questionmark
SaintNick

Leave our troops in Iraq

SaintNick

questionmark

Pro

First off, thank you to my opponent for acepting this debate, I look forward to debating this topic. Second, notice that I am talking about whether we should leave our troops in Iraq. I'm not going to debate whether or not the war itself is wrong, whose fault it is, etc. I am here to debate whether or not we should pull all of our troops out of Iraq at once. The first round goes to the contender.
SaintNick

Con

Some clarifications -

I'm assuming that my opponent meant for "our" troops to refer to American troops. However, I believe that "our" troops should also refer to the troops of American Allies, including Britain, South Korea, Poland, etc. [http://uspolitics.about.com...].

Additionally, I noticed that the resolution doesn't specify any kind of time limit for troop withdrawal. I must assume that Pro wishes to leave the troops in Iraq forever. I can use this premise while making my argument.

My points -

1. I do not believe that U.S. and other outside troops should remain in Iraq forever. In that case, Iraq would just be an extension of a U.S. agenda, as they would be our military bitches, so to speak. Iraq has never been our ally and we haven't had bases or any type of control there before. So why should George W. be able to make false claims about them, and then break all rules of the United Nations by sending troops without proper authority into Iraq to remain there permanently?

2. The U.S. has been saying all along that this has been a strategic move to not only help the Iraqi citizens (namely women), but to keep the U.S. safe. For one thing, we don't know if the people of Iraq want this "help" or not. And for another, it's not fair to use possible terrorist threats from one particular country as a reason to invade their land with our military. In that case, we'd have to police the entire world, for every country has the ability to have some fanatical religious group willing to harm U.S. citizens... including the U.S. I mean, we're not putting troops in EVERY Muslim country, are we?! And if we WERE to do that, that would make the U.S. xenophobic jerks. So basically targeting Iraq is blatant discrimination, especially after they've been proven to pose no threat (via nukes) after intense military investigation. The refusal by the U.S. to leave is absurd, and a slap in the face to the rest of the world (U.N.).

3. The U.S. and our allies who have troops stationed in Iraq are being seen as bullies and have lost a great amount of respect in the world. This has been reflected culturally and in world markets.

4. It is not economically sound for the U.S. and other indebted countries to keep spending trillions of dollars on a war that many citizens and experts see as "pointless." Of course just because something is expensive doesn't make it immoral automatically. But in this case, the cons outweigh the pros of leaving the troops in Iraq. More people are dying, more tax dollars are being spent by citizens who as a majority do NOT support the war (meaning our taxes are being exploited against our will, which is also immorally sound), etc. Money can be spent SAVING lives by investing in medicine, research technology, being donated to charities or other good causes, or helping the people of Iraq establish a better government via education and other resources. Killing people and exploiting them with military prowess is immoral... and expensive.

5. If the U.S. is trying to "ensure that there is a stable environment/military" in Iraq before they leave, why not just pull out all at once? Why leave some troops behind and waste unnecessary resources and lives for an infinite period of time? I say once the "task", whatever that is, is accomplished, brings the troops home!
questionmark

Pro

questionmark forfeited this round.
SaintNick

Con

Pro did not post a response, so please extend my arguments.
questionmark

Pro

questionmark forfeited this round.
SaintNick

Con

Once again, please extend all of my arguments.
Posted by wjmelements 7 years ago
wjmelements
I defaulted CON due to forfeits and a lack of a case for PRO.
Posted by SaintNick 7 years ago
SaintNick
thank you the Lwerd I took some of those points into consideration.
Posted by Danielle 7 years ago
Danielle
The resolution is unclear.

"I am here to debate whether or not we should pull all of our troops out of Iraq at once." -- Pro

The "at once" should have probably been included in the resolution.

Also, some people may be in favor of drastically down-sizing the amount of troops over in Iraq - like a hell of a lot - which wasn't really addressed in R1. Nor was the possibility or position of one who believes in troops starting to pull out of Iraq gradually over time.

Like some people have mentioned, this debate can be turned into a semantics argument in several ways. One could say that you are in favor of leaving U.S. troops in Iraq FOREVER, as you did not discount that possibility in R1.

So yea, this has been a shoddy first round. I'm only saying this as constructive criticism, of course ; )
Posted by questionmark 7 years ago
questionmark
unamerican!
Posted by wjmelements 7 years ago
wjmelements
Or just abandoning them.
Posted by I-am-a-panda 7 years ago
I-am-a-panda
True, because if I wanted, I could turn it around that you must be in favour of dumping the troops in Iraq with no leadership or supervision ;)!
Posted by questionmark 7 years ago
questionmark
id rather you didnt
Posted by wjmelements 7 years ago
wjmelements
We could semantics this one...
Posted by questionmark 7 years ago
questionmark
But we already started it, so we shouldn't leave a job half finished.
Posted by I-am-a-panda 7 years ago
I-am-a-panda
I Guess the road to take is to simply say it is the fight of the Iraqi's, not of the Americans.
Vote Placed by mongeese 7 years ago
mongeese
questionmarkSaintNickTied
Vote Placed by wjmelements 7 years ago
wjmelements
questionmarkSaintNickTied
Vote Placed by questionmark 7 years ago
questionmark
questionmarkSaintNickTied
Vote Placed by SaintNick 7 years ago
SaintNick
questionmarkSaintNickTied