Debate Rounds (5)
Keep in mind: Marijuana is considered a dangerous drug.
Common arguments against marijuana legalization.
1. Child accessibility
2. Depleted motivation and intelligence
3. Easily abused
4. Harmful to body
5. The Grateful Dead ;)
1. Prohibition of marijuana does not prevent children from gaining access. In fact kids have easier access to weed than alcohol. Think about it, a drug dealer makes tons of un-taxed moolah off of children every day. If marijuana were made legal it would cut down on black market activity and their sources would, in some cases, be limited to adults contributing to minors. If some kid asked me to purchase weed at a store I would tell him to take a flying leap. Especially since I am not making any money... and I have dignity and morals! Where as a drug dealer might not feel the same.. Cha Ching!
2. This is tough to argue because it is different from case to case. I'm expecting some stereotyping from my opponent but.. Hey! We have all been there! Now I can say confidently that sometimes, people need to stop thinking motivation is of supreme importance.. I know what your thinking "if everyone is getting high nothing will get done" First off that is a paranoid theory that is easily squashed by the millions of stoned construction workers and cooks! Second: motivation can be a very bad thing (terrorists and human traffickers are extremely motivated!) Haven't you wanted to scream to the world "STOP everything you are doing you sociopathic retards!" Well I can elaborate more on this later if I get a response!
3. Define abused.. I'm kidding, I get it marijuana abuse is definitely not a good thing.. I must say it is almost as bad as sugar, caffeine, nicotine, alcohol, sodium... dot dot dot (That was a redundancy joke) You see, why did marijuana become the black sheep even though it will probably be the only thing I have listed that wont kill you! How and WHY did they pick THAT battle instead? Something to do with corporate profits I imagine! You know like DuPont! Anyways I will stay away from conspiracy!
4.O.K. this kind of goes hand in hand with #3. I only have one thing to say: Whatever happened to discipline and parenting! Why create a billion dollar war just so parents don't have to look after their kids and everyone can forget about discipline because it is too hard :(
5. I will finish by saying, just because you don't like something (the grateful dead) doesn't mean that you should keep others from enjoying it!!
So give it a shot. If you can deal with my awesome and powerful brain. Debate Sucka!
1 Your problem solving/logic can become mildly impaired
2 Permanent short term memory loss.
3 Risk of addiction which could cause serious financial troubles for a kid
I'm Glad you asked:
Medicinally the benefits are remarkable. Many pharmaceutical companies make billions of dollars on medications that have far worse side effects than cannabis. So If you live in one of the 30 states that does not allow medical marijuana many patients are forced to take horrible drugs that do not even work! Marijuana does the job with far less serious side effects. It may vary from case to case but. It has been proved a billion times over, I really don't want to say much else on this subject because prohibiting medical marijuana is a crime in and of itself and we are debating legalized recreational use.
From a personal experience marijuana is not something that you can abuse and truly enjoy the benefits. When I first decided (after years of peer pressure) on my own to experience the wonderful effects of THC. It not only helped me out of my angst driven depression but more importantly I COULD SLEEP! After being an insomniac for 2 years literally wanting to bash my head against the wall to hopefully knock myself out (I never actually did it because I was not too confident that it was a good idea) I tried every sleep medication and herbal crap I could find. I was desperate so I gave in when someone told me to try marijuana to help me sleep. Finally found it and my life changed for the better in a very obvious way. People always commented on my smile and personality almost as if I had come out of the shadows! It completely changed my state of mind. So I owe a lot to the "drug". I did discover that with abuse comes punishment. So anytime I am smoking too much I cant sleep. So it is about discipline and rationality for me (not something even the government has control over) I'm not going to recommend you trying it until you are an adult. Believe me I was a straight edge dude until my twenties and boy was I happy I waited! I'm not really expecting this personal information to help win this debate. I just thought it would be an interesting way to answer your question. I do know it varies from person to person. Some say it cures migraines some say it causes them. Just don't let others decide for you, that is pretty much the only source of "free will" you are ever going to experience! Ask people with ADD if they should take Ritalin or pot brownie to help them to focus and be absorbed into something, because it may be the only way for them to thrive!
WyattGOP forfeited this round.
WyattGOP forfeited this round.
1 votes has been placed for this debate.
Vote Placed by Iamthejuan 3 years ago
|Agreed with before the debate:||-||-||0 points|
|Agreed with after the debate:||-||-||0 points|
|Who had better conduct:||-||-||1 point|
|Had better spelling and grammar:||-||-||1 point|
|Made more convincing arguments:||-||-||3 points|
|Used the most reliable sources:||-||-||2 points|
|Total points awarded:||7||0|
Reasons for voting decision: Con failed on so many levels. It was a rigged debate to begin with as all marinara myths have been Scientifically debunked. Weed doesn't harm a developing brain; jail does.
You are not eligible to vote on this debate
This debate has been configured to only allow voters who meet the requirements set by the debaters. This debate either has an Elo score requirement or is to be voted on by a select panel of judges.