OneOpinion123
arch1ve

Legalisation of cannabis in the USA

OneOpinion123

Pro

I have decided to make this debate because I believe that legalisation of cannabis is a step closer to a crime free USA. This might sound strange, but the thing is that selling cannabis is one ot the biggest sources of income for criminal gangs like the Hells Angels, and so on. By selling cannabis from drugstores instead of via gang members selling it from the streets ve wil take the economic foundation away from these gangs, and by that reduce the crime rate in the USA. This wil also make us able to regulate how mutch the marijuana users take and by that offer them help if they have a problem.

P.S. I would like to note that there should be an age limit of 25 years.
P.P.S I have never smoked marijuana, or taken it in any other way.
arch1ve

Con

Legalising Any kind of harmful drug is wrong, I don't think cannabis should be legalised due to the fact that it has a harmful affect to the body you could argue that the same could be said for alcohol but alcohol damages the body only over a long period of use on the other hand cannabis can Be irritant to the lungs, and frequent cannabis smokers can have many of the same respiratory problems experienced by tobacco smokers, such as daily cough and phlegm production, more frequent acute chest illness, and a heightened risk of lung infections. One study found that people who smoke cannabis frequently but do not smoke tobacco have more health problems and miss more days of work than those who don"t smoke cannabis, mainly because of respiratory illnesses. It is not yet known whether cannabis smoking contributes to risk for lung cancer. Sources:drugtacts.gov
OneOpinion123

Pro

Just so that we are clear about what we are debating: I am not going to go into the pros and cons of cannabis, because then it is just going to turn into an argument about whether cannabis is a good or bad thing. The subject I want to talk about is whether it should be legalised based on the type of society the USA is, and what benifits and consequenses the possible legalisation og canabis may have on our society. Of course you can use the effects cannabis has on people and so on, as an argument, but it is not the essence of the debate.

In my previous argument I based the possible transformation of cannabis into a legal drug on the fact that it will reduce the crime rates as it is now being sold in the streets by gang members and so on. However, I also base this on the fact that cannabis is acceptable in many both high and low income groups, so if people want to smoke weed, they will to do it anyway, whether it is illegal or not.

I am not going to argue against your arguments because they are under the category I mentioned earlier and they are probably true. However, I don't see how it will affect the American population's overall medical condition because of the thing I wrote about cannabis being socially acceptable. I am sorry if I have not made it clear enough in my first argument.
arch1ve

Con

arch1ve forfeited this round.
OneOpinion123

Pro

OneOpinion123 forfeited this round.
arch1ve

Con

arch1ve forfeited this round.
Posted by footballchris561 2 years ago
footballchris561
I fear that it seems that you did not take the time to read the source provided or you did not even read your own as both of our sources are almost identical in their provided information. Read my comment again and you will see that I never claimed marijuana consumption causes mental illness. The 2 sources you have also provided seem to support my claim that mental illness including anxiety, depression, and psychosis are linked. You have also failed to provide any sources that support you claims of marijuana consumption slowing cancer, slowing Alzheimer, or any other of the claims that I pointed out that are wrong.
Posted by BrokenBlood 2 years ago
BrokenBlood
"It does not help with any of the other things you say though. It helps reduce pain in cancer, arthritis, and other things. It is not even linked to helping anything else besides pain and glaucoma. It is also effective as a sleep medication."

And yes it does help.
The proof is there(much beyond websites) you just gotta look at credible weed sources and even doctors and patients, and scientists. Definitely not a .gov site.
Posted by BrokenBlood 2 years ago
BrokenBlood
http://www.drugabuse.gov...

Still again its false. I also notice how your providing a government ran site. Just by reading it you can even see fear mongering. weed causing "absent drive" to name one

http://learnaboutmarijuanawa.org...
http://www.canorml.org...

Many other sites are out there as well.

There is no direct link between weed and (causing)mental illnesses
Posted by footballchris561 2 years ago
footballchris561
@BrokenBlood

The only things that is proven to help out of all of those is glaucoma. Most people claim that when they smoke they have more anxiety or paranoia as it is usually described. Studies have shown a link between depression and schizophrenia. But they are not sure if it is actually causing it.

It does not help with any of the other things you say though. It helps reduce pain in cancer, arthritis, and other things. It is not even linked to helping anything else besides pain and glaucoma. It is also effective as a sleep medication.
Posted by BrokenBlood 2 years ago
BrokenBlood
"What about mental issues of being high like Regular cannabis use is known to be associated with an increase in the risk of later developing psychotic illnesses including schizophrenia; and if you have a family background of mental illness, you may also have an increased risk."

Thats false, just saying. Very common misconception anti-marijuana people want you to think.

Also what are the good medical factors?

Slows cancer
Helps various eating disorders
Helps arthritis
Treats glaucoma
Helps epilepsy and seizures.(known fact that cannabis can stop a seizure mid attack.
Decreases anxiety(for about 90% of people)
Slows alzheimers
Helps multiple sclerosis
Bowel disease
Helps metabolism meaning your body wont slow down and make you fat
Helps Lupus

many many others too.

You dont believe me? Look at the evidence, ask doctors, ask scientists.

Propaganda does not equal truth. Fact does and fact dictates marijuana is good for you. Better than the majority of medicines as well.
Posted by arch1ve 2 years ago
arch1ve
Also what are the good medical factors?
Posted by arch1ve 2 years ago
arch1ve
What about mental issues of being high like Regular cannabis use is known to be associated with an increase in the risk of later developing psychotic illnesses including schizophrenia; and if you have a family background of mental illness, you may also have an increased risk.
Posted by BrokenBlood 2 years ago
BrokenBlood
@arcg1ve
The medical benefits of marijuana far far outweigh any harmful side effect of weed.(Smoke going into your lungs.) Besides its truly meant to be eaten so you cause no harm whatsoever.

Smoking it generally has like .001% chance to cause serious or permanent damage.
Posted by footballchris561 2 years ago
footballchris561
We should just legalize everything so that America can be crime free.