steve_the_great
Yanks4eva

Legalism (Pro) or Confucianism (Con)?

steve_the_great

Pro

Legalism - the philosophy that suggests that the human nature is wicked and that a legal system, having strict laws, is a need for people to do good. People are then forced to obey by punishing people harshly.

Confucianism - the philosophy which suggests that for people to do good, the world needs to be peaceful.

First round for acceptance only.
Yanks4eva

Con

I accept the debate.
steve_the_great

Pro

I thank my opponent for accepting this debate.

Detterence

If people are forced to obey the legal laws, otherwise, are punished harshly, it can deter people. Say, you have the potential to steal a grandmother's purse. It'll suddenly come to your head: "No, I shouldn't do that. It's possible that I am not caught. However, I can still be reported, and the punishment will be very harsh. Oooh, not a good idea." However, if the world is peaceful for people to do good, even if the government is to try to talk that person out of doing wrong, for the most part, it won't be convincing enough.

Retribution, thus happy

So, when punished, that can also be in retribution of an offense. Let us use this example again. Let's say, a grandmother is walking by. You steal her purse. That's going to drive her insane, or at least if he escapes along with it. However, when the grandmother realizes that the criminal's hand is sliced off, she'll feel good. Revenge is a common taste. However, if not cut off, at one point, the grandmother might do wrong to replace her anger and bitterness.

Remember, laws are very strict and people are harshly punished when disobedient. So, if she gets her revenge by her, she may be harshly punished too. So, she probably won't. That's going to drive her insane. But again, someone does it for her!

Now, some of you may argue that, "What IF she doesn't realize?" Well, there's a benefit. Sometimes, it won't work. However, sometimes, it will. Removing it will just cost people.

I await my opponent's set of arguments.
Yanks4eva

Con

Yanks4eva forfeited this round.
steve_the_great

Pro

steve_the_great forfeited this round.
Yanks4eva

Con

Yanks4eva forfeited this round.
steve_the_great

Pro

steve_the_great forfeited this round.
Yanks4eva

Con

Yanks4eva forfeited this round.
Posted by Jifpop09 3 years ago
Jifpop09
You tried unsuccessfully fit too long philosophy's into one sentence.
Posted by Jifpop09 3 years ago
Jifpop09
It also gave little regard too peasants, regarding them as the lowest weave of society.
Posted by Jifpop09 3 years ago
Jifpop09
i don't know how much more I can explain legalism. It was a ancient philosophy based on limiting the merchant class,, and fueling the economy through war and agriculture.
Posted by Pfalcon1318 3 years ago
Pfalcon1318
You kind of oversimplify both philosophies. I think it's a little strange that you essentially paint both of them in a negative, and futile light, by not giving more context and weight to the terms. Maybe if you give a more in-depth explanation, possibly in the comment section here, you will get someone who is willing to gain the knowledge base necessary to debate you on this topic. Personally i side with Confucianism, but the way you have explained it does not do the philosophy very much justice. Philosophical debate is among the more challenging kinds (and i consider religion to be a piece of philosophy by the way). So give a little more detail. If someone doesn't accept by 2 March, i will do so.
Posted by Jifpop09 3 years ago
Jifpop09
I have been reading Shang Yangs legalism philosophy and they are quite harsh and ancient. Legalism insures very few human rights.
Posted by Jifpop09 3 years ago
Jifpop09