SuperAwesomeMusician
KacynWilliams

Legalization of Marijuana

KacynWilliams has forfeited round #3.
Voting Style: Judge Point System: 7 Point

SuperAwesomeMusician

Con

I firmly believe that marijuana should not be legalized. It is nothing less than a drug. Legalizing it increases the likelihood that it will be used. Marijuana is not good for the body or for society. Legalization would endanger the economy, and it would be foolish to do so.
KacynWilliams

Pro

I do not agree with you in the slightest. I get it, some people abuse this substance, but it isn't just a drug, it's a healer in a way. There is many people that consider caffeine a drug, yet lots of people do it each day and aren't judged for it, so why should something that can ease your pain not be legalized? Marijuana is not something that I would personally do, not because it's illegal, but because I just don't feel like it and I don't want to. There is some drug problems in the United States, and they aren't going away any time soon. Marijuana isn't bad for your body, as it is a medical substance. Doctors wouldn't prescribe something that they don't know will help or not, they prescribe it because they do know that it will help with your mind and also whatever condition you have. I've had marijuana in my life my whole life, a few times for personal use, and my mom. She did marijuana for her cancer, and now she is completely fine, mostly because marijuana made her not worried about it. For once she wasn't worried about dying from something that she thought would kill her. So yes, it should be legalized, not just in the United States, but the whole world in my opinion.
SuperAwesomeMusician

Con

I do see where you are coming from. However, you have to realize that marijuana actually is bad for your body. According to Healthline's article "The Effects of Marijuana on the Body", marijuana is very similar to tobacco, in that it "is made up of a variety of toxic chemicals that can irritate your bronchial passages and lungs." Also, when it comes to younger people whose brains are not fully developed, "marijuana can have a lasting impact on thinking and memory skills." Teens, for example, are still in some of the heaviest stages of brain development. Those who smoke marijuana have impaired brain development. So when you say that doctors wouldn't be prescribing it if it was bad, you really have to look deeper into the issue. There are also many doctors out there who do not know what they're doing. While marijuana may have clear medicinal uses, that doesn't take away the fact that it still damages the body in other ways, as science has proven time and time again.

I'm glad that you are also providing evidence to support your claim. However, the evidence you have provided classifies as a logical fallacy, or faulty thinking. The case which you have presented may in fact be true for you and your mom, but this one example is not near enough information to go against the countless scientific studies of marijuana on the body.

Because of these dangers that are presented with the use of marijuana, I still firmly believe that it should remain illegal in order to protect our communities.
KacynWilliams

Pro

I can definitely see where you're coming from, but I think there can be many different kinds of marijuana. Marijuana loaded with THC is definitely not good for you or your body, but when you take careful consideration into different kinds that can come out of doctors and or what your grow on your own, you can see that some of it can help with certain problems. I know that THC shouldn't really make a difference in your opinion, I beg you to look into it. I know that marijuana should most likely stay illegal, as it would cause problems with kids who already abuse the substance.
SuperAwesomeMusician

Con

I just realized that my topic was a bit vague. What I should have said was "Legalization of Marijuana for Recreational Use". While I still disagree with medical uses, I am most passionate about it being legalized for recreational use. I strongly believe it should not be.

You were right regarding the THC chemical. I have no problem doing some more research as you requested, but I hope you can respect that I feel there are better ways to handle medical problems than using marijuana.

So, with this topic established, how do you feel about legalizing marijuana for recreational use? The way I see it, doing so would greatly endanger communities.
Posted by SuperAwesomeMusician 8 months ago
SuperAwesomeMusician
Yes indeed. I live in Arizona, where it was put on the voting ballot, but thankfully people were smart enough to vote it out. I agree with you in that it shouldn't be legalized for recreational use. Although, I'm sure it will happen next time it gets on the ballot.
Posted by FanboyMctroll 8 months ago
FanboyMctroll
It's already legal in Colorado, New Jersey and Washington State, Canada is going to legalize it by July 2018.

I don't agree with it but that's just my opinion, most people are for it and I think that is why they are legalizing it everywhere.

We saw what happened during prohibition with alcohol, it didn't work and alcohol is legal
SuperAwesomeMusician
I know it is already legal for medical use. I was a big vague in the subject, but I'm talking about legalizing it for recreational use.
Posted by John_C_1812 8 months ago
John_C_1812
Marijuana is already legal this can easily be proved by sale of hemp rope. I would question the implication you are making on describing an lack of ability to limit a persons right to grow their own materials to make rope, or herb Tea for that matter.

The issues at hand uses of marijuana regulation and they become complex having many legal precedent never real talked about outside a person of a getting high. Which has its own limited issues as second had consumption can take place.

First and the most direct problem was the Governing bodies responsibility to regulate potential of poising by Marijuana introduction, as it is publicly consumed and has a precedent of alcohol. The issue of legalizing by declaration of law, simply saying it is legal in writing has no basic limit. Also some States like California have already given approval to chemically additives under a declaration of independence to insure the way cigarettes burn for public safety.

There have been several movies and T.V. shows which show marijuana being used as a way to introduce stronger narcotics unknowingly into consumers. this was comparative to the issues of alcohol blindness which use to take place during prohibition.

Which in a way give permission for State regulators a permission to poison possible consumers as we are now talking the difference between such things as organic Tabaco.s and chemically treated Tabaco's.