Thugzbunyyy
ShadowWolf77

Legalization of Marijuana

Thugzbunyyy

Pro

Hello all, I will be arguing for the legalization of marijuana for medical and recreational use in the United States (to at least a level equivalent to that of alcohol's). I will begin by presenting all my points and their subset points for legalization. I respectfully request for my opponent to refute them, then I will challenge their arguments. This is simply to establish a sense of organization, please and thank you. Also feel free to add any points you may have or to not address any of mine that you choose (if you don't however, I will assume you either acknowledge/agree with my point or cannot refute it). I do not wish to focus on other drugs besides cannabis although I intend to mention them for argumentative purposes if necessary. If you do not understand anything I say, simply ask and I will clarify, no need to be rude.

My Points
1.There will be little to no negative effects to the country/society from marijuana's legalization.
a) Marijuana is not addictive.
b)Marijuana is physically impossible to overdose on
c) Marijuana's supposed "negative" effects, whether long term or short, are negligible, and many of which cannot credibly be declared true.
d) The logic of the gateway theory is fundamentally flawed and therefore it cannot be true
e) Marijuana's intoxicating effects are not harmful to the users or others within itself (i.e. calmness, changes to mood or perception), and therefore responsibility is placed on the user (although it would be anyway).
f) Youth's access to marijuana will not be increased by legalization but will in fact be decreased
g) Assuming it is true that marijuana's psychoactive potency has increased since the 1900's, it is an irrelevant fact seeing as how the negative effects remain unchanged.

2. There will be a plethora of positive effects resulting from marijuana's legalization.
a) The revenue saved and made from marijuana's legalization will be substantial and much needed to the country
b)The medical benefits (known and to be known) of marijuana would benefit many of its citizens, saving lives and creating a greater quality of life for many
c) Legalization will allow regulation of cannabis and therefore a greater degree of damage control. (i.e. preventing child access, reducing drugged driving)
d) Legalization will improve society by ending prosecution and punishment of responsible, contributing citizens simply for committing the victimless crime of consuming cannabis for medical or recreational purposes.
e)Cannabis integration would benefit our culture and uphold our rights as a nation under the constitution.
f ) Gang violence and crime revolving around marijuana will be greatly decreased.
g) Legalization's resulting industry would create jobs and generally benefit the national economy.
h) Marijuana education would be healthy for both youth and adults (because now the only education is lies unless you dig deeper).

3.Marijuana Prohibition altogether is a colossal failure.
a)The whole purpose of cannabis prohibition is to prevent use nationwide, yet, cannabis use is still very prevalent.
b)Because of point a, the adverse societal effects of marijuana (however minuscule) are in effect despite it's prohibition, ergo prohibition is purposeless.
c)marijuana prohibition is exactly the same as the 20's alcohol prohibition save for the failure to end it.

4. It is not the governments place to tell us how to live, but to protect the life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness for the nation.
a) Proof of the government's failure to do this is how a constitutional amendment was needed to sign alcohol prohibition into law (and is now being used to prohibit marijuana). This proves that the views/values this nation was built on differ from those that allow/support prohibition.
ShadowWolf77

Con

The drug should not be legalized because if it is, then other drugs like herion and cocaine might be made legal as well. While it is used to treat diseases like cancer and other medical problems, which I have no problems with, if it was legalized, then dealers would be free to sell it on the streets to anyone they wanted. Crime would go up because as more of it sells, gangs would want to enlarge their territories, thus putting people who live in the areas in the middle of a possible gang war, and cause innocent people to be seriously hurt or killed. Drugs like marijuana are harmful to young children as it messes with their brain, which is still in important developing processes, if legalized then it increases the danger marijuana poses to them. Any drug has a risk of overdose no matter what it is, cocaine and herion are placed in the same category as marijuana, and you can over dose on the two, every drug has the possibility of over dosing.
Thugzbunyyy

Pro

Thugzbunyyy forfeited this round.
ShadowWolf77

Con

Another reason that marijuana should not be legalized because it could cause young children to think that it's ok to do drugs. Legalizing drugs is like telling a teen it's ok to engage in risky behavior, when drugs are involved, there is an increase of possible death or permeant injury. I'll agree that prescribed drugs are just as easily abused, but this drug should be used due to its "safe" use, when actually it could cause serious problems later on in life or cause a serious reaction due to a existing medical condition. Again this can happen with prescribed drugs, but the drug in question is just as dangerous as herion and cocaine.
Thugzbunyyy

Pro

Thugzbunyyy forfeited this round.
ShadowWolf77

Con

I've said all I'm going to as I think I have proved my point.
Thugzbunyyy

Pro

There is no nice way to say this so i just will. I was simply uninterested in debating you because not only did you not follow my provided format, but your arguments portray that your level of ignorance regarding marijuana is quite significant. For example, "if it was legalized, then dealers would be free to sell it on the streets to anyone they wanted." And, "any drug has a risk of overdose no matter what it is, cocaine and heroin are placed in the same category as marijuana, and you can over dose on the two, every drug has the possibility of over dosing." Also, " Crime would go up because as more of it sells, gangs would want to enlarge their territories, thus putting people who live in the areas in the middle of a possible gang war, and cause innocent people to be seriously hurt or killed." These statements (and some of your others) are incredibly fallacious and uninformed. I suggest you either research the topic or at least view my other debates. I will post this argument again, however, please only accept if/when you are more knowledgeable in the subject thank you. Take this as you will.
ShadowWolf77

Con

I'll say this as nice as I can, you don't like what people have to say, then don't start debates like this if you don't like the others opinion, at least respect the others opinion even if you don't like it, take it as you will, just respect others opinions.