james94
spoon171

Legal Age Of Consent For Sex.

Con Tied Pro

james94

Con

I feel that the legal age for consent should be 18 or over .Due to the fact that someone under the age of 18 cannot make the responsible decision to say yes to sex or anything else pertaining to that.
spoon171

Pro

You do not have much of a warrant to your argument. Studies have shown that minors mature differently, and it is impossible to make the claim that anyone under the age of 18 is not responsible to do anything. I know many people under the age of 18 who have a greater sense of maturity or responsibility than people in their 30's, so why target the youth for being "irresponsible"? I also wonder what the punishment would be for minors having sex with each other under the age of 18? Do you charge them with statutory rape? There is little legal basis for your argument.

This also begs the question of proof? How can you prove that anyone under the age of 18 is having sex? Only those who got caught would be punished. What would happen, would parents have to test their children for unfamiliar DNA to see if they are having sex or not? This could increase paranoia and hurt familial relations.

I believe raising the age would only result in more minors having sex, which may seem to make things worse in your eyes. This is empirically proven when both the age to drink and smoke have been raised. These ages go up, and more minors engage in these activities to rebel. And if minors are not responsible enough to say yes to sex, whats next? Do we take their ability to drive away? Maybe they are not responsible enough to drive, because that could threaten lives of others.

Its not maturity or responsibility that is the problem, its education. We tell our children that you shouldnt have sex until they are married, nothing but abstinence is preeched to the youth. I believe a better form of education that assists those who do wish to engage in sex would have numerous benefits, because they would know how to have safer sex, which would alleviate some of the "mistakes" or "problems" that come from sex.
james94

Con

I am only stating that teenagers under 18 cannot consent legally to having sex . Not being irresponsible that is a statistical fact. Also I am saying that anyone 18 or over having sex with a person under 18 should be charged with a misdemeanor.

Although you might disagree with what I am saying look up the law , it will tell you that people 17 and under cannot consent to sex with people that are adults. Adults make this decision not minors. Minors cannot by rights make grown up choices.

I also find that the decent thing to do when it comes to minors 17 or younger is to wait until they are of a mature and legal age to consent to sex.

Statutory Rape is when a minor cannot consent to having sex with someone over 18. In most states that is true. But if you do not believe me look up the law in your local Law Library. There you will find 6 or more volumes of laws on this subject.

Here is an example of what I am trying to explain. A teacher who is supposed to be trusted approaches a student and has a sexual relationship with that student. That student being 15 should report the teacher to someone who can make an adult decision.

Here is another example a 15 year old girl goes to a friend of her mothers for dinner , she later in the night goes to the front of the house where she is approached by the host who is much older than she is he than takes her to see the pool and there tries to take what is not his. This is just why I find that minors cannot make those kind of choices.In context I find that unless you are 18 or over you are not at the legal age to consent to sex.
spoon171

Pro

First of all, you have conceeded two arguments that I make above that I believe help amplify my arguments, they were:

"This also begs the question of proof? How can you prove that anyone under the age of 18 is having sex? Only those who got caught would be punished. What would happen, would parents have to test their children for unfamiliar DNA to see if they are having sex or not? This could increase paranoia and hurt familial relations."

This argument helps show that it is pointless to raise the age, because it is hard to prove who is having sex. I am sure there are thousands of cases of unreported sex crimes that deal with the age of concent. Also, you do not answer my familial relations argument, which means you could make things more tenuous with families.

Secondly,
"I believe raising the age would only result in more minors having sex, which may seem to make things worse in your eyes. This is empirically proven when both the age to drink and smoke have been raised. These ages go up, and more minors engage in these activities to rebel. And if minors are not responsible enough to say yes to sex, whats next? Do we take their ability to drive away? Maybe they are not responsible enough to drive, because that could threaten lives of others."

You say statistically minors are irresponsible, but there is no warrant to that, it is impossible to use statistics to evaluate someones psychological condition using a subjective means of evaluating maturity. Also, theories of risk homeostasis and the examples I used above prove that when raising an age or making an activity harder to access people are more likely to partake, which means you still run the risk of increasing sex.

Now, I will answer your arguments. You basically spend your last post clarifying what you want to do, and giving me a lesson in sex law, however you never make an argument. I would agree that 15 year olds having sex with an adult may be problematic, but what happens to someone who is 18 and someone who is almost 18 who has sex? According to your interpretation taht would be statutory rape because one is of consentual age and the other is not. I believe this is a ludicrous distinction, because as soon as you turn 18 the maturity gene doesnt magically turn on in your head, you can be more mature at a young age, which is another one of my arguments that you conceede.

Finally, you concede my alternate solution, the way to help minors "mature" is through education. Your solution of rasing the age is merely a constructed straw man trying to divert education away from the real issue. I will remind you of what I said before:

We tell our children that you shouldnt have sex until they are married, nothing but abstinence is preeched to the youth. I believe a better form of education that assists those who do wish to engage in sex would have numerous benefits, because they would know how to have safer sex, which would alleviate some of the "mistakes" or "problems" that come from sex."

Only allowing for more education would help minors mature and make better decisions. I believe the voters should prefer my arguments because I have actually decided to engage your statements, and you spent the last post merely discussing what statutory rape is. I believe that your solution is problematic and uses something that is impossible to assess...maturity. It is for these reasons I believe that I am correct.
james94

Con

Statistically speaking people live what they learn . So if that is true minors will learn that they can say yes to sex at 12 or older. Education has nothing to do with this debate, consent does.

If you are so into education look up the laws in your state .We are not debating education we are debating the Legal Age of Consent to sex and other things.

Although you may not understand what I am trying to reiterate is that anyone under 18 cannot legally consent to sex. on the issue of decency I am just trying to say that the right thing to do is wait until the minor is at least 18 years old and can legally consent to having sex.

On the issue of familial relations, Parents should educate teenagers and minors in the household about sex and that they should listen to them, because the parents are more mature and wiser than the minors.

It is a statistical fact that studies show that many teens find themselves in precarious situations that ruin their lives. Due to that fact we should keep teens and minors out of situations where they feel that they have to say yes to sex at such a young age. This is not something that a 12 or 13 year old can do at that time. I find that it is the responsibility of the parents to keep their young people out of harms way. I think that the responsibility shouldstem from the parents and caregivers not the minor children. In response to your statement about rebellion , children tend to do so to get adults attention.
spoon171

Pro

Every time I check to see if you have updated your arguments, it makes me want to run my head into the wall because you have barely made a single argument. You have told me a billion times to open a book about law to see the truth in your arguments, however I think you should heed your own advice. Every time you make an example of how horrible it is for a minor to engage in a sexual act you talk about someone being 12 or 13. Raising the age of consent does not really not change anything for those who are 12 or 13 because the minimum age of consent is 16 in most states in the US anyway. What I am trying to say is that IT IS ILLEGAL FOR 12 YEAR OLDS TO HAVE SEX WITH ADULTS NOW ANYWAY which again means it is pointless to raise the age. Here is the website that has the age for every state in the US (http://www.actwin.com...)

You have also conceeded my main argument that raising concent laws have repricussions for more than those who are adults having sex with pre-teens. In my last post I said: "but what happens to someone who is 18 and someone who is almost 18 who has sex? According to your interpretation taht would be statutory rape because one is of consentual age and the other is not. I believe this is a ludicrous distinction, because as soon as you turn 18 the maturity gene doesnt magically turn on in your head, you can be more mature at a young age, which is another one of my arguments that you conceede." This conceeded argument hurts you in two ways. First, it shows that there is little difference in maturity between 17 and 18 year olds which is who the law would effect the most.

Next, you spend more time simply stating that this is not a debate about education that it is about the legal age of concent. However you conceed how I link the two arguments together. Again, for the third post in a row, the conceeded link between the two is your idea of "maturity or responsibility." You also conceed the clarification in my last post, that " Your solution of rasing the age is merely a constructed straw man trying to divert education away from the real issue. I will remind you of what I said before:

Finally, you say parents should educate their children. This is something I agree with you 100% However, it will never happen. The education should be in the home argument is something that has put sex education efforts back considerably. I believe educating the minors makes them more mature. The final concession I will cut and paste from above highlights your rebellion argument. You say kids will rebel, which is a stupid statement to make on your side of the debate. You have conceeded from both of my posts that raising the age means more minors will engage in the process. Here is the logic behind that:

""I believe raising the age would only result in more minors having sex, which may seem to make things worse in your eyes. This is empirically proven when both the age to drink and smoke have been raised. These ages go up, and more minors engage in these activities to rebel. And if minors are not responsible enough to say yes to sex, whats next? Do we take their ability to drive away? Maybe they are not responsible enough to drive, because that could threaten lives of others."

You say statistically minors are irresponsible, but there is no warrant to that, it is impossible to use statistics to evaluate someones psychological condition using a subjective means of evaluating maturity. Also, theories of risk homeostasis and the examples I used above prove that when raising an age or making an activity harder to access people are more likely to partake, which means you still run the risk of increasing sex."

You say that it will happen because they want attention from adults, however it is because they want to engage in a risky behavior, much like you say I should open a book on law, you should look into theories of psychology and sociology and look at risk homeostasis.

In the end, I believe you have hardly answered any of my arguments, and you use a means test "maturity" which is subjective and impossible to measure responsibility, whcih is an impossible standard. It is for the reasons I state above, and the lack of you really answering my arguments that I should win.
Posted by Prashant 7 years ago
Prashant
Argument like that how parents will come to know that children have sex or not? It really does not justify what is wrong or what is right. It is possible with drugs, murder etc. And its true that how in at 17 and 364 days old you cant make a single decision about sex...but the next day when you wake up you are way smarter. There are many examples when a 14 year old child is mature then a adult. But it is about to set the age of a adult which is required when one is going to write a constitution. And that age has decided according to majority of cases and biological concerns.

Experience and Understanding of a child is defiantly is less then a person (in most of cases) who is older then that. In this situation it is really tough to understand a child that the person is using child just for his/her sexual will.

Defiantly in such cases after some period relationship be a failure. For adult who was searching for a young sex partner its easy and enjoyable period. But such things can leads to lifetime mental problem, weaker trust between genders, a weak social structure. There are many thing which exist even after setting law. But law is just an effort to provide barrier for such things. And it also a medium to tell that what should be or not. And equipment for those are working for design for a better civilization.
Posted by BarbieGirl 9 years ago
BarbieGirl
In countries where there is a lower age of consent,there are lower percentages of Underage pregnancy,abortion and STIs
Posted by policydebategod 9 years ago
policydebategod
good point cjet79. this dumb thing makes it have to be 25 characters and all i wanted to say was "good point cjet79". why are you controlling my speech phil? leave me the hell alone.
Posted by spoon171 9 years ago
spoon171
sorry I beat you to the punch hattopic
Posted by cjet79 9 years ago
cjet79
yeah cuz when you 17 and 364 days old you cant make a single decision about sex...but the next day when you wake up you are way smarter.
Posted by hattopic 9 years ago
hattopic
If only I'd seen this topic in its challenge state
Vote Placed by PsyPhiGuy 7 years ago
PsyPhiGuy
james94spoon171Tied
Vote Placed by blond_guy 9 years ago
blond_guy
james94spoon171Tied
Vote Placed by nene_cinci 9 years ago
nene_cinci
james94spoon171Tied
Vote Placed by Fimbulvintr 9 years ago
Fimbulvintr
james94spoon171Tied
Vote Placed by BarbieGirl 9 years ago
BarbieGirl
james94spoon171Tied
Vote Placed by ryanqq 9 years ago
ryanqq
james94spoon171Tied
Vote Placed by anaxagoras 9 years ago
anaxagoras
james94spoon171Tied
Vote Placed by hamletswords 9 years ago
hamletswords
james94spoon171Tied
Vote Placed by james94 9 years ago
james94
james94spoon171Tied
Vote Placed by FreakyGothGirl6 9 years ago
FreakyGothGirl6
james94spoon171Tied