imabench
Duncan

League of Legends team-building microdebate challenge

Started: 9/23/2015 Category: Games

imabench

Pro

Alright f*ckers here how this works. You are building your own team from League of Legends, and you will argue for why your champ selections for each position are better than my picks, which are listed below. (You may not pick the same champions for your team that I have selected for mine)

Top Lane Champ --- Garen
Mid Lane Champ --- Katarina
ADC Champ ---------- Ashe
Support Champ ----- Blitzcrank
Jungle Champ -------- Nunu

- In round 1 you will ONLY list the champions you choose for each of the 5 available positions.
- In round 2 you will ONLY mention the abilities of each champ and why that makes them the best at that position. You dont have to list ALL of them, just the ones you want to use in your arguments.
- After that, anything goes... You can defend your champ or criticize the opponents champ all you want,

BUT HERE'S THE CATCH:

The character limit for this debate is 2000 characters (otherwise this wouldn't be a microdebate) That means you will have less than 500 characters, per champion, each round, to defend your champ and/or criticize your opponents pick.

So, If you like really elaborating on your arguments, then THIS DEBATE IS NOT FOR YOU, unless you're really up for a challenge. Pick your arguments very carefully....

VOTING PARAMETERS:

Voters will NOT vote according to who they think argued successfully for the majority of their champions. If a voter believes one side won the debate on 3 of their chosen champion picks, but the other side won the debate on 2 of their champs, voters must vote 3-2 to reflect that. Not just vote all 3 points in favor of the winner.
Duncan

Con

Neat, a League debate!

Top lane: Darius (w/ Dunkmaster skin)
Mid Lane: Malzahar
ADC: Sivir (w/ warden skin)
Support: Alistar
Jungle: Shyvana (w/ championship skin)

See you next round.

Duncan
imabench

Pro

Top Lane Champ --- Garen

Garen does not rely on mana meaning that the only limit on his use of his abilities is the cooldown timer. His Ult does true Damage based on how much health the other champ is missing, meaning that any champ under 20% health who Garen Ults is guaranteed to be killed. His E also allows for easy lane clearing late game, making him a farming master

Mid Lane Champ --- Katarina

Katarina's abilities give her an edge against non-ranged champs, and her ult in close quarters team fights is absolutely lethal. If timed at the right moment, a Kat ult could easily produce a triple kill, quadra kill, or even a penta kill.

ADC Champ ---------- Ashe

Ashe is a ranged unit whose basic attacks applies a slowing effect to targeted champions, making it much easier for Ashe and her support to take out an injured champion trying to flee from battle. Hey ult also freezes fleeing champs in their place which is not the case for many other adc champs, making her difficult to flee from once targeted by her

Support Champ ----- Blitzcrank

Blitzcranks Pull ability is a powerful ability that when combined with a nearby ADC almost guarantees that an enemy champ loses half of their health if they are grabbed by Blitzcrank during the early game. In late game when both teams are very close to each other, Blitz's ability allows a team to pick off an enemy champion without having to force a teamfight and risk losing one of their own in the process, turning a potential 5v5 down to a 4v5 if the right champ is targeted

Jungle Champ -------- Nunu

Nunu's Q does 300 damage to minions/monsters and restores his own health by 100 from the beginning. Combined with the smite ability that all junglers select, this gives Nunu an edge in jungling early on since he can rack up kills and level up much faster than other jungling champs.
Duncan

Con

Darius:

Darius excels at both laning and teamfighting. In lane, he's a bully who forces his opponent out of lane and denying them farm through his harassment potential as well as sustaining using his heal. This Q allows his to both negate enemy healing while healing himself, and in teamfights, he's a tanky fighter who can switch between targets as his ult resets on kill, making him perfect pentakill material.

Malzahar:

If there's one thing the Void Prophet knows, it's space aids. On the side though, his AOE silence combined with his limitless mana allows him to harass constantly while staying safe from attacks himself. His ult is the show stopper of course, granting him a guaranteed kill on a squishy target thanks. Sustained harass in laning, shutdown AOE in teamfights.

Sivir:

Sivir's the go-to safe pick as an ADC, with easy harass and hard engage, she can poke and harass from safety and then go in for the kill when her enemy stays too long. Her spell shield allows her to resist cc and hooks, meaning she's highly resistant to enemy dives and ganks. Either they lose their farm, or they lose their lives, Sivir takes after her ancestor Azir with poke and hard engage in one.

Support: Alistar

Alistar is the pulveriser of bot lane. Immense CC and tankiness to boot, he's a brick in bot lane and a brick in teamfights. Easily changing the positioning of a teamfight then roaming Unbreakable while the team gets sent flying apart for easy picks. With Sivir's ult, they're a death sentence, rushing the enemy and then smashing them before they can react.

Jungle: Shyvana

Shyvana has a place in my heart as my very first champion. Pulled a Hermione by way of Devourer, turning from cute pick into a bombshell that destroys the enemy team. You may notice that all my champions feature both sustain and safe harass. This makes them hard to gank, and they don't require ganks, letting her sate Devourer easily and destroy at 25 minutes using high attacks and hard engage.

-Duncan
imabench

Pro

Top: Garen vs Darius

Garen's ult on opponents is based on true damage (meaning it ignores magic resist and armor) AND also based on how much health the target is already missing. Darius's ult on the other hand does NOT do true damage, and his ult is based off of how many times Darius has already struck the target. This means that Darius would have already had to attack his target several times to exploit the full power of his ult, but Garen does not have to. Garens ult > Darius's ult, so Garen > Darius

Mid: Katarina vs Malzahar

While Malzahar's ult can do considerable damage to 'squishy tanks', it is an ult that can only target a single champion. Katarina's ult on the other hand does damage to ANY champion unfortunate enough to be close by to her when her ult is triggered. This by extension makes her far deadlier in late game team fights than Malzahar, meaning that she is the better Mid lane champion.

ADC: Ashe vs Sivir

Sivir's ult doesnt actually do damage, it merely boosts the speed of allied champions nearby. Sivir relies entirely on her Q to do damage to enemy champs, but Ashe's ult can inflict heavy damage and freeze them in place, making her the better champ, since Ashe can actually do damage with her ult.

Support: Blitzcrank vs Alistar

Alistar can knock enemy champs backwards, but that means he would have to get behind an enemy champion and knock them back to his own team for his team to take out that champion, which simply cant be done when champs are grouped up in team fights. Blitzcrank can pull a champ from substantial range to his team and finish them off, which is far more practical in team fights

Jungle: Nunu vs Shyvana

Shyvana cant do as much damage to monsters as Nunu can early game because of Nunu's Q, and Nunu has several abilities that can slow enemy champions down whereas Shyvana does not. This means when Nunu ganks a lane, he can slow the fleeing champions down and increase the odds of them getting killed, which is a quality that shyvana lacks.
Duncan

Con

Duncan forfeited this round.
imabench

Pro

I guess I extend all arguments. Vote Pro
Duncan

Con

I'm sorry for missing the previous round: thought I'd have enough time but between assignments, readings and actual League of Legends, I forgot this was a micro-debate (ie: a 24 hour limit as opposed to 72). I done goofed, and I'm sorry for that. While my post for the previous round is in the comments, you're free to ignore it if you consider my absence unforgivable. I enjoyed this debate regardless, and I'd be happy to have further debates like this in future.

Also , if anyone is on the EU server, you can find me under the username SharkyTheShark. Until then, I'd like to thank Imabence for this debate, and hopefully I'll see you all in the next debate. Good luck in the Fields of Justice!

-Duncan
Posted by imabench 1 year ago
imabench
Voters arent going to weigh any arguments done in the comments section, but now you cant bring up new arguments since its the last round of the debate and you cant introduce new arguments in the final round so we've hit a conundrum.

Here, just post in your last round to ask voters to vote a tie the debate.
Posted by Duncan 1 year ago
Duncan
Post it here: there's a 2000 character limit anyway.
Posted by Duncan 1 year ago
Duncan
Oops, typo: in Shyvana's paragraph, she makes up for *it with* insance damage later. Apologies for that. And apologies again for missing the round time, I'll not make a habit of it.
Posted by imabench 1 year ago
imabench
Sh** i JUST posted the final round >.>
Posted by Duncan 1 year ago
Duncan
Sorry about missing the last round. Got caught playing LoL as a matter of fact. Still 2000 characters, so here's my response anyway. Hope you forgive.

Darius's Ult deals more damage to targets he's already fighting, and his W and E keep his enemies are abilities which let him keep up with enemies easily. Garen's Ult may seem better in theory, but the fact that Darius can use his ult again if it kills the target gives him much more power out of it.

Katarina's Ult won't be effective in this matchup since Malzahar is a very tanky mid laner thanks to his Rod of Ages. If she Ults, he can ult right back to cancel hers and 100 to 0 her with ease. His Q silence and W pool make him much more important in teamfights than a nuke who only works if fed sufficiently.

Ashe's Ult scales with AP actually, its damage is minimal. The reason Sivir's ult is more effective is because it fits the hard engage teamcomp I've set up. If my team wants a fight,they have it, and initiation gives them a great advantage. Before that, Sivir doesn't even need her ult to beat Ashe since she can harass her to low health with ease from her Q and bouncing discs.

Blitzcrank's hook is on a high cooldown for most of the game, has high mana costs for most of the game, and won't be able to snag Sivir thanks to her spell shield. Everyone else on the team has tank starts, and thanks to the hard engage formula, will be rushing in to back up the tank you hooked. Alistar is the tankiest of tanks with his ult, and he when doesn't need to knock enemies into his allies, he can always knock way Garen while the team kills the squishies instead.

Nunu is a control jungler and Shyvana is a farm jungler. That means while she has poorer ganks in earlier game, she makes up for in the insane damage later. Besides, stalker's blade and bilgewater cutlass (items she buys) both feature an active ability with a slow until then. Her W lets her chase and her other abilities hep her tanky while she outscales him.

-
Posted by imabench 1 year ago
imabench
Duncan, dude, you were supposed to list a couple abilities for each champ you selected.... You only did that for two of them
Posted by Zaradi 1 year ago
Zaradi
For the sake of fairness I'm not going to accept this :P
Posted by UtherPenguin 1 year ago
UtherPenguin
Ryze is unarguably the best ADC. I'd put Sona as a Jungler and Tryndamere as mage.
Posted by lol101 1 year ago
lol101
My profile picture could rek em all.