debate. I enjoyed reading it, con had concrete argument while 101 had no specific points.
Just an extra side note I'm sure you're aware of anyways, T14 was 12 mil.
Posted by TG2333 3 years ago
TG2333
dota is better, besides LOL is a ripoff cause dota 1 came out on 2001 LOL more like LOL was release on 2009
Posted by Ignopius 3 years ago
Ignopius
I agree LOL is better Can't argue with you on that one!