Sandra888
Nasser

Legalisation of Prostitution

Sandra888

Pro

First round is acceptance, no new arguments in the last round.

The full resolution is: Prostitution should be legal across the U.S.

BoP is obviously on Pro (me)
Nasser

Con

Sandra888

Pro

Firstly, I am not advocating for prostitution. It is, unambiguously, terrible. I am just arguing for its legalization.

1. Prostitution is going to happen anyway. In Chicago in 2003 (prostitution is illegal in Chicago), there were at least 1800 prostitutes [1], a number that has surely increased in the last 12 years. A common argument against prostitution being legalized is that it would increase numbers of prostitutes. Well, there are many prostitutes anyway, and it has been shown that legalizing prostitution does not increase the numbers of prostitutes[2]

2. Legalising prostitution decreases STDs. If prostitution remains illegal, STDs will be transmitted more than if it is legal. In Atlanta, 12% of prostitutes are HIV positive, obviously a stupidly dangerous situation for both customers and sex-workers. This is because there is obviously no regulation there, as prostitution is illegal. With regulation, prostitution would be a lot less dangerous than it is today. Do brothels comply with this regulation? According to a 1998 study of Nevada's prostitutes in legal brothels, yes [3]. Condoms were used and STDs were absent. Clearly this is a very good outcome, and could be replicated. The previously cited NZ study also proves that legal prostitutes have safer working conditions and use condoms [1]

3. Prostitution is a victimless crime. Yes, I know I did cite an article saying called Prostitution: Not a Victimless Career Choice. I obviously don't agree with that article, and cited it for its facts, not its viewpoint.

Back on topic, prostitution is fully consensual. Both parties agree to having the sex. The prostitute agrees to have sex with you, and inhibiting that seems to be a violation of liberty. If prostitution is illegal, then a consensual act that doesn't harm (in theory) either party or anyone else, is a criminal act. This is ridiculous. How can something harmless, victimless and consensual be illegal. It just makes no sense, and seems to me like a terrible situation.

4. Legal prostitutes report crimes against them. It is true that prostitutes are abused by clients. They are often treated terribly by everybody! The solution is not to ban prostitution. The solution is actually legalisation. Think about it. If you were a prostitute, and prostitution was illegal, you wouldn't report crimes against you to the police. You'd fear arrest! If you were a prostitute and prostitution was legal, you could report it with no fear and would report the crime. The report that I am obviously quite fond of, [1], proves that legal prostitutes report crimes against them, meaning that legalisation of prostitution brings beaters to justice and increases safety for sex workers.

Sorry for being so brief, this is just what I do in general. Despite the smallness of my argument, I believe I have proven prostitution should be legalised.

[1]http://www.rapeis.org...
[2]http://en.wikipedia.org...
(sorry about the Wikipedia, the actual source is the pdf linked to in the footnote
[3]http://ajph.aphapublications.org...;
Nasser

Con

Nasser forfeited this round.
Sandra888

Pro

Is one debate without a forfeit too much to ask!?
Nasser

Con

Nasser forfeited this round.
Sandra888

Pro

Sandra888 forfeited this round.
Nasser

Con

Nasser forfeited this round.