BenH22
Truston609

Learning about other religions at school is a waste of time

BenH22

Con

I think that multiple religions should be taught at school because if they are not then a student's religion is decided by their parents and peoples opinions. If different religions were taught at school then a student would choose the religion that matched their beliefs. A student may have been taught by their parents to believe in a certain religion and that students parents may have been taught the same thing by their parents. Teaching religion at schools means that the student chooses for them self what to believe in. it is only right because it is giving them the chance to choose what they believe, not what their parents and everybody around them believes. I do think that going into too much detail would be a waste of time though.
Truston609

Pro

I guess it is a waste of time as we may not believers of the opposing religion(s), like really why should we learn from their religion, for us to follow? No definitely not. We must abolish it so that religious conflict will not rise, which will eventually lead to racial riots when we are continue to be influenced by such things. Plus, some of the religion's cultures are sometimes ridiculous, such as the Indian's who are mainly using their right hand, but what about the left handers? Is the left hand considered unhygienic, in a cultural perspective, it is true, but in a scientific perspective, it is not true unless it is really contaminated with bacteria. People will have to adhere them. It is truly a waste of time learning this, don't you think, even though we must respect them sometimes, I do not mean to be racist here.
BenH22

Con

I don't see anything wrong about giving a student a chance to follow what they actually believe in. If somebody has no idea of the belief's of another religion, how can they possibly be part of it. I am not saying schools should have RE lessons anymore than they do, but if they taught a variety of religions rather than going into unnecessary detail about one religion that only half the class believes in, it would be more educational and useful. You mentioned that teaching multiple religions would cause conflict. I struggle to see how teaching only one religion would be less discriminating, let alone cause less conflict. I believe that teaching multiple religions would provide a chance for young people to follow their beliefs, cause less conflict and give a chance for students of other religions to learn more about their traditions, beliefs and expectations.
Truston609

Pro

Truston609 forfeited this round.
BenH22

Con

BenH22 forfeited this round.
Truston609

Pro

As you may not see that how teaching multiple religions may have less chances of discriminating others, then you do not know there is something called cross-cultural misunderstanding. This is very common as a person's religion is different from yours, and therefore you may unintentionally discriminate or violate someone's "religion rules". So I think this can be prevented by stopping the course now.