CheapDirtNone
danhep

Legalization of Marijuana in the U.S.

danhep

CheapDirtNone

Pro

Since the early 1900s, weed has been demonized and considered harmful and destructive. Today, several studies have arose to disprove these theories.
One study suggests that the only effect of cannabis on humans is the temporary loss of short-term memory. Nobody has ever died, or contracted any health issues caused by using weed. The government and smaller organizations including D.A.R.E. have gone out of their way to demonize this plant in an effort to hide it's many uses from the public. Some examples of common propaganda include the theory of weed acting as a "gateway" drug, the theory of weed causing lung cancer/tumors, and countless others. These are all untrue.
danhep

Con

I negate the legalization of marijuana in the U.S
I will be defending the status quo in this round of marijuana being illegal.
1. Drugs rob the user of free will. A drug user cannot make an informed and rational decision to continue using drugs because the use of the drug eliminates that user"s ability to think logically. Nor can they disseminate themselves from drug taking. And if the government was to support this it would allow them to more easily brainwash the people and control them.
2.Drug use is dangerous to persons besides the user. In the rise of health care costs, violence associated with the use of drugs, neglect of children by drug-addicted parents, and other third party effects. It would also minimize productivity. People would be more frequently on the influence at work, on the road, and during other activities putting people at risk and limiting people's capability.
3. The use of soft drugs, such as marijuana, leads to the use of hard drugs (the Gateway Theory). The permission of one drug would spark a revolution to legalize all drugs. Even if it doesn't, it promotes people to "move up" on drug use and "upgrade" to more dangerous, and illegal, drugs.
4. Legalizing drugs will send a message to children that drug use is acceptable. It inherently isn't as non-medical drug use has many substancial problems such as addictions, health problems, and such forther.
Because of these reasons, I negate.
CheapDirtNone

Pro

CheapDirtNone forfeited this round.
danhep

Con

My opponent forfeited this round, so all of my contentions can be extended for the round and no longer refuted by my opponent.

I will now adress my opponent's case. My opponent mentions several downsides to marijuana, and in reply simple says "these are untrue". That is not a way to disprove points. Because of this lack of justification, these points ought to be negated. Thus, my opponents entire case falls. You can cross apply my arguments to his case, thus disproving all of the arguments he made. I strongly urge you to negate
CheapDirtNone

Pro

CheapDirtNone forfeited this round.
danhep

Con

My opponent forfeits and doesn't respond to any of my attacks on his argument so these can be extended for the round. As stated before, all of my contentions stand for the remainder of the round and can no longer be attacked as they weren't responded to originally. In addition, no new arguments can be made in rebuttals.
CheapDirtNone

Pro

CheapDirtNone forfeited this round.
danhep

Con

Extend again
CheapDirtNone

Pro

CheapDirtNone forfeited this round.
danhep

Con

Extend.... vote Con
Posted by allen73 2 years ago
allen73
Let's look at the legalization of Pot in Colorado, here are some reports of the outcome:
(1) DUI drug arrests range from 25 - 40%

(2)in 2012, 10.47 percent of Colorado youth ages 12 to 17 were considered current marijuana users compared to 7.55 percent nationally. Colorado ranked fourth in the nation, and was 39 percent higher than the national average.

(3) Drug-related student suspensions/expulsions increased 32 percent from school years 2008-09 through 2012-13, the vast majority were for marijuana violations.

(4) In 2012, 26.81 percent of college age students were considered current marijuana users compared to 18.89 percent nationally, which ranks Colorado third in the nation and 42 percent above the national average.

(5) In 2013, 48.4 percent of Denver adult arrestees tested positive for marijuana, which is a 16 percent increase from 2008.

(6) From 2011 through 2013 there was a 57 percent increase in marijuana-related emergency room visits.

(7) Hospitalizations related to marijuana has increased 82 percent since 2008.

I cannot vouch for the validity of this particular material, however it

The below information is obtained from drugabuse.gov
(1) One study found that people who smoke marijuana frequently but do not smoke tobacco have more health problems and miss more days of work than those who don"t smoke marijuana, mainly because of respiratory illnesses. (It is not yet known whether marijuana smoking contributes to risk for lung cancer.)
(2)it's estimated that marijuana users have a 4.8-fold increase in the risk of heart attack in the first hour after smoking the drug.
(3)High doses of marijuana can produce a temporary psychotic reaction
(4)Associations have also been found between marijuana use and other mental health problems, such as depression, anxiety, suicidal thoughts among adolescents, and personality disturbances, including a lack of motivation to engage in typically rewarding activities

I've run out of room for addit
Vote Placed by TheJuniorVarsityNovice 2 years ago
TheJuniorVarsityNovice
CheapDirtNonedanhepTied
Reasons for voting decision: It's pathetic when people instigate a debate and then forfeit ever round, I really don't get it...
Vote Placed by Zarroette 2 years ago
Zarroette
CheapDirtNonedanhepTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con's counter-arguments were sufficient and required rebuttal, but there was none, so Con wins arguments. Conduct to Con for Pro's round forfeits.
Vote Placed by Danielle 2 years ago
Danielle
CheapDirtNonedanhepTied
Reasons for voting decision: self-explanatory